SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:04 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post
Far out Bruce! Go you good thing, what a challenge!

I would love to see some pics of what Baldy hollow and the ridges look like with snow on them Roger. Might make the landing better? Or worse deepending on where you land. I would ask one of the Euro guys like JOJO. I'm pretty sure he flies the eneloops, even in those snowy conditions, don't take my word for it though....

Eric
From personal experience, it depends how you land. If you hit too shallow it deflects off, you have to drive it in, which is easier
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:47 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,041 Posts
Apologies for the OT comments but it explains the vid a bit(and there is no ds'ing happening)

Yeah it is a great spot. It has lots of tracks, graded from Green to double black diamond. You have to see the double blacks to believe them. We did 20k's and there are lots more that we didn't do. I didn't show the rougher stuff because the camera is just too shaky.

Yes my bike has an electric brushless hub motor in the back wheel and runs on lipos and me pedalling. I have to thank Dingo for this new hobby. He has one of those Stealth electric bikes and wouldn't stop raving to me about them. Then one day I was getting my mail out of the letter box and a guy flew by me doing about 80k's an hour on one, up the hill! It scared the daylights out of me because it was basically silent except for tyre noise. Anyways lots of chats with Bruce I eventually found a used one for sale and snapped it up. Astan has build one now as well. They are good fun and unfit guys like me need them to keep up with mountain goats like Sean and Tim.

My Bike has a Crystalyte HT3525 motor running 5x 5s lipos in series which makes it run at 105v fully charged. Controller at 35 amps this bike has about 3.6kw of power. Not crazy power but plenty for a 'pushie', it tops out about 60-65 kmh. About 25k's off one battery pack, but half that to 12k's if riding through the bush like on the video.

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:54 AM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
Very cool mate. I used to do a fair bit of MB. That vid almost got the bug going again. Almost lol.
excelpoint is online now Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:53 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
Shane and I had an excellent afternoon’s flying at Larrikin Ridge today. I got there earlier and spent about an hour and a half clearing Lantana and stuff to make a launching area on the top of the knoll. I ended up exhausted, with ripped overalls, covered in scratches and dragging a very blunt chainsaw. It’s really steep, full of boulders, and the scrub was thick. But it will be worth it when we get a big day there.

Shane’s work ute wouldn’t make it up the slopes so I drove down to pick him up. Up to that point there had been almost no wind but it arrived just in time for his first Larrikin visit! I’m starting to think there’s no point turning up at Larrikin till 1pm coz on mild days, there’s no wind till then. Shane was really impressed with the site and soon he was carving around the excellent lift with his mini-Voltij aerobat, and me similar with the Scratcho, and both dipping in to different parts of the ridge for some light DS.

Later we moved the car right up the far end, up above the dam. We’ve never parked there before but it’s the best spot, right next to the best frontside launch and lift spot. Shane was amazed how much wind was coming up that part of the bowl “Not bad wind for a day that wasn’t supposed to have much wind!” He was so convinced he put together his D60 and I unpacked the gun, but he then found he didn’t have the transmitter with the D60 program! Bummer. He hasn’t flown it for over a year. He tried to copy another model program but it was too much work and he gave up.

Meanwhile I flew the Willow. Firstly played around on the frontside and was again impressed with the Willow’s handling. I tried some F3F laps and it was nice. I reckon we need to ask the owners if they’d be happy for us to hold a comp there. It’s a good spot – great lift and complete visibility. Then dipping into the backside … again, I have to say I do think the Willow is the nicest plane I’ve DSed. I couldn’t put into words what it is, but it’s lovely.

Shane soon started invading the airspace with his little “Artemis” plank. The wind had got lighter and to be honest, I expected it to run out of puff but it kept carving sweet laps superbly. It’s been said before, but Shane’s building skills are something else. Everthing he turns out looks fantastic and flies like a gem. The Artemis is a heck of a sexy looking, nice flying plank. And I’m not even a planky guy.

Late in the arvo we just flew and flew as the wind got lighter, but the lift on the front always remained solid. As the shadows got long, Shane got his repaired Caracho out and gave it its first DS session. Classic light air DS, at times just getting around. He flew it for ages as I sat watching and chatting. I stuck my nose in and passed on some of the tips from the big dogs I picked up in the USA … “after the top turn, let off the elevator and let it run”. It worked. The Caracho went from lazy laps to making nice whooshes and he even managed to hang some tight circles nailing the shear line high over the backside. I wished I’d had a camera to capture the Caracho’s purples and pinks set against the purple clouds.

We packed in the twilight, not feeling any rush - it was a privilege to be up there in such a beautiful high spot, the river a black snake in the shadows below an incredible fluoro pink sunset to the west. As each of our women phoned in turn to get us in trouble for being late, it was dark enough to feel pretty freaky rocking and rolling down the track in the Outback, staring at the headlight beam in the long grass surrounded by inky black. I hoped we didn’t go off the track! Once we got back to Shane’s ute we repacked and chatted some more before finally heading down the last bit of trackless hill in the blackness.

The full moon rose as we drove out of Kilcoy … nice. A great arvo.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:54 AM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
579 Posts
Thanks for the info Ezza. First I'd heard of those Stealth bikes, but geez they look like heaps of fun. Almost wish I'd never seen them now, what has been seen, cannot be unseen, or stopped thinking about either. Just one more toy honey, really

And back to DS: Sorry to hear there hasn’t been any wind on the East coast, thought I’d rub it in by filling you guys in on DS Thursday here in SA. Regular as clockwork (knock on wood) it was on again. Not the best day we’ve had by a long shot, but still pretty flyable. It was actually too North to DS when we got to the top of the ridge, but if you walk about 400m to the North, past the spot where we’ve learnt to land the good planes, there is a section of ridge that faces more N, so you can still fly. There is a little gully there that works (just) for DS, but it is pretty scrappy, so while we waited for the wind to swing we mostly frontsided with the Atoms; Simon’s new yellow one with a moulded fuz, and my white one that’s the last of the lost foamers. These both have 34” wings, but Timbuck has convinced us to build some 30” wings & stick them on instead. Simon has already built his wing, but the epoxy hadn’t hardened enough to cut the elevons out & get it ready to fly. Maybe next week we’ll get to see how it goes. Anyway, we amused ourselves doing formation halfpipes until the wind swung enough to get back to the main ridge. Pretty cool to see 2 identical homebuilts in the air together, especially doing synchronised pumps.

By the time the wind swung enough for the DS to start working, the strength had dropped quite a bit, so we didn’t insult the D60 by getting it out of the bag. Instead we flew Atoms again in a furball, then as we got braver started doing furball figure 8’s, with the odd head to head pass in the centre of the 8. Speeds weren’t anything to write home about, but it kept us giggling for ages. Really great fun. Simon made it out to fly last week at TOS; but had no radar; sounded like his Atom was really cranking then. We would have been lucky to crack 80mph this day, but the formation flying was excellent fun anyway. We had 3 Atoms there, and they all got a run. Simon decided that the correct collective noun for a group of Atoms is a nucleus. See pic for a nucleus of Atoms. Hopefully we'll have more soon.

The wind kept dropping while we were flying, and Simon put his Typhoon together to have a go with that. It didn’t go that great; was getting knocked around a lot, even though the wind was light. Perhaps the wind had swung too far around to the W. I was curious to see if my Typhoon would handle any better, because usually they are a delight to fly there, so I put mine together too. I still can’t believe what happened next actually happened, and as I’m typing this and remembering, it still seems unfeasible. Anyway, so I got to the edge, wiggled the sticks to see that something was happening with the control surfaces, figured it all looked ok, switched on the camber to help climb out in the light winds and chucked it off. It flew out straight, but climbed really suddenly, and blew back over my head, hovering over the lip. That was a bit weird, it shouldn’t have done that I thought, so I clicked out of camber and it did move out over the ocean and into the lift. Then it seemed that the elevator response was a bit mushy, so I started feeding in more & more elevator until it became quite apparent that there was no elevator control at all. Fungool, sez me. This isn’t good. I’d had a couple of really late nights this week getting planes ready, and the first thought was that through being tired I’d put the AMT elevator halves on without locating the pin through the bellcrank. There was all sorts of cursing on top of the ridge as the reality of flying, much less landing a plane with no elevator set in. I was pretty much resigned to the fact that the Typhoon would end up looking like my Minivec did the other week. But by sheer chance, the elevator, even though it wasn’t working at all, was trimmed for a slight climb. After a lot of climbing and stalling, then gathering speed & climbing again (lucky the Typhoon stalls straight ahead), I worked out that if the plane kept turning, the nose would stay down levelish. Using this technique and ‘S’ turning from side to side, it was possible to fly the plane along the ridge far enough to get to the landing area, then into some sort of approach. It was starting to look like a possible landing, except that stupid me didn’t think and added crow. Of course with no elevator compensation, crow just made the nose tip right up (this was at about 20 feet up), stall and dive into the ground; no height for it to self recover. Super super luckily, the ground was really soft from all the rain we’ve had, the grass was pretty long, and somehow the nose dug into the soft dirt right between 2 rocks and the wings missed 2 more. When I got to it, it was completely unscathed! Except for a dead elevator servo. Last time I flew the Typhoon, it was fine, then somehow it has become an ex-servo. It had demised, passed on, ceased to be, expired, gone to meet it's maker. Bit of a mystery. Servo is a Hyperion DS11. Couldn’t believe I was taking the Typhoon home in one piece with just an elevator servo to change. It’s better to be lucky than good.
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:57 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,523 Posts
Man that was lucky Dave! Great report.

PS Ezza, watched the MTB vid. That looks like a great place ... nice trails and nice country. You guys had a great day.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Aug 03, 2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:09 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,415 Posts
Sound like a perfect day at LR..Andrew.. Classic qld champain DS.
And Dave , wow, very lucky with the phoon mate....and looking forward to the A ATOM 30 report with NO waggle.... Maybe !!.

Great video ezza.
Had a very fun day, the hole day Sean didn't even puff. Im 100% sure now he is a ROBOT.. We have been talking about it for years because of his flying thumbs....
And now 21.5km riding and not a drop of sweat....somethings not right.
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:27 AM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,041 Posts
AVB and Shane, you guys scored. Sounds beautiful, great effort Andrew with more clearing. I can't wait to see how it goes with more wind, which must be on its way soon? It 'feels' like we should be getting some wind soon. It does seem to be blowing light westerlies most days now, instead of southerly, so here's hoping.

Dave, that was an excellent report and I'm amazed you landed the Typhoon without elevator. Nice job!
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:30 AM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
From personal experience, it depends how you land. If you hit too shallow it deflects off, you have to drive it in, which is easier
Alex, How have you gone with your battery packs in extreme cold? Do you use anything to keep them warm?

Eric
Last edited by Ezza; Aug 03, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:36 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Miners Rest
Joined Feb 2009
1,579 Posts
It's best to be lucky AND good.
That was amazingly lucky Dave, but you had to keep your wits about you to give your luck a chance. Well done keeping your head in the circumstances.

I have to correct you however. The collective noun for a group of Atoms isn't a nucleus (thats the fuse ). It's a Molecule (or maybe a Crystal?).

But if you put enough ballast in the fuse, and get them REALLY heavy, you can call them a Bomb.
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:39 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,225 Posts
Great video Eric. Loved it all. So many good moments. Had to laugh at Jumbuck pulling his bile out of the bushes and almost doing a wheelie straight into a tree. 3:30 ouch!

Nice report again Andrew. Sounds like a pretty hardcore spot to get to.

Dave that sounds like a very very lucky moment. You did well not to panic and stick it in.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:45 PM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
Great write up Dave and an awesome save on the Typhoon.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:51 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,050 Posts
Yes, that was some nice flying. Good one mate.
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:07 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,831 Posts
Ive been close to pulling the trigger on an electrI bIke for ages now. You've just taken me step closer.
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:35 PM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
Just had a look at those stealth bikes. I really must resist LOL. Love the Hurricane though.