HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:13 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Well its that time again. I hope we can all make it out this weekend (same time, same place). However right now the Carol's in dry dock due to a broken motor mount. I should have it fixed and charged by this weekend though. I hope to see both of you there this time.
trawlerlover is offline Find More Posts by trawlerlover
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:49 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
No boat club meeting tomorrow, March 14. Sorry for the late notice but I haven't been on RC Groups all week.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
ft.lauderdale scale club

I just joined this group and picked up on your thread, there used to be a group of scale builders that met at Model Expo, I don't think they were rc types though. I live in Delray and would be interested in getting together at your next meeting. I am a RC newbie but a long time builder, I have a Robbe Atlantis schooner that I built but have never sailed, also have built two of the Dumas CC kits and the Miss Adventure that Model Shipways made. I really need some radio advice. I ran into a guy at Warrick Hobbies that told me about a group that was using a lake at 142nd ave and Boy Scout Rd., this is north of Griffin Rd.and west of Flamingo Rd. HAven't been there.
builderboy is offline Find More Posts by builderboy
Old Apr 09, 2009, 02:46 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Sorry I took so long to respond but I haven't been checking RCG much lately. there's going be a meeting this Saturday at Vista View at 11. If you can't be there the next meeting will be Saturday May, 9. Maybe you can help me out on the Chris Craft I'm building too. As for radio adivce I haven't got much, I like the radio I have (Futaba 4yf) but I don't know what wou need. Jay might know though. I hope to see you there on such short notice.
Old May 06, 2009, 07:03 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Hey guys, our next meeting is this Saturday. Same time (11), same place. By the way if anyone came last time I'm sorry I couldn't be there, I had no transportation.
Old May 06, 2009, 09:19 PM
jayman
Joined May 2007
309 Posts
Hey guys & Trawlerlover:

I got good news & bad news today. Good news: I still have a job. ( Part time.) Bad News: I have to take a pay cut. The good out weighs the bad.

Worse is that I am on the schedule for Saturday. Review & testing for crime insurance and bonds. Now I have to make this exciting to the class. That is a challenge!

Remember the Revell Flower Class corvette that I was sailing? Remember how she was over proped and would send up a rooster tail at even half power? Well, I got a Robbe 40mm plastic prop. It is under square with a pitch of about 35mm. I really want to try this out. I think it will do much better.

I would really like to build the Lindberg Chris Craft 50' Constellation. But I got tired of waiting for it. So, I bought their PT-109. To me, it is not a PT-109 but an experiemental platform. Then I bought the Robbe F-14 Navy transmitter from ships n' Things. (see remarks on that.)

The Robbe ESC was a bit pricy. So I bought a couple of Mitronix ESC's from Ships n' Things. (Umi, on this forum, pointed me in the direction of Mitronix.) I think they may have the ability to dso the job.

Now I have to satisfy the issue of the motors. I have a couple of cheap motors from Radio Shack. They won't work. I may order the small motors from MACK Products. The RPM is !0,000 @ 12 volts.

What I want to do is to replicate the low speed maneuering of a semi-displacement or displacement small vessel. (Your Dad would appreciate and undesatand this.) That is. make the boat pivot onit's own length, dock a 38' boat in 40' of space and back your boat in to a slip at Bahia Cabanna. (One wants to back in to Bahia Cabanna because it easir to go out forward. One might need this advantage after being there for a while.)

Well, the Revell Flower Corvette is finished with the new prop and I want to try iy out. The PT-109 experimental platform is a work in progress.

Brandon, I went down to RC Hobbies thge other day. (In fact, I bought the PT-109 from them.) The only guy that seemed to know anything about scale boats, the older guy named Bill, had not been with them for quite a while. The rest did not have a clue about scale boats.

Then I went down to Warwick Hobbies. In my opinion, they know even less! Brandon, I'll tell you about it when I see you.

The upshot nis that I can't make it on Saturday. But, by next time I will have an overlo9ad of items.
Jay Hargest is offline Find More Posts by Jay Hargest
Old May 13, 2009, 07:16 PM
Joined May 2009
2 Posts
Well, guess I'm "The new guy" right now. My name is Jeff and I work on real boats for a living. I'm Fleet Manager for Tow boat U.S. Ft. Lauderdale and a long time model boater. My long time boat project is Bule Jacket's Big Tug (no longer in production and I built it from plans only). Its operational ie. motor, battery ,speed controller steering etc it installed and working but the exterior finish is pending and progressing slowly.
I'd like information on how to join and when and where meeting are held. Directions would be helpful. I have a friend that is a very talented model builder wo will probably want to join as well and I will pass information on to him.

Thanks.
Hurrijeff is offline Find More Posts by Hurrijeff
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:39 AM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Well. it looks like there's not going to be a meeting today. However we are going to have a meeting on June 27. I hope everyone can get to that meeting.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:23 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Jay Hargest and builderboy made it out today. Builderboy has some really nice boats and Jay brought his new PT-109. It ran well. However his re-propped, re-geared Flower Class Corvette didn't run as nicely. I had the Carol running but also brought the (unfinished) Chris Craft. Today we got lucky with the people and the weather. With people we had fishermen there before us who left about the time we came and other fishermen came right after us. Also its been raining all week but today it was sunny. So overall it was a good day but now let me get to what you want to see, the pictures:
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:01 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
So what happened to the sheetboat? Did the "X" get it? Would like to see that boat with the masts and sails set. Nice looking PT and Corvette and the tug is good looking too. Is the tug a kit? Thanks for [posting the pics. Pete from across the Ally.
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:39 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
The sheetboat wasn't running (neither were any of builderboy's other boats), also he didn't have the mast because it was too much of a pain to rig the whole thing. The tug is the Dumas Carol Moran.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 08:07 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
Well shoot!
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
lets start a club, im in Davie
Vincent Giraud is offline Find More Posts by Vincent Giraud
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:02 AM
EUrope
Joined Apr 2008
780 Posts
Go to hobbie store on University drive in Tamarac, or on Peters road, if is still any club there, they know about members.Some years,use to be there few clubs.
DDG 51 is offline Find More Posts by DDG 51
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:03 AM
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2005
100 Posts
If you guys start a club, or have a plan to start running scale boats somewhere, let me know and I might be able to join you. As it is now I run my stuff at the lake in front of Baptist hospital on Kendal drive in Miami (not far off the turnpike). I've never encountered another scale boater in South FL.
--Jeff
Holycow is offline Find More Posts by Holycow