HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:09 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Discussion
cap232 40 profile OR lookin for 40 size 3D for beginner - MOJO!!!

I've been flying about 6 mos. I have a high wing trainer and a h9 p51 pts. I think I might like to learn to do a little 3D - something the kids might like to see.

I could use one of the following for power: an os .46 fx or a magnum xls .52.

Is it feasible for one to teach themself to fly 3d (I did teach myself to fly without crashing by playing with the FMS sim). I would probably get a profile like a chinn yak or similar - suggestions? Or, is a profile not the best way to start?

Are standard servos acceptable on 40 sized profiles or do I need digital servos like ds821s?

thanks, Rodney

Edit: I'm starting with a MOJO 40 ARF on page 3 of this thread
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Last edited by rodneygt; Jan 30, 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: updating
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:47 AM
USA, VA, Central
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
Rodney,

Hands down, the best profile trainer out there is a MoJo.

The 40-size version is about $80 shipped and builds very quickly, even if it's your first kit. Some folks go from the box-of-wood stage to ready-to-fly in as little as a week or two. Even if you take your time and drag it out, you can have it in the air in just a few weeks. There is tons of info here if you're new to building or are simply not sure you want to tackle a build right now.

Either of your two listed engines will do fine. Also, standard servos are more than adequate. The Chinn Yak is very loose and many would says it's not a good candidate for learning 3D, but if you must go the ARF route, I think you can probaby get away with it as long as your setup is gentle, i.e., forward CG and mild throws.

Hope this helps,

Erik
justerik is offline Find More Posts by justerik
Last edited by justerik; Aug 12, 2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:35 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Erik,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I have the skills to build but it would take me awhile because family, work, farm, etc keep me busy, which is why I like arfs. But, yes, I may just get the mojo - I do like it.

I do have one other question. I found the plane I'm about to link on ebay. Does anyone know anything about it or can you tell anything by looking at it - I'm not experienced enough to notice subtle details that would be good or bad. It's generally pretty cheap and an arf. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140254834913

Rodney
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:48 AM
USA, VA, Central
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
I'm afraid I haven't heard anything about that plane. It *looks* ok, but you never know how it's built or what kind of hardware you might end up with. If you can spare the cash, it's probably better to get the Chinn Yak from EF, however for the price, the eBay plane might be a bargain. You could try it out and let us know.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:13 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Chinn Yak is out of stock. I found the OMP v3 edge 540. It seems to be out of stock too. Mojo ARF is out of stock. So, I may get the mojo kit or I may try the ebay plane and let you know.

I'll decide within a few days. I would like to find out if there are some more options.

Rodney
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:50 AM
USA, VA, Central
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
Rodney,

A little bird told me that EF is expecting a shipment of Yaks any day now. It might be worth your time to give them a call. They might have them but just haven't yet updated the website. At the very least, they might be able to give you an idea of when they will arrive.

Erik
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:46 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
I also found this su-31 at hobbypeople - anyone familiar with it? http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/123741.asp

Erik, you and the searches I've done on this site and elsewhere are really pushing me toward the mojo but I'm not totally decided yet.

Rodney
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:57 AM
USA, VA, Central
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
The MoJo is definitely hard to beat. I've read that the Modeltech Sukhoi is a decent design, but very fragile. A 3D trainer is going to take a lot of abuse and the last thing you want is a plane that can't withstand the punishment. The full-length tube in the MoJo is what gives it great durability.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
rwp
rwp
Joined Nov 2003
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt
Chinn Yak is out of stock. I found the OMP v3 edge 540. It seems to be out of stock too. Mojo ARF is out of stock. So, I may get the mojo kit or I may try the ebay plane and let you know.

I'll decide within a few days. I would like to find out if there are some more options.

Rodney
I just completed a Chinn Yak recently with a Saito 82. Real nice setup. I'm a beginner at 3D but started with electric AirfoilZ Yak and learned to hover it. The Chinn Yak hovers real easy, just use a lot of expo to start with. You might want to get on the waiting list for a Mojo 40 ARF.
rwp is offline Find More Posts by rwp
Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:39 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
cap 232 40 profile

I went ahead and bought the ebay plane to play with for the time being - not arrived yet. I figure that there's a good chance that I'll beat it up badly or destroy it. If I do, maybe by then the mojo arf will be available and I can get one of those. The much larger expense is in the flight pack and engine, which I can reuse, if needed.

For rx, I'll probably get an ar6200 or the new ar500, if it will work with a dx7. I'll probably get standard jr st47bb servos (I have four ds821 servos that I may use in all but the thrott position but I was kind of saving those for something that needed them - tho, they would save me about $50 now). Suggestions?

I assume that more is better and if that is so, I'll use the magnum .52 2 stroke instead of the os .46 fx.

I'll post some pics, if anyone is interested when I get it. One of the feedback notes on this plane said it didn't have a written instruction manual. I guess that's what all of the pics are for. Anyway, I may need some suggestions, e.g., where to set the cg and what sort of CA - thin or medium?.

Rodney

here's a pic from one of the ebay ads

Last edited by rodneygt; Aug 24, 2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: to add a pic
Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:50 PM
USA, VA, Central
Joined Oct 2006
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt
I'll probably get standard jr st47bb servos (I have four ds821 servos that I may use in all but the thrott position but I was kind of saving those for something that needed them - tho, they would save me about $50 now). Suggestions?

I assume that more is better and if that is so, I'll use the magnum .52 2 stroke instead of the os .46 fx.

I'll post some pics, if anyone is interested when I get it.

Anyway, I may need some suggestions, e.g., where to set the cg and what sort of CA - thin or medium?.

Rodney
I'd save my dollars and go ahead and use the 821s. Lots of folks use them in profiles and they enjoy a pretty good reputation. As far as the engine, I'd gladly trade a few hundred rpm for good reliability and transition. If that Magnum scores high in both of those, go for it. If you don't trust it, the OS would probably be a better choice. As far as CA, I tend to use it for CA hinges only. I almost always use either wood glue, epoxy or one of the foaming polyurethane glues for general building. There are lots of people, however, who have good results with CA on all kinds of joints, so clearly that's an option as well. Maybe someone will chime in with their thoughts.

And by all means, share that bird with us. I'd love to see some pics and hear your assessment of its construction and overall quality.
Last edited by justerik; Aug 21, 2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:43 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
I'm about to finish breaking in the .52. I've got to get a few more flights on it to really appreciate its thottle control but it seems much better than I expected. I'd read the the mid range was not too good on this engine but I've not noticed it. I gave a little special attention to the hsn - see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902234 . It seems good - on par with the os and is awfully powerful. For smoothness and throttling I would choose my tt pro .46 - it's perfect but it's on my mustang and I specially cut the cowl for its swept-back needle valve.

I'll continue to post but I don't know what worth my opinion will be. Other than my current two planes, I've only seen others once (which was also the only other time I've seen rc planes fly), so I don't have very much experience. But, I'll do my best.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:34 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
suggestions from someone with this plane

Pasted below are three responses I received from someone who actually has this plane and has now flown it. I found them very useful and thought I would post them here in case anyone else has this plane.

Mine arrived at the office today. I will open it and have a look at it later and take a pic or two.

Quote:
I have not flown mine yet I received it on Monday and just finished it a few minutes ago.
It didn't come with any instructions at all, but if you have built a couple of ARFs you shouldn't have any problems. I used Gorilla glue to fill in the gaps between the wing and fuselage because I don't trust thin CA alone. All the hardware is usable but I used my own metal 2-52 rods and clevises as well as larger control horns.
I used $9 Cirrus high torque standard servos which at 6 volts should give me 102oz of torque. My electronics are a 11.1v lipo with a 6v regulator and a small spektrum 6100 park flyer receiver. For power I installed a magnum 52 four stroke.
and it seems to balance perfectly without any extra weight.
I calculated the CG at approx 6.5" from the wings leading edge. I will know if that is ok after I fly it. I set the control throws to maximum for high rate and 30% on low rate, which is still a lot of throw.
For under $100 it is a nice little 3D plane and should do any trick in the book.
If you want to know how it flys email me again Saturday and I will give you an update.

- - - - - -

Hi again Rodney,
It's not the number of months or years you have been flying it all depends on how much fuel you have burned. The H9 mustang is basically a low wing trainer even without the gear but you should be ready for the 3D Cap 232 if you keep the control throws to 30% just set your high rate to as much elevator and rudder as you can get, and the low rate at 30% of that. Just keep it on low rate until you get used to it.
Also after flying mine today I found that it is a little squirrelly with 40% MAC on the CG so you might try starting around 30% which is about 5" back from the leading edge for starters. I will say that it hangs like it is on the rack and knife edge and inverted flight is like it's on rails. My 52FS magnum is just the right amount of power and with a 13x4 nylon prop it will go straight up out of sight. I give it 9 out of 10 stars for Quality and price. $66.00 plus shipping.
Minus one star because of crappy landing gear.
I will be taking it every time I go flying.

- - - - - -

Two 12" extensions for the rear servos.
A 6V NimH will fit in the wing with the receiver but I mounted mine on the fuse so I could use the weight for ballance. I installed a 6V regulator so I can use any type battery I want, normally a 2 or 3 cell lipo. If you are using a Nicad or NimH you can use a 4-6" extension to mount it outside of the wing compartment
I use lipos in everything including a 11.1v in my Spektrum DX7 xmitter which lets me fly for a month without charging. This is the best place for RC parts and Accessories: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:40 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
The Box

Here's a pic of the contents of the box. It came double boxed. As noted there's no instructions. I looked at it very briefly and everything looks good. Top of the wing is blue - bottom is red checkerboard. The stickers are not pre-applied. I put a coke zero can int the pic for scale. The hardware, tank etc are not visible in the pic but are there.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
Joined Jan 2006
100 Posts
Looks good! Show us more when you get around to it. How is the construction? How is the hardware?

Subscribed!
extraedge is offline Find More Posts by extraedge