Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 02, 2001, 12:29 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,456 Posts
Big sailplane, or Small HLG for first sailplane

I've previously owned a Dynaflite Skeeter that I never really flew much.

Which would be better, a larger sailplane (2meters or bigger) or one of the small HLG's.

I like the big ones because they are so majestic, but the little ones are cute, and can be transported easily. (That and they will fit in a dorm room next year a little better.)

I have flown everything from a litestick, to .40 slimer trainers, fun flys, and Quikee 500 pylon racers so pilot skill is no problem.

My ultimate question is......what will I get more enjoyment from. Right now I'm leaning towards a small HLG.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2001, 02:08 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,004 Posts
I would say a small HLG. It can be taken anywhere and flown, just about. A two meter will require more Dorm room and probably at least a high start to get it up and flying. The HLG you just toss it around and hunt for thermal, or throw it into the back of the car and find a small slope.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2001, 06:57 AM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
What Troy said. Get something with reasonably good performance so that you can speck it out every so often and keep the interest up. It's great practice for reading air when you do go to a bigger one.
Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old May 02, 2001, 07:34 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I'm going with what Troy said as well. I think you will find yourself flying more with a HLG then with a 2M. I started out flying HLG's as a learning tool and I think it was a great way to go. If you get tired of tossing it around you can always get a small hi-start.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH