HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2003, 02:27 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2003
357 Posts
Q: Best covering for foamy scale warbird?

Hi

I have just bought a S&B (from Australia) EPP warbird which runs on Speed 400. The wing has foam core with balsa sheeting, whereas the fuse is EPP. The tail feather is conflute / coroplast. The instructions suggest using PP tape to cover but i think for such as scale kit using PP tape does not really do it justice.

Question> what is the best covering one can use for a plane like this? Ideally the covering should be paintable so I can use camoflauge colors; on the other hand it would also provide the airframe with a degree of crash resistance without adding too much weight. Any suggestions?

On the internet I have managed to find 2 options. One is to use textile covering like solartex and then paint on it; where the other one is to use clear packing tape followed by a layer of signing vinyl. Has any one used these in a similar set up? Your opinion on their pros and cons would be greatly appreciated

To decide the relative merit of covering I would probably use the following criteria, in descending order of importance:

1. The plane should fly (i.e. not so heavy that it won't fly)!!!
2. It should be durable and crash resistant
3. It allows scale paint finish
4. Flight performance e.g. aerobatics

Thanks heaps for your suggestions
dimple is offline Find More Posts by dimple
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2003, 04:20 AM
Trollhattan, Sweden.
Joined Oct 2002
186 Posts
Hi and welcome to ezone !

I've got the S&B Tempest and mine is covered with packing tape and then spraypainted with ordinary carpaint. It's not a superscale finish on it but it looks as it should and hopefully it'll fly to. Waiting for better weather so I can take it for it's maiden flight.

Do a search on S&B in the foamie section and you'll find
lots of pictures in previous threads...

Good luck !

Edit:

Did the search for you, here's a link...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...der=descending
Mats is offline Find More Posts by Mats
Last edited by Mats; Feb 05, 2003 at 04:23 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2003, 05:03 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2003
357 Posts
Your Tempest looks great! I cannot believe it is covered with PP tape. Did you use any strapping tape under the clear (i presumed) PP tape? What type of paint is that? Acrylic? Polyurethane? Polycarbonate? Do you have problems with chipping of paint? Oh I wish my tempest can be 1/2 as handsome...

Cheers

Henry
dimple is offline Find More Posts by dimple
Old Feb 05, 2003, 05:13 AM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Jan 2002
194 Posts
The best scale results are obtained by glassing the airframe using WBPU or finishing epoxy. If done correctly, it's light, very strong, smooth and very paintable. Do a search on the scale forum and you'll find a lot of threads discussing the method. There's also an excellent article on ezone of Jim Ryan where he explaines the method
Stephane is offline Find More Posts by Stephane
Old Feb 05, 2003, 07:14 AM
Trollhattan, Sweden.
Joined Oct 2002
186 Posts
Thanks !
Cool that you got the Tempest too...

I got it precovered in green packing tape from the S&B boys.
Ithink they spray 3M super77 glue on before applying the tape.

I only got rid of the creases with a hairdryer (mostly on the fuselage) and then spraypainted it with acrylic carpaint.

The paint is alittle sensitive to chipping, especially on very curved
surfaces like the bottom of the fuselage. What I did to prevent chipping was that I before the paint was all dry, i covered it with
a layer of clear packing tape. I did that on the bottom of the fuseage and for about 10 inches at the middle of the wing.

Here's a great link to all kinds of tempest info
http://user.tninet.se/~ytm843e/tempest.htm

Keep us posted and if you have any questions just ask.
Mats is offline Find More Posts by Mats