Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:53 PM
Randy
Joined Jul 2008
50 Posts
Build Log
MicroHeli Belt Drive Conversion Kit for Blade CP Pro

MicroHeli Belt Drive Conversion Kit PN: MH-CP001BS
For Blade CP, Blade CP Pro, Honey Bee CP2 Helicopters

The package arrived at my house within four days of the order.
They shipped the product via DHL ground 5 Business day service.
Packaging was very nice and there wasnít any signs of damage
to the product.

I opened the box and was very pleased to find all components of
the kit where packaged and labeled according to the setup instructions.
The setup is broken down into eight very simple steps and most of the assembly that would be difficult has already been completed for you.

Step 1
Main Shaft Tower Assembly

In this step you will assemble the main shaft tower. All pieces
required for the setup are located in a bag labeled Part 01. Assembly
of this part went very smooth overall, the only thing I noticed was
that the lower servo mount required some force to get it to seat on
the main shaft tower. I used a cloth to protect the metal and then
used a pair of pliers to press the mount onto the tower. the tower includes
a tripple bearing setup and the bearings are tight and smooth. Setup
took approximately 15minutes to complete this step.

Step 2
Tail Rotor Assembly

The only thing required to complete this step is to install the blades on the tail rotor assembly. I did notice that the screws that hold the blades on are a little too short. I used a 2x8mm screw rather that a 2x6mm screw supplied and filed off the remaining threads. With the 2x6 screw you could not catch more than 1 thread on the nut, all is good now. Setup took approximately 15 minutes to complete this step.

Step 3
Tail Pitch Slider Assembly (MH-CP193)

Step three is to build and install the tail pitch slider assembly, however as you can see from step 2 this has already been completed. Nothing to do except proceed to step four. Setup took approximately 1 minute (had to notice it was already done) to completion of this step.

Step 4
Tail System Assembly

In this step you will complete the tail of the helicopter. This was a very simple step other than one small issue. The aluminum horizontal fin holder had a piece of metal stuck in the threads. Simply using a tap set I was able to fix the problem. Overall this entire step was pretty simple. The time to complete this task was 20 minutes.

Step 5
Landing Gear Assembly

Assembly of the landing gear went very smooth. The only issue I ran into was getting the yellow plugs into the landing skids. I took a Phillips screw driver and reamed the holes slightly to get the plugs started. Everything after that was cake. The time to complete this task was 30 minutes.

Step 6
Upper Frame Assembly

This step was fairly simple. All the pieces lined up perfect no modifications needed. Donít stop now you are almost done. Completion of this task took 20 minutes.

Step 7
CNC Belt Drive Kit Assembly (MH-CP001BS)

In this step you will attach the all the pieces you have built in the last 6 steps together. The diagram is not very clear on what direction to turn the belt, however I hope you know what direction your head rotates so this should not pose a problem if you stop and look at things. The belt was a little tight, I almost thought I had to shorten the tail boom until I noticed it could slide further into the tail rotor assembly. You find out in this step that they thru in an extra main shaft. Completion of this task took 30 minutes.

Step 8
Completion of the Belt Drive Kit

The only step left to complete the kit is to attachť the tail push rod to the pitch lever. The push rod ends needed to be filed quite a bit as the pitch lever would not fit in-between. I used a nail file and the problem was solved. I then noticed that the push rod end was hitting the tail fin so I had to cut away some of the fin to solve this problem. Completion of this task took 25 minutes.

The total time to assemble the kit was 2 hours and 45 minutes. I was very pleased with the entire process, all the pieces are High quality CNC Aircraft Aluminum 6061 and there isnít any plastic other than the push rod ends. It would be nice if tail boom was polished or perhaps powder coated but this is definitely not a show stopper. There isnít a mount for the upper part of the canopy but if you have an old stock skid that you kept you can use the carbon rod from that. They did drill the holes for it they just didnít include the carbon rod.

Electronics

I attempted to use as much as possible from my Blade CP Pro, I figured since this is an upgrade I should try the stock parts that I can use before using better. One has to assume if you do have a CP Pro and are going for a belt drive upgrade that you have already done the brushless upgrade as well as the heading lock gyro. If not no big deal as the park 370 motor is not the one MicroHeli nor I suggest.

I used the stock E-flite servos and since I have a few CP Proís I also used a stock E-flite servo for the tail. I am using an E-flite G90 Gyro. For the motor I used the Park 370 with a 10 tooth pinion, controlled by the CC Phoenix 25 ESC. For a battery I used the stock E-flite 800mah 11.1v lipo, and a Spectrum AR6200 receiver. Flight times are 6.5 minutes with this setup.

Head Set

I used the stock CP Pro head set with the exception of the blades and the swash plate. I use the MicroHeli 255mm FRP carbon fiber blades part number MH-CP088. These Blades drastically improved the performance of the stock Blade CP Pro and can take a hit without falling apart. They are longer and thinner than the stock blades so you gain stability with increased lift all the while decreasing drag. I use the upgraded CNC swash plate MH-CP012B because I like to run higher head speeds and the stock swash plate has a lot of play do to cheap bearings.

First Flight

For the first flight I installed training gear. Every thing looked great but why risk it, test with gear first. I spun up the helicopter to 90% power very slow watching for any signs of a problem. Everything went smooth and nothing appeared to be wrong so I lifted it off the skids. Now let me tell you for a first flight I was quite impressed, the tail held solid with very crisp response. All bearings sounded great and very little trim was required, Once trimmed I could remove my right hand momentarily from the stick and she sat pretty in the air. At this point I was wondering why I put the training gear on so I took it off and went at it. I spun up to 95% power and took off for flight. The park 370 main motor was seriously under powered for this setup with that being said it still performed without any problems. I ran a few circuits followed by drastic changes in collective to see how it responded. This is when I noticed the 370 crying. The tail never drifted from me and most important of the entire helicopter was very stable. I have not had the chance to push this heliís limits because I do not have the power to do so until the recommended motor arrives. MicroHeli recommends that you use the Hacker E3-49 motor so I will get it on order as soon as possible and post an update.

My thoughts

Building this kit was very easy and straight forward. The instructions are drawing diagrams of each step and are pretty much straight forward. You can pick one up for $287.00 from MicroHeli but I have seen it online for $209.00. Craftsmanship is very nice and the entire setup is made from High quality CNC Aircraft Aluminum 6061 and a few parts are carbon fiber and Delrin. All of the bearings are smooth as well as tight. I am not sure if I would call it and upgrade to the Blade CP, Blade CP Pro, Honey Bee CP2 or if I would call it a helicopter of its own minus the head and electronics. In reality if you already have a nice radio you could purchase a replacement head set for the CP Pro, a Hacker motor with ESC, a receiver three Hitec HS55 servoís and one Hitec HS50 for the tail, a battery and you have yourself one heck of a helicopter. I understand some will say to just get a TREX however I donít think they would say the same if they tried this out. If you like helicopters and want something as stable as a TREX this is the way to go. I give MicroHeli there props they have made a very nice product. I would like to see the price go down a little but I canít complain all in all.

Randy
tiptonre is offline Find More Posts by tiptonre
Last edited by tiptonre; Aug 14, 2008 at 06:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2008
122 Posts
need pics!
midlifez is offline Find More Posts by midlifez
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
PC guru and Heli NUT!
Joined Dec 2005
631 Posts
We cant see the pics.
You cant hot link to them from here.
You need to put them on a host like photobucket or something.
megaglow_Z is offline Find More Posts by megaglow_Z
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:13 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Never mind... tried a different way to link images that didn't work.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:02 AM
Randy
Joined Jul 2008
50 Posts
Sorry guy's I will take care of this ASAP...
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
Randy
Joined Jul 2008
50 Posts
Should be fixed, Sorry about that.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
I can see em
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:03 PM
Randy
Joined Jul 2008
50 Posts
Cool thanks for letting me know.

Randy
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:26 PM
walkera (ab)user
Joined Jul 2007
143 Posts
you might wanna flip them tailblades around tho'
gimbal is offline Find More Posts by gimbal
Old Aug 15, 2008, 08:07 AM
Randy
Joined Jul 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal
you might wanna flip them tailblades around tho'
a friend of mine pointed that out to me thanks for the good eye. I have not had the honors of building a belt drive until this point. I have three cp pro's and this belt drive kit as one of them. I have flown the TREX 600n, the TREX 500cf the 450se v2 quite a bit so I have a good understanding of what to compare flight to. It makes sense to me that you would want the blades cutting the air forced down from the main. I should have caught that. my bad I will get her fixed.
new pic tail rotation corrected.
Last edited by tiptonre; Aug 17, 2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:37 AM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
About time someone bought this kit, I've been eyeballin' it for more than a year now.
Nice pics, qualitiy of the kit looks good.

Now let's have some video please.
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:55 AM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
I just noticed that some of the screws have rust on them, I would not put up with that at that price.
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:55 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=3101

This frame has no replacement parts available.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:41 PM
Randy
Joined Jul 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an
I just noticed that some of the screws have rust on them, I would not put up with that at that price.

Its red loctite, I think anyway. I looked at that as well and noticed it was on all pre assembled screws. I removed one and now believe it is red loctite. My loctite is blue as can also be seen, my bad I over did it a little on that. Those screws are tiny...
Last edited by tiptonre; Aug 15, 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
Randy
Joined Jul 2008
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an
About time someone bought this kit, I've been eyeballin' it for more than a year now.
Nice pics, qualitiy of the kit looks good.

Now let's have some video please.
I am going to get a better motor and I will record some flight for you. Payday is next week so it will be a couple weeks.

The first flight with the park 370 was ok but that motor canít produce the power needed.