SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:53 AM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Discussion
Scale Model Club(s) in Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Does anyone know about any clubs in Ft Lauderdale Florida? I do know about the one in Tampa but that's too far of a drive for me. If there are no clubs then I'm thinking about starting my own club, and I would like to know if anyone would be interested in joining it.
trawlerlover is offline Find More Posts by trawlerlover
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:30 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
It appears that the Broward Shipcrafters MBC has folded. There was another forum member asking about clubs in the Miami area. Maybe you can contact him and see about forming a club.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:26 AM
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
118 Posts
I think the waveblasters run out of ST Lucie, check them out at www.waveblasters.org and see if they are close enough.

Large Mike
large mike is offline Find More Posts by large mike
Old Aug 12, 2008, 03:30 PM
Sunny South Florida
Joined Sep 2004
215 Posts
http://www.browardrcboatclub.com Their a club at Malkin Park by 84 and the sawgrass.
windwarrior6682 is offline Find More Posts by windwarrior6682
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:30 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
The Broward Shipcrafters was a scale boat club that used to run over at the IGFA Hall of Fame and Museum near Hollywood.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:01 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Trawlerlover,

I found an old (1999) newspaper article on the Broward Shipcrafters. Maybe you can locate one of the people listed in the article and find out what happened to them.

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/1999...-and-ship-out/

I was just reading Holycow's old thread. I would be curious to know if he ever found a good run site.

Another club option you could consider is asking one of the existing Florida scale clubs if they would be interested in establishing a chapter in your area. This way you don't have to start from scratch and you have a established and experienced group to call upon. A established club could help with the local "no R/C boats" faction. They will have a established reputation in their locale and may be able to sway the parks department.

Our club (the WSBA)ranges geographically across most of southern and eastern Wisconsin. We established regional representatives in Manitowoc/Two Rivers, Racine, and Madison to act in the club's interests. The system works very well and almost 20% of our membership is 50 or more miles away. The club does events in Manitowoc and Sheboygan which is home turf for those guys. We also helped out with a sister clubs event in Madison for several years. The president of that club was our regional rep.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Last edited by Prins Willem; Aug 12, 2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:51 AM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas, and Prins that sounds like something that could work very well. The Broward RC Boat Club doesn't work, I've gone over and looked, it's solely for running speed boats.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:14 PM
jayman
Joined May 2007
309 Posts
trawlerlover,

Yes, I would be interested in a club and finding a place to operate. I live in Broward (I95 & Davie Blvd.).

I e-mailed the Broward RC Club last January for a membership form. They never replied. I guess they are only interested in go-fast boats.

I would be interested in what you found out.

Regards, Jay
Jay Hargest is offline Find More Posts by Jay Hargest
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:32 AM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
I haven't actually done any research into the club, I've just been looking to see if there was any interest.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 05:58 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Jay, are you still interested in starting a club? Sorry I haven't gotten back to you earlier but I've been trying to contact Ellis and Eddy (I don't know their last names). Apparently Ellis was trying to start a boat club too, but I've been trying to get in contact with them for months and I haven't heard anything. Anyway, Jay I've been advertising a club in my hobby shop for a month and you're the only one whose expressed an interest. So, so far you would be the only other member.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:23 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Sounds like an exclusive club so far. should make it more appealing.

"I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member." Groucho Marx
Old Sep 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem
Sounds like an exclusive club so far. should make it more appealing.

"I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member." Groucho Marx
No I actually want to be part of a club (my family is getting sick of me talking about model boats). Also I can't run the Chris Craft in the pool like I can with the Carol Moran so I need a lake.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:49 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Trawlerlover, Hoghappy and Wingrider05 can probably give you really good advice on starting a club as they have recently started clubs of their own. The first thing is to find a site where you can be visible while running. Be ready to answer questions (mostly the same ones many times). It is good that the LHS is willing to help get the word out. I would think in Florida model boating would be a easy sell.

Take a look at our club website. Our club flyer is downloadable from our home page. Feel free to plagiarize our flyer to develope one for your club. Photo copies are relatively cheap and if you can get the LHS to put them on the counter patrons who take one may remember the club when they get home.

http://wiscaleboat.org/

Bill
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:53 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
Thanks for all the help Prins, I really appreciate it. However starting a club in Florida is harder then you would think. It seems everybody (me included) is into full scale boats not models, at least down here in S.E. Florida. I have a site in mind where we will be visible off a main road, and I think I can use it but I have to check with the city. My dad says its already used for model sailing but I've never seen anyone else there. I already handed a flyer (designed by a friend) into the hobby shop and I think they put it up, it's got my phone number on removable tabs but so far no one has called. I'll definitely take a look at your website and see what ideas I can use. I hope I can start a club, I just need some more members. Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post, Ellis from the club is (or was) a member on RC Universe. He's half the reason I registered in the first place. I think his username was either Ellis or Captain Ellis.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:59 PM
boating addict
Coral Springs, FL
Joined May 2008
224 Posts
I just took a look at your website and I recognized it, it's the fish tug website! Those are so cool, I want to build one someday. I read the entire thread when I first saw it . I like unsual, and usually unseen boats. And you have some great pictures of your meetings and lake.