Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 16, 2008, 06:11 PM
jayman
Joined May 2007
309 Posts
trawlerlover,

Yes, I would be very interested. There must be more of us out there in southern Florida. Please let me know your ideas.

Regards, Jay
Jay Hargest is offline Find More Posts by Jay Hargest
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2008, 06:54 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,707 Posts
I really hope you are successful in getting a club up and running. You can get a sense of what the club experience is like on this forum. The big difference is that when you interact in a club you get to know the other members well. You meet their families, revel in their joys, and commiserate in their sorrows, you make friends. On our club gallery page there is a section called "Gone but not forgotten'. I fondly remember every one of those guys, even the ones I wanted to smack in the head occasionally.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Sep 17, 2008, 08:49 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,043 Posts
Trawlerlover,
A few things we did when I lived down there and was a member of the Shipcrafters club, was to get enough people with boats..running or not and call the newspapers things to do section and try to get them to come out and write a story. the story's really brought a lot of folks to the pond( which at the time was C. B. Smith park way out on Hollywood Blvd. I think).
There were around 20 active members. The only one that I think that lives down that way is a British guy, name of Dale Worsnop, I think he's production manager at a small boat outfit in the Pompano area. A few have passed on, and a couple myself included moved the hell out of there.
Good luck and have fun.
Jerome Morris is online now Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Sep 17, 2008, 09:18 AM
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
Wave Blasters

Log on to our web site waveblasters.org We have 40 members, evenly split between scale and FE racing. You will be impressed. We just had our annual picnic along with the Powder Puff race and good food.

G. B. Robbins
Port St Lucie, FL
waveblasters.org

gbrobbins is offline Find More Posts by gbrobbins
Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:02 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Jerome, right now we're at the stage of finding people but that's a great idea, I'll see what I can do a little later on. Gbrobbins, you have some great pictures, and I hope my club will get that bg too. Jay, as I said I have a lake in mind, but I have to contact the city to see if we can use it. Then I'll get back to you.
trawlerlover is offline Find More Posts by trawlerlover
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:32 AM
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
Model Boat Club

Trawler: You will probably be required to provide the city with Hold Harmless insurance to use the city lake. We did. check out IMPBA, NAMBA and SSMA. They all provide insurance. Good luck.

G. B Robbins
Port St Lucie, FL

Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:13 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Ok, thanks for the information gb. I'll be contacting the city today or tommorow, I'll see what they want. By the way, I thought all of those were different model racing classes or something to do with racing
Last edited by trawlerlover; Sep 18, 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:09 PM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Trawlerlover

I live in Collier county. I am a member of the Southwest Florida Ship Modelers Guild. Club is for scale models and is not and RC club. Some have built Boats for RC but no organized boating. Club meets 2nd and 4th Sat. each month. Collier also has a RC Sail club that actually sails in my nieghborhood every Sat.and Sunday. If you want more info on both clubs please advise.
roach101761 is offline Find More Posts by roach101761
Old Sep 19, 2008, 09:16 AM
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
Model Boat Club

SSMA is a national scale boat organization. IMPBA and NAMBA are national model boat racing organizations. LOg on to therir web and they will provide infor on insurance for members, the club and property owners etc etc and listed clubs.

G. B.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 03:05 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Thanks roach, but I'm on the east coast (Coral Springs) so I wouldn't be able to get over to you. I knew that some of them were racing , but thanks for clarifying that for me. In my club I'm planning to have only scale though. So would the racing organizations offer insurance for non-racing clubs? Once again thanks for the help everybody, hopefully with all of your experience behind me I will be able to start this club.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:07 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,707 Posts
Trawlerlover, I was doing some website maintenance and took the opportunity to post a notice on our new page.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:17 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Thanks Prins, you're a great friend, I just wish I lived closer to you! However now that we have so much work done on starting a club I have to start building up my fleet.
Old Oct 01, 2008, 07:34 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Jay, I just PMed you an update. I hope we can still get this club started.
Old Oct 09, 2008, 10:01 AM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Jay you have another PM. Hope you got the last one, because you need information from it. By the way I PMed you to Norgale (I know that doesn't belong in this thread).
Old Oct 09, 2008, 09:40 PM
Born to be free
undefined
Joined Sep 2004
413 Posts
I'm interested but live in Homestead, south of Miami. I still have a Robbe Schutze Mine Sweeper in the box that I picked up in Germany in the 80's. Might just be what I need to motivate me to finally build the darn thing.

Please keep me informed with PM's

Regards,
Tom
tommyt is offline Find More Posts by tommyt