HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ace128, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 03:53 PM
Joined Apr 2006
53 Posts
Help!
How do i become a fighter pilot?

This might not be the right place to poset but i was wondering how do i become a fighter pilot. Im 16 and ive been looking all over the internet and talking to recruiters doesn't really help. What can i do now and in the future to get myself on the right track to becoming a pilot? IF you have links to websites or tips anythign helps.

thanks alot,
Christian

here's my baby[someday]
ace128 is offline Find More Posts by ace128
Last edited by ace128; Aug 14, 2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 04:19 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Here ya go
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:06 PM
Motorsports for Life!
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2008
535 Posts
Try www.dosomethingamazing.com
Fox Rider 4 is offline Find More Posts by Fox Rider 4
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:06 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Rider 4
scared the out of me!
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:10 PM
Motorsports for Life!
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2008
535 Posts
why?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:11 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Rider 4
why?
had my 5.1 speakers' volume high!
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:09 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
If you want to become a fighter pilot, you will not find the tips to become one through most military recruitment campaigns. They want enlisted, not so much officers, but they do want both. If you want to fly the STOVL F-35, you need to become a marine officer. If you want to pilot the standard F-35 without a lift-fan, you want to join either the Navy or the Air Force. Many people will work hard enough to become a fighter pilot, only a few have the physical dimensions and good fortune to become one of these guys.

-You cannot be color blind
-You must receive a college degree (either through ROTC or military institution)
-Your vision must be excellent (20/20 both eyes minimum as you start)
A special note on the vision. Some will join a military academy young with the hopes of becoming a pilot, only to find out their senior year their vision starts to go 20/30-40 and on. You can still be an officer, but not a pilot. Only after you are an established pilot, may you have the slightest chance of continuing flying with the need for reading glasses... and that's all that they will allow. Don't walk on a beach during a windy day without complete eye protection, etc.
-you can have your vision corrected surgically to become a pilot, but you MUST, MUST have it authorized and notarized by the military, through an ROTC program (or a military school) They currently only allow one method to have your eyes surgically worked on, and it isn't the most painless one.
-If you are serious about becoming a fighter pilot, tell your parents, and make sure they evaluate every SINGLE no matter how minuscule thing they do, and cater it towards becoming a fighter pilot
-Every single thing you do from the moment forward you choose to become a fighter pilot must be calculated, nearly every moment of your life to the point you become a pilot. (no poppy seeds as an example.)
-be the star at your school, gotta aim as high as you can go
-get job experience ASAP
-set the absolute highest standards you can
-physical standards have to be exceptionally high. Not quite Michael Phelps high, but nearly that high.
-study philosophy books about being in the military

Trying to become a fighter pilot is an amazing effort, one that is rewarding even if you do not become one. You are going after something more difficult to become than a medical doctor. Becoming a fighter pilot demands expert-level development from a very early age, you are at about the time you will start. Earlier may have been better, but you still have a chance.

-You HAVE to talk to someone who is a pilot that will give you recommendations on how to live your life.
-If you want to join the Air Force, you have to know someone to become a pilot. Navy and Marines aren't the same. You have to be recommended by your senator to the Air Force to become a pilot. If he recommends a nephew of his instead of you... oh well.
-get A's in school, take the hardest classes (you have quite the competition)
-DO NOT LIE EVER AGAIN. There is such a thing as inappropriately telling the truth, but you cannot lie. There is zero tolerance in the military for that. You can make a mistake and possibly go so far as to being irresponsible once (say getting drunk or failing to meet an obligation), but you CANNOT lie.
-don't expect to become a fighter pilot by becoming a warrant officer. You have a lot going against you. Warrant officers fly helicopters and smaller aircraft at the most (usually). You have to go warrant to lieutenant to accomplish that, and by the time you get there, you may be too old.
-excellent psychological health.
-The military can hold almost everything against you if you do something wrong. Keep note of that.
-Pick your friends wisely. If they drink underage or have a blemish of having done drugs, disassociate with them. No exceptions.
-Avoid using any websites that have less than excellent character standards (like joke websites ...and that other kind of website)
-Ease off myspace and facebook. If you have your name attached to someone who is not a good person... good luck. You cannot afford to have someone post something about you that would kill your chances of becoming a fighter pilot.
Read everything you can about becoming one. No single source will be able to provide all the information you need. I know that at the end of a blue angels airshow or thunderbirds airshow, they will show how normal they are by talking with people at the end of the show. They have a normal demeanor, but they truly are superhuman. Sorry, just the way it is. In fact, I would go so far as to say you may not want to continue using this or any other forum, just in case you get part of a political debate or if you get accused of making a false statement/post/etc. This is a serious commitment.
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Last edited by Accu157; Aug 13, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,777 Posts
Start with getting an eye exam by an AME Aviation Medical Examiner (civilian doctor) first . If you have 20/20 now, then do the rest. If you don't have 20/20 now you may as well plan on another career. I could fake 20/20 for the eye exam I got scrubbed by not recovering my night vision fast enough.

But it's been a good diverse career as a USAF engineer.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:42 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
Remember you can have your vision corrected, but like the guy said above, you may as well plan on another career, and take fighter jets as a second place opportunity. You CAN have your vision corrected, but it will take some luck to be suitable for the surgery. You won't know until after you recover whether you are still a viable candidate. You have to have good night vision as well. I have a mild problem with night myopia, even though my normal daytime vision may be ok enough to be a fighter pilot. Something to fix your vision problems is with eye exercises, by using a marzden ball and other practice by focusing with varying lenses. Sometimes it's just an imbalance in muscle strength with your eyes that needs fixing.

Just remember, the military may not throw recommendations as to what you must be prepared for. They want to see some natural, and not entirely trained ability. You will in a way, be a representative of the country when you are up in that air, and you have to be your best. Find a personal flaw, fix it. Be evaluated again, and fix the next thing. All those neuron connections in your brain have to have the right paths for you to make it. If you meet the recommendations and requirements I have posted with an attitude of competition, great. If you met it with dismay... I'd reconsider, but also develop that way of thinking away. It isn't healthy.

Great thing is, after retiring from being a fighter pilot, you can be on a one-way trip to be paid over 100k a year or more to be an airline pilot. They like to take in ex-military pilots. Airline piloting wouldn't be as time consuming as the military, you'd be paid well on top of your military retirement pay, and it just might be a bit less stressful. (depending on your rank, you could make 25 to 40 dollars an hour for 40 hours a week just for having a pulse... and you don't have to do squat. That's pretty lucrative don't you think? BTW, you don't have to be a fighter pilot to get that, just a modest to high ranking officer, or a high ranking enlisted upon retirement. Some admirals or generals, depending on the military affiliation, will be fishing for trout with their grandchildren while they're making $70000 a year for having a pulse. AND, it's inflation adjusted pay. AND you have health coverage thanks to your government. AND you can go back to college while having it paid for, at least mostly completely paid for. It depends on the coverage. AND your wife or husband will be covered in several ways, unless you get a divorce of course. AND you can still shop on a (exceptionally clean) military base for tax-free products.
Last edited by Accu157; Aug 13, 2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:48 PM
Joined Apr 2006
53 Posts
heres alittle bit about me I have a 3.6gpa, don't smoke, don't drink, 20/20 vision [got checked last year] I was 1 of 3 soph on the varsity wrestling team, this year i plan to go to state and my senior year im going to win it. My dad and grandpa were Marines. I know im going to join the military after collage i just can't decide on what to be, i know my ASVAB score will decide my MOS but im looking at Force Recon, Marine jet pilot, or Marine attack helicopter pilot. For me once im in the military there's
only two ways out Retire or die.

thanks for all your help.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:59 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
Sounds good!!! 3.6 gpa is just fine. Higher is always better (everyone knows that), but you seem to pose little concern to me considering it's that high and you are yet to enter your senior year. Good to know you have already been indoctrinated into the military lifestyle, that helps a lot. Were they officers or enlisted? Not that it bears any importance to your chances of getting in. You do not have to reveal everything. I don't recommend it actually.

Just remember, always weigh what you write down on the internet or anywhere else. People tend to believe what they read. It better be a benign truth. You're doing excellent. BTW, get some help from your dad and grandpa for help with physical training. If you're already wrestling, you seem to be on a perfectly fine track already. Gotta do something sports oriented.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:06 PM
Joined Apr 2006
53 Posts
They were both enlisted, that's why im forced to go in as an officer.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:28 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
lololol! I understand!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:17 AM
Motorsports for Life!
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2008
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planelover93
had my 5.1 speakers' volume high!
NICE!!!!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:46 AM
Canucklehead
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
827 Posts
There was a show on Discovery Channel about this. They had a group of Canadian pilots competing for a CF-18 squadron position. It's pretty gruelling. One poor guy was near in tears because he kept failing the G test. It's not like the good old days when you got 10hrs training then were strapped into a Spitfire to kill some Nazis. I think the show was called Jetstream. It might be available on DVD.
orenda635 is offline Find More Posts by orenda635