HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:55 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
I dont know what everyone says is so savage about thorns- it seems to fly pretty vice free.
Must be the way it was built, he he.

I did a few laps with it on its maiden, but only about 100mph or so and then landed it.

Glad you like it mate.
alkoo is online now Find More Posts by alkoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:26 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Hey, I finally got some flying in the last couple of days. I maidened the Erwin and the Thorn at Hollowback yesterday. The Erwin is a jet on the front!
Today I got out to Mt Black in the South easterly and had my first taste of ds in ages! I was pretty rusty and it was pretty rabbit so I was lucky I brought along a faomy to get the crashing out of my system! First real plane to fly was the d60 and it was great as always. The lift was pumping and the back side was really good at times- maybe nearing 150?, but then it would nearly roll in. I find it a pretty scary place to ds as youve got to go really low to get the best out of it.
Next up was the Erwin. I had the elevator set waay too hot and struggled to fly smooth laps and as I built up speed I was alarmed at the wing flex! Asto you must have been pretty worried flying it to 200! I landed to tone down the elevator but found one of the wing mounts had come loose when I went to re-launch so it'll have to wait till next time. I think the Erwin might suit somwhere like Crystals better where you can fly bigger circuits.
I flew the Thorn too but being white could hardly see it. It really needs some stripes!
I was very impressed with my landings, all went pretty well- even the Thorn with no flaps! Maybe its just me, but a good landing in a tricky spot gives me almost as much satisfaction as going fast in ds!
Cheers, Josh
Glad you got to fly the Erwin Josh. It handles 170's no Problem tight circles with a bit of snap flap. Any faster keep them open and smooth. I bent the last joiners close to 200 with a save from a suck down. With the wing saddle I would sugest 3 layers of tape on the front and 2 to 3 on the back.

Asto
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:45 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post
P.S. When we first arrived two sets of two FA/18's did a fly by, right under us! So spewing we didn't have cameras rolling.
That'll learn you! ......not that I have ever done that kind of thing..........

Few weeks back driving through Richmond we heard this roar to the left, couldn't see a thing then it appeared, C5 Galaxy (no nancy C-17!) turning to final, coming right over us! So I reached around the back to grab the cam I remembered I had an 11mm lens on So we took a photo that made one of the biggest planes in the world look like a Jabiru
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:17 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
Glad you got to fly the Erwin Josh. It handles 170's no Problem tight circles with a bit of snap flap. Any faster keep them open and smooth. I bent the last joiners close to 200 with a save from a suck down. With the wing saddle I would sugest 3 layers of tape on the front and 2 to 3 on the back.

Asto
Thanks asto, good to know. Maybe I was going faster than I thought! It picked up speed really quickly and was a lot louder through the shear than the d60. Id say those steel joiners would flex a lot before they bend permanetly, unlike carbon which might just break. The wing is now a 1 piece, bolt on, as the tape on 'tangs' had cracks and I didnt trust them anymore.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:47 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,444 Posts
the Greentronics Regslim regulator that Andrew Barnes sells is recommended by MKS. I just put one in my Wizard BPV, with MKS in the wings, run from a 5-cell NiMh pack. (I'm using Eneloop XX's now).

For the nose servos, the world's your oyster really but it does depend partly on how much height you have to play with and how much torque and durability you want. I'd say the MKS H is the pick. And I love the 94761Z for elevator in the Scratchos ... it really is a cut above many other servos. JR 368's etc have a lowish profile and work well. If it doesn't need a lot of torque, the Hitec HS65's are excellent, can't get better, so silky smooth. I had them in my old Wizard BPV. But not as tough or powerful as the other ones mentioned. Good if you have smooth pushrods but if they bind, the HS65's will struggle whereas bigger servos aren't bothered.

On the cheap side, I am happy with the Bluebird BMS385 Dmax's from HK. Really quick, smooth, strong and good centreing. But may be a bit tall if it's a thin/ low nose.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Mar 07, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:07 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,267 Posts
DON'T use cheap servo's in good planes.

I lost the warhead 60 I just built.......servo died...cheap MKS rip off turnigy.
I just thought because it was a light spread tow one , they would have been ok. I was wrong...lesson learnt.
I was basically hovering at the time , just about to cross the road at beechmont.
And then it started to drop a wing , I corrected and it slowly spiraled to the north past the car park.
Only one flap was working..another donation to the gods..
Should of learnt for damoz....( I think it was him)... ??

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:15 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,207 Posts
Bummer Tim.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:30 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,267 Posts
It was one of my best......I'm getting a little bit better at building...few more months and the new molds will be done..then I will be happy..

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:35 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,109 Posts
That's some nice work there Tim.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:44 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoo View Post
That's some nice work there Tim.
Thanks waz....that being the word..WAZ nice work now some native wonga pigeon will be trying to mate with it in the top of the rainforest attracted by it vibrant color.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:59 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,109 Posts
Lol!
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:00 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,234 Posts
Quote:
... I dont know what everyone says is so savage about thorns- it seems to fly pretty vice free. I reckon all those planes that seem to have reps for savage tip stalls etc, like thorns or destinys have just been flown by whitehats used to gentle ladies!...
Bold statement - LoL.

I got whacked around the ears for mentioning the 'Swift' or whatever it's called (Chinko copy of a Destiny or thereabouts ??).

Everyone else who's ever had one chipped in to say they're crap, fly like a turd, and tip-stall as soon as you try anything slow. Bit like the feedback the Thorn has been getting.

Each to their own, I 'spose

Good to hear you got out for a fly - even some DS

Still trying to find a wing for my 'Swift' - maybe you could knock-up something one day that would do the trick?

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Last edited by BJ64; Mar 07, 2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:04 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,438 Posts
That's a tough break, Tim. It can be a tough decision when choosing servos.
99.9% of us have to stretch our modelling dollar as far as possible so a compromise is inevitable.
One day, HK will realise that releasing unreliable equipment to the punters was the cause of THEIR crash.
An acceptable compromise is a bit of back-lash in the gears or maybe not as much power, but something that just stops working, without warning, is totally unacceptable.

D.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:17 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,076 Posts
Loving the look of the Warhead! Fantastic work Tim!
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:31 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
...One day, HK will realise that releasing unreliable equipment to the punters was the cause of THEIR crash....D.
"Caveat Emptor"

Cheap plane = cheap servos will do.

Expensive plane = ???

The $$$ some of you guys are forking out for your planes and/or the amount of hours you put in to build one, it amazes me that you would entrust your investment to HK servos.

Let's face it - anything out of HK is built down to a price, not up to a standard.

I buy heaps of stuff from HK, but l realise that whatever I use is 'expendable'.

Sorry to hear that magnificent Bird went in due to a 10-buck part failing.

The Chinese 'copy' just about anything - but they don't 'reproduce' (or invent) very well...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64