HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2013, 08:46 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,163 Posts
Actually my first version was only about 24" long. I didn't have a small motor at the time though so it didn't fly well at all. That is my main reason for bumping up the size.

The kit version I am working on is actually around 75% of the plans version. I wanted to make it fit on less than 2 sheets of foam.

I would say that anything is good as long as you have a small enough motor. I would probably go as small as 50% using a Blue Wonder sized (19g) motor. Any smaller you would probably want to go down to a 10g motor.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2013, 10:18 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,241 Posts
Mini Viper

I have had great success with the 1806 2500KV motor from HK. A 5" prop and 500-800 3s battery makes my 18" F22 scream! It should work with no problems on the Viper. I am going to print your initial plans out and give her a try. I'll keep you posted. marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old May 02, 2013, 04:07 PM
Crazy Foamie Builder
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jan 2010
918 Posts
i almost think a super small version of this would be too twitchy....even big the anhedral make it tricky to fly...smaller i think it would be a super handful....bigger is better on this in my opinion....
JettaManDan is offline Find More Posts by JettaManDan
Old May 02, 2013, 04:19 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,163 Posts
If you do a small version it would have to be super light. That is why i said 10g motor, 2.5g servos, 300 mah battery etc. Something around 3 or 4 ounce max AUW.
Old May 09, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
If you do a small version it would have to be super light. That is why i said 10g motor, 2.5g servos, 300 mah battery etc. Something around 3 or 4 ounce max AUW.
Hey Talon,
Just put this video together and,

Dark Vaders Battleship (2 min 29 sec)

thought it fit in here rather nicely,,
Don't ya think??lol
Later,
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:48 PM
The world in foam & tissue
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2010
620 Posts
Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper Skins (original series)

It's been a long time coming but her she is. My Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper (original series). This plane and the skins that go on them are huge! These are my custom (my picture in the cockpit and my name below it) prototype tissue paper coverings. As with any first I have some tweaks to do but for the most part I like the look and feel I got with it. I call them the original series skins but there are some more modern touches I stole from the newer series just because I liked them. For reference, my lovely daughter is about 5 ft even.
Now for that Cylon Raider....
Rasterize is offline Find More Posts by Rasterize
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Rasterize; Aug 29, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:00 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
433 Posts
Wow!

That's awesome Ras! Flight report?
Absolutley beautiful.
Caddguy6 is offline Find More Posts by Caddguy6
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:02 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,163 Posts
Holy Crap!!! That is amazing looking Steve!!!!

I like the perpendicular gun instead of flat on the wing. I am going to make that a permanent change so keep the skin for it

Posting the pics on the FB page.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined May 2010
620 Posts
Thanks guys! No flight report yet. I built 5 planes in the last 3 months and I'm running out of electronics! The Viper will be sharing a motor with the Enterprise and I still have to get some wire to extend the battery way out near the nose from what I hear to get a good CG. I'd really like to make a nice video with it and a Cylon Raider some day.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:23 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,163 Posts
Me too! Send me some skins.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:43 PM
Space Drydock 22
Finland, Kuopio
Joined Aug 2010
210 Posts
When I was kid I often dream to have one or two of these toys. Battlestar Galactica Vertibird, Viper Launch Station, or Radio Control Cylon Raider.

http://www.lurexlounge.com/bsg/mattelcat79.php

Now I can built my own Battlestar Galactica "toys" and fly them, that is just awesome!

Thanks!
SanctusSanctorum is offline Find More Posts by SanctusSanctorum
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterize View Post
Thanks guys! No flight report yet. I built 5 planes in the last 3 months and I'm running out of electronics! The Viper will be sharing a motor with the Enterprise and I still have to get some wire to extend the battery way out near the nose from what I hear to get a good CG. I'd really like to make a nice video with it and a Cylon Raider some day.
Maybe a lighter,,, smaller,,, battery would correct that cg??
Just thinking out loud?
My enterprise flew but with some damage on her maiden.
then just went to the next aircraft no real problem solving effort..lol

5 STAR TRECK GOODIES, .wmv (3 min 53 sec)

Shuttle and Mario launch pad ,Witch on a stick (12 min 51 sec)

later,
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Last edited by lennyboy; Aug 29, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:21 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,163 Posts
Lenny, what he is talking about is that the Viper is designed with the motor on the tail. Normally i put the motor in a slot which helps CG a lot.

The CG on the plane is right at the back of the cockpit. So a battery needs to be put forward of that point. I have about a 18" wire going forward to connect my battery. No big deal. Most pushers have similar issues.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined May 2010
620 Posts
Don't let tissue paper fool you. Most of SGTalons awesome designs are going to need a larger battery and have it usually nudged toward the nose (if possible) as well when you add the skins. Most of the tissue/glue/Polycrylic weight is at the tail in an already tail heavy plane.
I'm thinking on starting with an 1800 - 2200 mAh 3S three to five inches from the nose on the Viper.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:33 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,163 Posts
CG is back of Cockpit Steve.

BTW. I think you should offer your services to do custom cockpit skins for people. They trim off the generic one and you supply the custom one ... for a fee of course.

I wonder how much people would be willing to pay for that service?