HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2001, 03:52 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Who's going to Sandown?

I would like to go if I can . . . I'd love to see some of the new models flying (especially the Multiplex Cargo).

Ben C
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2001, 04:37 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2001
76 Posts
Hey Ben, i will be travelling with my dad there also from Plymouth, what club do you fly at?
Matthew
Matthew_Williamson is offline Find More Posts by Matthew_Williamson
Old May 28, 2001, 04:45 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
I'm going on Sunday (as usual) with three club mates from Manchester. Not going for anything specific, just like to see what is new and who is flying it.

Bit like a ToysRus for model fliers!

Richard.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old May 28, 2001, 06:21 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
I'll give Sandown a miss, I think - I'll save the 50 quid it would cost me in petrol, and wait until my local Telford show. There won't be the same choice, I know, and its mostly glo-orientated but my needs are small.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jun 04, 2001, 06:17 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
I couldn't make it, the weather wasn't too good (particularly on Saturday) which must have hit the flying a bit. When it's windy the turbulence off the grandstand can be pretty extreme.

Ben, did you get to see a Cargo fly?

Hope they had better luck than Biggin Hill. For those outside the UK, at this (full-size) show they lost a DH Vampire on Saturday and a King Cobra yesterday ... all 3 aircrew died.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jun 04, 2001, 01:32 PM
Beaconsfield,Bucks,England
Joined Apr 2001
30 Posts
Ben, I made ti to Sandown on Satuday, damn cold and so crowded that you could hardly get to the stands, still managed to part with a few quid though!!
Saw the cargo fly a couple of times and even in that strong wind it perform great. It looked quite DC3'ish in flight and managed to loop but didn't see it roll. They drop a few para'a from it, they of course just blew right over the Grandstand. Impressive but a lot of money. The kit of the year has to be the Twin Jet, if I saw one person carring one out then I must have seen 50. But the one that I realy liked was the Tucano from RCM&E. They flew very well, fully aerobatic and considering the wind strength very stable. They even had some kits for 35 so I have one on order. Word is that theyu will be generaly available from RCM&E later this year.

Gordon....
Mudlark2 is offline Find More Posts by Mudlark2
Old Jun 04, 2001, 01:36 PM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
I got to Sandown on the Sunday and had a great time, not the Sandown of old, but still a pretty good day out.

Did see the Cargo Bill, very impressed - they dropped the parachutes and flew around for ages - even resorting to looping and rolling them (seemingly effortless!) but I did notice that they were flying them on the gearbox options and not the standard direct drive. ROG was no problem, even with a 15mph cross wind on the strip. 100 + gearboxes / props / more mini's / ESC - don't think I can justify it at the moment, I'll stick to my Tj and F16 and maybe consider it should one of them bite the dust in the not too distant future!

Trade was down at the show this year, don't know if they are priced out by the organisers but soon it won't be worth going at all - plenty of TwinJet's being carried around and quite a few StarJet's from Ripmax (although I wasn't as impressed and they seem to 'avoid' flying them up against each other????).

Richard.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old Jun 04, 2001, 02:26 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
I went on the Saturday. The weather was basically cold and windy but the rain held off for all but 20 mins before lunch. I came back with a lighter wallet (Twinstar, 8 cell 2400 pack, 4 HS 81 servos, Hitec slim rx, etc.)

The West London Models gliders were awesome. Amazing vertical performance. I'll post again if I can find out any more details (hopefully phone WLM tomorrow).

The Cargo was cool and great looking but the parachutist did get stuck in the bomb doors - they had to loop it a few times before it fell out, and it finally descended when the Cargo was really high up (700-1000 feet?). It was blown swiftly away over the grandstand.

Ben C
Old Jun 06, 2001, 01:01 PM
London, England
Joined Dec 1999
194 Posts
The WLM glidersare Simprop Lift offs. They are powered by Aveox F16s and 16 cells.
Mark.
Mark Grant is offline Find More Posts by Mark Grant
Old Jun 06, 2001, 03:26 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Thanks Mark