HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:27 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Discussion
Super Skids on a HBFP??? (not happy)

I'm new to heli's (not RC) and my HBFP is my first heli. I've spent a few days now busting up the stock skids and decided to buy a set of Super Skids. What I am disappointed in is the attachment of the skid to the stock HBFP chassis. The supplied screws are too short and the actual attachment point is not molded correctly to match up with the frame (at the point of where the screws attach.

Is it just me?

Thanks,
Jon
Valid8r is offline Find More Posts by Valid8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:47 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
yes it is just you, you probably have th SSkids mounts turned around backwards so they dont line up. did you take off the stock skid mounts that are screwed to the frame? you need to do that and screw the SSkid mount to the frame.
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:52 PM
United States, IL, Carbondale
Joined Jun 2005
443 Posts
They worked for me as well. If you're using the 3d version (i.e. without the boom support, I think it's called a knighthead?), make sure you reinforce the spot where the boom goes into the frame (search for picts on this site). Mine broke there, I was practicing my hard landing technique when it snapped (yeah that's it)

Berardino
baratta930 is offline Find More Posts by baratta930
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:53 PM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Probably right, but I did remove the stock skids and am screwing the new skids directly to the frame. I also turned them around so they are pointing forward. What bothers me is that I had to use the long screws to 'reach' the frame and that results in a gap between the frame and the SS attachment. It's as if the frame is 'suspended' between the SS attachment via the long screws...

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Jon
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:50 AM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
They do fit and work VERY well! If anything.. drill out the holes and use nuts and bolts if your are somehow not right... they NEVER broke! My brother is not learning helis with my original Superskids!
Slyster is offline Find More Posts by Slyster
Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:33 AM
New York
Joined Nov 2003
509 Posts
A picture might help...
MGeo is offline Find More Posts by MGeo
Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:26 AM
Joined Jan 2005
226 Posts
I think I know what you mean....

Using the short screws, they are only supposed to go into the tabs, not the actual frame itself - this is how the stock ones mount.

I have however, used the longer screws because the tabs on the frame broke.
jazzy is offline Find More Posts by jazzy
Old Aug 16, 2008, 02:08 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
they should look like this
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:28 PM
Maine, USA
Joined Nov 2005
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid8r
I'm new to heli's (not RC) and my HBFP is my first heli. I've spent a few days now busting up the stock skids and decided to buy a set of Super Skids. What I am disappointed in is the attachment of the skid to the stock HBFP chassis. The supplied screws are too short and the actual attachment point is not molded correctly to match up with the frame (at the point of where the screws attach.
Is it just me?
It's not just you, Jon, but the reason the SuperSkids don't fit right is because your frame is broken. There are keyed posts that the stock landing gear slide over. Your posts are broken off your frame, so it seems like the SuperSkids mounts are too wide where they attach to the frame. Sometimes they break when you remove the stock landing gear because people don't realize they're keyed, and they twist them off. Sometimes they just break during hard landings. Since they are keyed, there's no room for movement (or give). SuperSkids mount to these posts, but are not keyed so there is some flexibility.
You might want to check your old landing gear and see if the posts are still in the holes. You can use them as spacers and still mount the SuperSkids. If you don't have them, you can use other spacers (or just none at all) and the longer screws that came with your SuperSkids kit. I installed SuperSkids on a HBFP frame with broken posts and flew it for 9 months that way with no problems.

Here are some pictures to help explain the broken mounting posts.

Gary
GTX_SlotCar is offline Find More Posts by GTX_SlotCar
Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:39 AM
Valid8r
Boston and Belgium
Joined Jul 2004
943 Posts
Gary - thank you for your very good explaination of my problem. You are exactly correct in your assumption of my situation. Have made numerous repairs to my original HBFP skids and apparently broken off all of the keyed posts, I had no idea they had ever been there to begin with. Now that I at least understand this, I no longer think I am crazy. I could not figure out how to explain this and it was too difficult to get photo's like yours that I just figured that I was doing something wrong.

I am much happier now with this information and can use it to improve the mounting that I have made without the posts.

Thanks again for taking the time to resolve this for me.

Jon