SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2008, 10:22 PM
The Ultimate Interceptor!
United States, CA, Hilmar-Irwin
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Looks sweet J. The Bf-109 is one of my all time favorites as well. Looks like its going together really nice and easy or are you just that fast?

There's nothing like the sound of a DB 601. Here's a little something for you and HJ.....enjoy!

Messerschmitt BF 109G-6 (Take off/Flight/Landing) (2 min 36 sec)
DeltaDart is offline Find More Posts by DeltaDart
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2008, 10:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,455 Posts
the supercharger on that thing sounds wicked! sounds more like a turbo.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 02, 2008, 10:49 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelsguy
Hi J,
Nice build as usual; it's going to end up looking a lot like my Tony. About the same wingspan, and mine ended up at 22 oz. flying weight.
What colors cheme?

Ivor
Thanks Ivor,
Mine will be much heavier than that. Haven't weighed it lately but I'm sure it's around 13 or 14 oz already. But the major components are done. Haven't decided on scheme yet, there are so many to choose from!

DD,
That is a great video. Especially like the first landing where he's crabbing into the crosswind before touchdown.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Sep 03, 2008, 01:22 AM
Joined Jun 2008
583 Posts
That first landing was neat. i never realized the main gear was set at such an angle.
Tripod333 is offline Find More Posts by Tripod333
Old Sep 03, 2008, 07:42 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod333
That first landing was neat. i never realized the main gear was set at such an angle.
They had alot of accidents with that narrow gear, especially late in the war when more pilots had less training.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2008, 09:04 AM
The Ultimate Interceptor!
United States, CA, Hilmar-Irwin
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
They had alot of accidents with that narrow gear, especially late in the war when more pilots had less training.

J
I think that same aircraft had a landing accident attributed to the narrow gear that rendered it unairworthy. The actual accident footage is on youtube somewhere.
DeltaDart is offline Find More Posts by DeltaDart
Old Sep 03, 2008, 09:38 AM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
Probably the reason Kurt Tank made the 190's undercarriage inward closing so the struts could be placed extremely far apart.
GotrekGurnisson is offline Find More Posts by GotrekGurnisson
Old Sep 03, 2008, 11:08 AM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
San Carlos, CA
Joined Mar 2004
734 Posts
I think that most fighters of that era used inward-closing LG. There is a penalty when doing this: the wing needs to be stronger so that it supports both the full weight of the plane and the torsion momentum under the fuse.

Placing the struts under the fuse eliminates this issue and allows the plane to be lighter. Maybe they were counting on the pilot's experience to properly land the 109.

I wonder how a cartwheel looked like when landing in severe crosswinds

Serban
gigelus2k3 is offline Find More Posts by gigelus2k3
Old Sep 03, 2008, 07:09 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
I think a cartwheel in an aircraft is pretty ugly no matter what plane it is.

Got the wing done and mounted today so I taped it all together for glide tests. I didn't even run MAC on it. Figured I had done enough of these to get close without it. Placed the CG where I thought it should be and missed it by a full inch! Nose heavy. So much for experience.
Anyway, I have a 34 cm root chord on the middle section and I found a good glide at 10 cm from the LE at the root. I haven't checked yet but I'll bet it's about 22-25% of MAC.
Now that the CG is established I can get along with the finishing. Took 6.5 oz of lead to balance it and glided at 22 oz as she sits. If I come in ~40 oz, I'll be thrilled!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2008, 08:48 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
General Morgan, that looks like a nice bird. A good size also. It's good to see you tackling some warbirds again, you sure do a good job!

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper
Old Sep 04, 2008, 02:59 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
J M & H-J,
Looking good guys!! Now I will have to build one to go alongside my H-J Spit!!!So many planes !! just when I tell myself (and my Mrs) "when I finish this, I won't build another for a while" another great design comes out!! Cest La Vie?!! Great fun though!! I'm watching your progress with great interest. They are going to be great.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Sep 04, 2008, 05:06 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Thanks FJ & Adrian,
haven't had much time to work on it. I had started a F4F Wildcat build previous to this but put it on the back burner when I realized I don't have time to finish both before Vegas.
I had a request for a pic of it so here it is. I'm going to redo the wings into a proper airfoil like the Bf. I hurried them and tried to use just spars but as you can see, I was just wasting my time. It would fly on them but they just won't look right.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:42 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Sitting in the motel surfing......doing some research on the 109( as if I don't already have enough material! )
Nice pic of a F Model. And a instrument panel.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2008, 10:19 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,445 Posts
Hi J
Really nice painting of the 109, Do they have any more of WWII planes? Can you post the web page?
Ivor
fuelsguy is online now Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Sep 07, 2008, 10:34 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelsguy
Hi J
Really nice painting of the 109, Do they have any more of WWII planes? Can you post the web page?
Ivor
Hi,
Sorry to but in, and maybe a little off topic but check out http://www.gava.org.uk/ (Guild of Aviation Artists). My cousin is a member. Here is one of his paintings.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye