HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:02 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
611 Posts
Anyone going to wybung tomorrow (Saturday) (Southerly @ 24knots).
Stehl can't make it.

Waz, Andrew and crew ?

cheers
Rick
cleansurf2 is offline Find More Posts by cleansurf2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:13 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,587 Posts
Rhys and I went up and flew at Bald Knob this arvo. The wind was nowhere near as much as forecast. Strange how a couple of hours south, Ezza’s had a thumping sou’westerly all night and into today, but it was pretty light here. But it was still a totally great afternoon. The incredible view at Bald Knob is something I don’t take for granted. And with green grass, blue skies and a breeze how could things be better. Actually I was still suffering from a migraine when we went up but it’s gone now! So there you go … sloping is a medical cure! We should do more of it!

We parked on the road up the hump, and Rhys did some looping, rolling, flipping and carwheelysideslipsnaprolly things with the Yoda while filming for his entry for the aerobatics video comp. I DSed the Scratcho and later the Stratos but it was really not great. There was heaps of wind all around the backside, leaking round the end of the ridge.

The Yoda is pretty amazing, just how acrobatic it is. It looks terrible, roughly made and now many times broken, but it continues to fly like a crazy insect. After about 10 minutes there was a crunch as it went into the hill. Oh no. But 10 minutes later he had it back in the air, after having fixed the boom attachment, a break in the wing, a break in the elevator mount and more (Rhys can list all the breaks!).

When the lift got dodgy we drove up the top and flew off the knob. Before long we were flying the Scratcho and the Minivec through a gap in the trees on the frontside … then of course it had to be inverted. At one point I had to retrieve the Scratcho from the other end and thought what the heck, have another go at DSing. So I went further along and tried DSing from that end, which I normally don't do ... anyway it shot out nicely on the first lap so I went back in. But those backside rotors took their toll ... it just stopped responding to elevator on the way out and went into the hill hard. Bummer. I have a bit of fixing to do now. It reminded me how much we used to try to DS in crappy spots like the Hump, and how nice it was to discover better sites like Cactus and Bandicoot and get huge amounts of good quality flying and DSing, without much damage. It's been ages since I've actually crashed whilst DSing. I think the last one was over a year ago when I trashed the Opus. Since then any damage I've done has been on landings, and mostly I’ve been lucky enough to bring my gear home in one piece these days.

It remained light, but we flew till the hands were shaking too much from the cold. Nice arvo.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:35 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansurf2 View Post
Anyone going to wybung tomorrow (Saturday) (Southerly @ 24knots).
Stehl can't make it.

Waz, Andrew and crew ?

cheers
Rick
Hey Rick,

Hoping to go to Wybung about 2pm.

Ill give you a call when I leave.

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
Well I finished a lightweight Bee II hoping it would bring on the wind but still didnt work.

One layer of goop and covered in thin Lam film (thanks Gizzo). 5 Cell AAA pack, Hitec HS322 Karbonite gear servos and 4Ch FrSky RX. 590g AUW.
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,401 Posts
That thing should be great fun Matt!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:08 PM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
Quick test glide in the backyard, had to dump it a couple times as it was heading over the fence (40m) lol
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelpoint View Post
Well I finished a lightweight Bee II hoping it would bring on the wind but still didnt work.

One layer of goop and covered in thin Lam film (thanks Gizzo). 5 Cell AAA pack, Hitec HS322 Karbonite gear servos and 4Ch FrSky RX. 590g AUW.
Looks good Matt it seems very light, is it stiff only using goop and laminate
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:02 AM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
Seems to be ok. It is still built to standard up to the stage of gooping and using the laminate. So still has the ribbon spars to and bottom as well as a diagnal brace of fiber tape.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:00 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,587 Posts
Highs and lows … highs and lows.

There was a nice SSE on the coast today so again we felt the frustration of not having a decent DS site for this common wind direction. I decided to head up to fly with the club guys at Bald Knob anyway. Because DS is a compulsive disorder I packed some DS planes to try DSing the Hump … despite at the same time hating it for being a crappy site.

The Hump has always been always a dodgy spot. It’s a narrow ridge that snakes very steeply down from the wide flat top of Bald Knob, and it flattens out for a short bit about half way down, providing a bit of a saddle to stand and fly in. The site record was taken by Sean with the Erwin at 175mph over 2 years ago, but since they re-sculpted the ridge by bulldozing a road up it, the lip has been butchered and it is even more scrappy. The line that used to get the biggest speeds over the end of the ridge just never works well now due to a road cutting, so I usually like flying the other way, dropping in to the backside parallel to the hill that rises up to the towers, and cutting circles in the confined bowl. Quite simply, it’s crap DS compared to the wonderful conditions we’ve experienced at Bandicoot, Cactus and Larrikin. But when you’re addicted, you gotta get it whatever way it comes.

Driving steeply up past the Hump I stopped to check out the wind, and it looked good. Reaching the plateau at the top, it was great to find Shane (Playinthepark) already there. He was keen to DS his home made Schizzle … a beautiful vac bagged moldie with the same wing plan as the Needle. I got the gun and a Scratcho and we stumped our way down, but it was crap. Shane got it to 108 nevertheless. I tried the Scratcho but it was no fun.

People turned up gradually and we flew other stuff. Shane filmed himself doing an acro routine with an aerobat. There were by now about 6 guys flying stuff near the tip, so I decided to go back to the Hump for some clear sky and a good lift band. For about 10 minutes I tried to practice rolling circles and stuff, but I’m pretty average at it and finally I couldn’t resist dipping over the back. Holy Smokes! It was working!! The Vector was soooo good too! I was really impressed. It might have been doing 120 max, but it was neat and really locked in. I was about to land and run up to get Shane, and noticed that he was actually stumbling down the road, still flying the aerobat. He’d heard the noise and wanted some of the action! I landed the Vector and grabbed the gun, while he tried dropping in from the high part of the road … it was dodgy, and didn’t work well. The little plane wasn’t accelerating much for the beating it was taking in that backwash air but he persevered … until he dove back in with too little speed and it didn’t make it over and crashed onto the road! Repairs needed. He was sad, so I rubbed it in by saying “well, you were taking big risks!”. Oh well, at least it was captured on his helmet camera!

We went back up to get DS planes. I actually put the Shockwave together, but the wind didn’t pick up and I never flew it. Shane tried again with the Schizzle but was really worried about the line; about hitting the hill or the trees. Graham was gunning, so I went down the backside and yelled out his position – basically he had heaps of room to open up the circles.

I had a go with the Stratos and although it was yawing about it quickly got to about 130. I was pretty happy. But I stopped out the front to tweak the aileron diff, and next laps felt much better. The wind picked up a bit, and it started to really rip. I made the circles flatter and bigger and it got 157, but it felt like 300. There’s so much closeup scenery all round the line, and you’re exiting the lip about 2 metres in front and a metre over you, so it’s totally exhilarating stuff. Loud and fast … you could really feel the amazing power of DS right in your face. It was an unexpected DS hit and I was buzzing.

Sean climbed down to us, carrying the trusty Erwin, as Shane dropped in for another go, but it didn’t get over 121. Maybe I was lucky grabbing the only good air! But I have to say the Stratos DS is one dead set amazing big DS ship.

I went down the back again to guide Sean’s line he launched off the front. I called to Graham that he was about to see the smoothest DSing he’ll ever see. But suddenly Shane cried “I’ve lost my plane!!” My heart sank … I wasn’t sure what had happened but it had to be bad. Graham and Shane disappeared from view and I could see Sean landing the Erwin as I clambered back up the bowl.

Shane had lost sight of the Schizzle as he hovered up, readying for landing. After climbing back up, it was discovered that the flyers up there had seen the Schizzle wander about with flaps on and descend and crash way below. Ken was flying his Needle off the top, and since it’s exactly the same plan, Shane probably looked at the wrong plane above and never re-acquired sight of the Schizzle. A truly terrible feeling.

From above, we watched the pilot, assisted by an expert recovery team, navigate to the crash site and recover the wreckage, which was spread over a significant area. Back up the top, there was the inevitable post-mortem. The vac bagged wing had taken a huge hit and needs some patching, but it was amazing how easily repairable it is! Everything else is trashed. Shane’s pain was obvious and he put on a brave face, smiling as he muttered “Planes …I’m over it!”. He felt like giving up. We all know that feeling, and sometimes guys do give up. But I know Shane won’t give up. He’s one of the best. One of the guys that build incredible creations and fly them brilliantly. The lesson from today is: RC gliders crash. It happens to the best of us.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:23 AM
less sleep more planes
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
394 Posts
The highs and lows of today ,well the Shizzle is repairable my little aerobat got a few dings nothing to bad and i got some interesting vid for my aerobatic vid.
I'v had a few planes now that have gone behind things and crashed ,shouldn't of gone anywhere near all the other big molded planes and taken my eye off it.
Thanks for the detailed post of the day AVB.
Hear is the vector ds'ing.
This spot is small 100 + feels fast like 200+
Vector ds.wmv (1 min 10 sec)
PlayinInTheParK is online now Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:52 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,401 Posts
Commiserations on your bad day Shane, especially the shizzle. I hope its not too hard a repair job. I dont know whats worse, crashing expensive bought mouldies or crashing your own models. One offs like yours must have to be the hardest pill to swallow- Sorry mate!

Has anyone tried out the new ni-zn (nickel- zink) battery packs from hobby king yet? I ordered a couple the other day and am keen to see how they go, as a 3 cell pack is 4.8v and 4 cell is 6.4v. 3 cell will fit my scorcher much easier.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:21 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,209 Posts
Bad luck with the Shizzle Shane. But as AvB put it, it happens to the best of us. But make a mold of your next creation. Too much beautiful work not to be able to replicate it.

Josh, havent seen those before. Would be interesting to get some specs on them, such as discharge rates etc. Could be a good thing if the specs are right.

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,226 Posts
Missed the delivery of my Reverb today. Need to ring and confirm a time for tommorrow.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:51 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,401 Posts
I finally got some ds in yesterday! In a strange place- a levvy bank near a local lake Ive been looking at for ages. I had some inspiration from the germans and launched via bungey as there is no lift on the front. It wasnt the most exhilerating ds but it was working and seemed faster as on a good lap you could see the plane's shadow on the ground! and one not committed lap and you would lose all the speed and have to start again.
Its only ten minutes form me so at least its close and I'll be keen to see if its better with 20knots or so.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:15 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,489 Posts
Nice josh! You need a helmut cam so you could have got it on film
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member