HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2008, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1 Posts
Discussion
Hobby City = Hobby King (zippy hxt lipo battery)

Hobby City is an online store operated out of China or Hong Kong. I am just warning everyone that their service deserves an F in my book. I have place 2 orders with them and had horrible experiences both times. My warning is if they don't have something in stock, do not place your order as backorder. They will give you a credit rather than a refund. The phone number listed on their site is to make their service looks good. It is impossible to talk to anyone. When I email them regarding a brand new lipo battery I bought that failed, I did not even get a response. If you look at their return policy (if they even honor it) you have to ship the item back to them at your expense and pay for another shipping fee to get it back to you. So before you try to save a few bucks, think about the potential headache you have to deal with.
In comparison, I have dealt with Horizon Hobby and their service is way beyond expectation.

Your Are Warned
pharmasite is offline Find More Posts by pharmasite
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
I've had nothing but good experiances with Hobby City and have recommended them to others.

Oh, and I see you're new here; welcome to RC Groups.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:49 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Its a wide known fact that placing a backorder item on order with hobbycity is not the way to go. I have had nothing but good experiences and smaller credit card bills.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Aug 15, 2008, 08:03 PM
Joined Jul 2005
285 Posts
Hobbycity is awesome!!!! but like the others say, MAKE SURE THE STOCK IS THERE! ive had 4 orders with them over the last 5 months, and its been great! 3 weeks ago, i won a Scorpion 2221-8 on ebay from a fellow in california. two weeks later i bought 12 servos and some other electronics from Hobbycity, i got my order from hobbycity in 7 days, from HongKong to Canada, in 7 days (thats been the average for all the orders.)

my Scorpion from California took 21 days to get to me here. and the guy mailed it 3 days after the auction end.... so, like 17 days. retarded, eh?
ginnz is offline Find More Posts by ginnz
Old Aug 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
Savoy, Tx
Joined May 2006
213 Posts
Yeah, my 1st order was a nightmare also because one item went backorder
after I placed the order and was holding up shipping the rest of my order.
have placed 4-5 orders since then and all was great.
As for lipo's, I just received a Rhino 4s 4900 pack aand only bench tested it so far, but it's great. I paid $80.00 through Hobby City and had it shipped to me in 3 days for 25 bucks along with the rest of my order. I never would have bought a 40 size plane if not for these batteries. I can't afford the name brand packs in these larger battery sizes.
Craymar is offline Find More Posts by Craymar
Old Aug 15, 2008, 08:20 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
i just bought some Zippy's for my Compy....i was very pleased with the service. batteries got here faster than i expected
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Last edited by KCinNC; Aug 15, 2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: ahhh, you must work for Horizon...being this is your first post???
Old Aug 15, 2008, 08:33 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Ive ordered from Hobbycity a couple times and both times were pretty good. I wont place an order with an item being in a backordered status and I wont place an order unless the item Im buying shows more than 50(At least I know I will be less likely to get a backordered item) I bought 3 sets of the zippy 20C batteries earlier this year and they are still going strong, flying them in my 450 size helis.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:39 PM
Pirouetting flip master
Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
well, looks like you are the only one who has problem with them.
last time i bought a zippy 1300mah 20c, one cell is pregnant.
i emailed them and they did feedback.
i posted back the faulty lipo through registered airmail.
and after maybe one months the new lipo was shipped to me. (due to out of stock).
i only pay one way shipping.

and yes, i also do not order backorder things.
it is just too time consuming.
split out your orders.
lyclyc is offline Find More Posts by lyclyc
Old Aug 16, 2008, 04:55 PM
Glitch
kauai, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2006
534 Posts
Same here. I've ordered about $700.00 worth of items, mostly lipos if they are in stock. Once they process my order it takes an average of 3 days to Hawaii. Best lipo prices and service so far. So far no issues and will gladly recommend them. If you are able to wait for an item than place a B/O if not look elsewhere.

Steve
Stephen Shioi is offline Find More Posts by Stephen Shioi
Old Aug 16, 2008, 05:43 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
Ive had an awesome ride with hobbycity.
Honestly I think that ANYONE who is not able to reach them on the phone is ignorant... Try calling them during THEIR hours, Not 8-5 in the WESTERN HEMISPHERE.

MAJOR LEAGUE DUH

And I've had to call them on two orders, got the cute sounding little girls twice, they had my problems resolved ASAP. Once on a newly backordered battery. (They emailed me 12-48 hours after I placed the order to tell me. I called them around 10-10:30am HK time. Asked them if they would swap the ordered pack for an equivilant pack. They did & shipped it the next day.)

HK's time zone is GMT +8, North American time zones are GMT -4 through GMT -8, depending on what time of the year it is.

For real... Quit calling them
IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT
and *maybe* someone will pic up the phones................

And the only shipping delay problems I've ever had were from US Customs, Not much anyone can do about that... Sometimes a pallet goes through, sometimes they like to act like they're doing something useful.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Aug 16, 2008, 07:11 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
HobbyCity is the best place to order inexpensive products. I give them A+++. Email customer service is great and fast. Like any other stores if you want to return something or replace you must return it to the Seller. Since HobbyCity is located HK then you must return it back to HK.
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I'm currently awaiting order #27 from them. I've started doing the EMS shipping and the darn stuff arrives in 5 days or less. A typical order from TowerHobbies takes 10-14 days and they're only a few hundred miles away. HobbyCity is THOUSANDS of miles away. I never order backorders except for LiPos and on those I place a separate order. I recommend HobbyCity ALL THE TIME! They have cut the price for me to put electronics in a plane from $300 on average to about $100!!! Thank you HobbyCity!
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:38 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1 Posts
I have an order that I placed with HobbyCity back on Feb 9th and although the status was changed to shipped about 7 days ago, the shipment never even left Hong Kong. In fact, the USPS agent indicated that they have never even received the package for shipment, rather they only got a message from HobbyCity that a package was coming.

So, now the shipment is still sitting in HobbyCity warehouse, flagged as shipped, and 10 days have already passed. I am about to cancel. In all fairness my first order went ok after getting past Chinese new year.

So, they get an A- on the first shipment and an F on the second, these gives them a C or C- average in my book.
krybaby_1 is offline Find More Posts by krybaby_1
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:52 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krybaby_1
I have an order that I placed with HobbyCity back on Feb 9th and although the status was changed to shipped about 7 days ago, the shipment never even left Hong Kong. In fact, the USPS agent indicated that they have never even received the package for shipment, rather they only got a message from HobbyCity that a package was coming.

So, now the shipment is still sitting in HobbyCity warehouse, flagged as shipped, and 10 days have already passed. I am about to cancel. In all fairness my first order went ok after getting past Chinese new year.

So, they get an A- on the first shipment and an F on the second, these gives them a C or C- average in my book.

That sounds funny. The package is still in transit and you are assuming the package is still in warehouse. What makes you think that package is still in warehouse? USPS doesn't have a tracking system but they have delivery confirmation system. USPS agent won't know anything until the package arrives to your house. Stop complaining and wait for the delivery.
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:52 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,283 Posts
i have ordered about 5-6 times from them and all orders shipped nicelly and no problems.

great to save a lot on money for other things , only thing i dont like is it takes 7-14 days for there lowest shipping option, but hey, thats how we save

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn