HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:48 AM
Nose Art Fan
Joined Jul 2008
139 Posts
Discussion
Which is better after a Super Cub -- PZ Corsair or E-flite T-34?

I have been practicing with my Super Cub and want to buy a second plane with full four channel control. The PZ Corsair coming out VERY soon looks good, has a nice radio, is less expensive, and would be a bit better in some of the smaller fields near where I live. The E-flite T-34, however, has an even better radio and the progressive trainer system really appeals to me given how much I still have left to learn.

What do people think about the relative merits of these two models as a second plane for a newbie?

DAB
dabesq is offline Find More Posts by dabesq
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:51 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,266 Posts
Take a look here http://www.hobby-lobby.com/waco.htm
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:20 AM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
United States, CA, Placentia
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
There is no way you'll be ready for a fast plane like the PZ Corsair or any biplane. Now that you've mastered the 3-channel SC, pick a plane that has a high wing, wide wingspan, but with ailerons, called an "aileron trainer". I modified my SC by flattening the wing and adding ailerons, and I'll be flying this sucker to death before even thinking about trying a low wing aircraft. The advices here are plentiful on your next plane, so don't give in to impatience and don't waste money.
hongrn is offline Find More Posts by hongrn
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:37 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I've been reading a lot on this forum about the Parkzone T-28. My LHS has them for $199 right now (about $50 off reg) and I am seriously considering putting one on layaway. Might want to check up on it.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:40 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
The PKZ Trojan T-28 would be a better choice than either one of the 2 you listed but I agree with hongrn that a high wing 4 channel would be the best. The PKZ Apprentice would be my suggestion and it too come with a great radio system.If you can't afford it adding aileron to your SC is an excellent way to learn 4 channel too.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2725
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:50 AM
Western Pennsylvania
Joined Oct 2004
799 Posts
dabesq, Do you have a standard radio (2.4ghz or 72mhz)? If so, there are other good aileron trainers if you don't mind some building. My advice is do alittle research on the forums for aileron trainers.

Modding out you SC is also good advice and it isn't hard but you'll need to scrap the stock electronics. The Parkzone T-28 has gotten some good reviews for a next step after the SC. The GWS E-Starter comes recommended often, the Multiplex Mini Mag can be adapted with ailerons as can others. There's always some of the balsa planes as well.

Good luck with your choice.
Norm66 is offline Find More Posts by Norm66
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
The crash sale item from Hobby Lobby today is the Busy Bee. Watching the video, it looks like it slows to a crawl for landing. I did a quick look through for it but didn't see any dedicated threads. How is this plane for a next step?

Personally, I think I'm going to stick with the T-28, but I still have a couple months to change my mind!
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:18 PM
Nose Art Fan
Joined Jul 2008
139 Posts
I don't have a standard radio, which is a key reason why the Corsair and T-34 appeal to me. Both come with a good 2.4 GHz 5 or 6 channel radio. As for the PZ T-28, I was thinking about it before the Corsair was announced. The HZ rep stated on the PZ Corsair thread that it is basically a blue T-28 with a much better radio. Almost all of the specs are the same -- size, weight, motor, etc. DAB
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:21 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
PZ T-28... the others are either to much of a jump in speed or wing loading or both
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:39 PM
Western Pennsylvania
Joined Oct 2004
799 Posts
Warbirds typically fly much faster than trainers. I understand your dilema about the radio. The T-34 will require a much larger fly area than a typical parkflyer type plane. The Corsair will be fast, so if you go that road be prepared for that.

Again, good luck.
Norm66 is offline Find More Posts by Norm66
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:47 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
It partly depends on how much in-person help you have...

The assorted "PTS" aircraft are mostly useful as trainers only if you have in-person assistance and preferrably use a buddy box.
I have not seen the PTS T-34 or the new Corsair, so I can't comment on those particular models, except as prediction based on the PTS models I have seen. (Mustang and F-22)

The exception is the NexStar (which isn't really "PTS" because its a different brand) The Nexstar is a decent trainer (if you have help) even with all of the training aids removed. The "base ARF" is the typical .40 trainer configuration.

Also... each person's progress will vary. Some people can jump directloy from a 3Ch model such as a Super cub directly to a 3D aerobatic model such as the Typhoon and get away with it. Most need a much milder and more stable second model for the transition from 3 to 4 ch flight.

I woulod definitely advise against the Waco bipe until you have experience with 3 or 4 assorted 4 ch models. There is only one scale biplane that I would even consider as a possible 1st 4 ch model... the Tiger Moth. (several ARFs available)
Biplanes are inherantly more "picky" about setup. A problem that could be easilly trimmed out with a monoplane can make a biplane nearly uncontrollable.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:56 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
The Eflite Mini Ultra Stick is a good aerobatic aileron trainer, but can be very docile on low rates. Turn the rates up and it becomes a basic 3D trainer.

This means that you pretty much have to get everything though. They do have a PNP, which means you need a 3 cell 2100 mah lipo, lipo charger, radio and receiver. It's the better option, as you have to buy a radio. We all suggest either a DX7 or a DX6i as your radio choice.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:02 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Jumping to the Mini Ultra Stick from the Super Cub.... is about equal to jumping to the Typhoon.

Some can make the jump.

Most can't.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Not really. I've watched several younger and older beginners go to a MUS after their trainer.

Kept on low rates, and with the help of an instructor, they can do it.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:12 PM
Nose Art Fan
Joined Jul 2008
139 Posts
I have decided against the T-34. For the same price I could buy the Corsair and a Vapor; it would require a larger field; balsa is harder to repair than foam; and by the time I really need a 6 channel radio, there will probably be something better I will want. I'm still weighing the Corsair again some of the other options suggested -- with the delay in shipping, it looks like I will have at least a couple more weeks to think about it. DAB