HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,531 Posts
I punched out into the sun that day at Weldon before I got the 306 with the Compact DSX. I held the TX up and thought the plane was gonna come out the other side of it but I saw nothing. I think that if it hadn't been for Mike, Bruce and Alex responding when I yelled, I may have lost it. It was way over the back and high, just a few seconds later. The guys over there say the moment you lose sight of it, hold full elevator ... that way it's going to stay in roughly one area. But even so, on hills with big wind and big frontside lift, the plane gets blown well over the back very quickly. The 3 times I remember planes suddenly disappearing out of sight at Cactus they got blown out the back real fast. They were just flying frontside too ... at Cactus in midwinter it seems to be a big danger ... enormous lift taking them very high, and very glary sun to the west.

Whatever you do don't be too hard on yourself about it Josh. The moment you launch you take the risk that the plane might not come down perfectly ... there are hundreds of risk factors that lurk around waiting to sabotage the flight and the landing, and they don't discriminate between crappy old beaters and brand new moldies ... for experts and novices alike. I think we lose sight of that sometimes. Flying these planes is a bit like trying to balance a champagne glass on a knifeedge. Everything has to be perfect. It's a buzz if you make it work, and carnage if not. We get better at it (very slowly for some of us) but the risk is always there, and if it wasn't ... if we always got it right and nothing crashed; it wouldn't give us the excitement it does. We need the risk to get the buzz. Dumb hey, but true. It's amazing the number of extreme slope/ DS guys that have done other sports like motor racing, rockclimbing, hanggliding and so on. Most of us are adrenaline junkies, and on the up side, we're getting our kicks from risking our planes ... not our lives, to get the buzz. The guys that won't take risks are making bigger model train sets and playing golf ... not hiking to crazy dodgy slopes with rain and off-angle wind to try to get better at DS.

I've noticed that some of our DS heros in the US have developed an unofficial policy of not reporting about planes they destroy. I'm not sure why that is, but those guys are burying heaps more planes than we hear about and are uptight about keeping the casualties quiet. Personally I'm not comfortable with that, and I like our Aussie honesty and easy going attitude about our smashes. We all do it ... it's just part of the deal unfortunately ... and by letting the other guys what happened they can perhaps learn something, and make them feel better about their own "bad days".
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
Hobart
Joined Jun 2007
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
I've been talking with ezza all week about tasi would be go crazy SAT....
And today best gust was
59 to 76 knots....with a little drizzle and snowy sleet...that's 141kph.
Now where did I put that 5kg warhead..
I was looking out over the derwent Sat arvo and the white caps were very impressive... frikkin cold though. Sadly no flying. Though it would have been a little too windy for learning DS, that what I tell myself.
dugout is offline Find More Posts by dugout
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:43 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,194 Posts
Well said AvB!

I think you captured the essence behind our motivation perfectly.
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,194 Posts
Josh,

Bummer about your Erwin, but I suspect the Scorcher will more than make up for its loss once you finish the fuse for it.
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
888 Posts
New DS PB 213 (1 min 28 sec)

Some Vid from yesterday.
damoz is online now Find More Posts by damoz
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:26 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,343 Posts
Thanks for the commiserations guys and sorry About your baby Asto! The wing is a pretty easy fix but the fuse is pretty much munched. I was thinking like Ezza and putting it on a scorcher fuse too. With a lighter fuse to get the weight down a bit it will make a great allrounder.
PS nice video Damo, looks even faster on film! Guys, look at the red thing I am holding at the end of the vid- Its one of Damiens wing bags taped around the radar to stop iterference from the towers, Seems to work pretty well!
Cheers fellas.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Last edited by josh18; Apr 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Josh the way you build, no planes today and a fleet tomorrow waiting for the next big day. Sorry about the Erwin, but let's see the scorcher over 300
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:04 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,322 Posts
Don't worry Josh I never liked the Erwin fuses anyway.
Build a new one and join the wings together like Seans,
and bolt the wing on then ave will do 200+.

I've just finished laying up a new MSW light. Molds are joined
And next weekend I'll lay a fuse up for it. Should be lighter than the
last one. Then I'll lay up a heavy for the if days.
Internets a but slow but I'll try post some pics tonight.
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:04 AM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,842 Posts
Well done, Damien. Nice to easily crack the 200 with the D60. Crystals really has great potential - I reckon it'll be good for 300+, probably this year if we pick the right days... hope I'm there to see it.

Roger (frequently checking Seabreeze and BoM sites)
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:02 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,768 Posts
Looks good, Josh.

How did you go about making the parting board for the fuze? Do you lay the fuze down, trace around it and then jigsaw the 'hole'?

And what does the 12mm plywood backing do?

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:03 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,774 Posts
Are you sure those parting boards are big enough Josh?
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:27 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,445 Posts
I'm with Jim on that one....has your kitchen still got doors..:

I'm glad the rainbow clay helped you..glad to help mate. My fee is 1 rtf scorcher delivered , for saving you so much time...

I recon about now you'd be Finnish the other side of the fuse and one side of the tail........ or are you having a slow day..
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:46 AM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
That's impressive. Nice work.
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:51 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,343 Posts
Ha ha! The parting board was some mdf left over from my old wing press. It was a pain to cut so I couldn't be bothered with one more cut!
BJ, yeah you cut out the hole with a jigsaw and backfill it with clay. The ply wood is to strengthen the flange, it will have bolts and location pins put in later
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18