HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2011, 06:47 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,135 Posts
Hi Mic

Glad you like the plane. I had quite a bit of throw on the control surfaces. I think i was going to about 35-40 degrees both ways. I don't think i neccesarily used all of it but i had it with my dual rates.

It looks nice though. Make sure you post some pictures and videos of it flying!

As to the CNC program, I would prefer that you didn't put it out there. Too easy for someone to just start mass producing the thing and selling it. If someone wants to go through the trouble to build a CNC program like you did that is ok but i don't want to make it too easy for someone that maybe doesn't have the same sense of sharing that we do go out and make a bunch of money off our work.

Besides, i will be putting out a kit version of this plane very soon. It would be better to just point people here i think.

Thanks for asking though!
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Sep 2004
54 Posts
O.K., no problem, so I will will not make it available for everybody.

Michael
micbu is offline Find More Posts by micbu
Last edited by micbu; Aug 04, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:12 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
I just Gotta' build one of these !!!!!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:07 AM
Crazy Foamie Builder
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jan 2010
910 Posts
it's a cool flyer..looks sick in the air..you want a lot of elevon authority...just don't try to do a loop unless you make it big and start from really high altitude
JettaManDan is online now Find More Posts by JettaManDan
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:12 AM
Joined Sep 2004
54 Posts
The plane is ready for maiden.
Guys, what is your total weight of that funny thing? I am a little bit scared, a used a heavy battery (118g), a large ESC (30A) and a lot of paint.
The total weight of my Viper is now 515g.

Michael
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:17 AM
Joined Sep 2004
54 Posts
The maiden was successful. Awesome!!!
There are some minor details I am going to improve, but this plane is simply great!
For all those who want to built one: Do it!
Sorry, no videos of the flights, but a pic of the actual looking.

Michael
Last edited by micbu; Aug 11, 2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:46 AM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,135 Posts
Hey Mike.

You went full scale right? Mine is a little lighter than that but with as much wing area as this plane has it should be able to handle more than that with no problem.

Glad it went well and hope to see pics soon!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:15 AM
Joined Sep 2004
54 Posts
Yes, right, full scale.
The weight is really no problem, but it is not as slow as expected.
I use a MP 2830 930kV motor and a 9x7 prop. I thought it would be slow, but it is not.

Michael
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:37 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,135 Posts
In Case you are not subscribed to the other threads...

New Website is up! Check it out.

www.sg-ideas.com

I think it is an improvement over the old one... of course I deleted the old one so you will never know.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
niceeeeeeeeeee, just finished viper in smaller size. 60cm long. What now...
servos? motor, esc, battery, vtail mixer???????
Can anyone help? what kind of setup do i need?
sb_borg is offline Find More Posts by sb_borg
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:12 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,135 Posts
You need to have elevon mix. Not V-tail.

It is hard to recommend equipment for such a small sized plane. I tried to build a small one first and it was not a good flyer. It was just too heavy.

I would recommend going small on everything. 5g servos, 500 mah battery, and a 19g motor. Make sure your motor has a lot of power for the size. It should have enough thrust to do at least 1:1 Thrust to Weight ratio.

Post some pictures!

Also... you NEED to have experience with flying a plane that has Ailerons. If you don't get a simulator or build a trainer with ailerons. You will not be able to fly this plane with no aileron experience. Even better you should have a lot of aerobatic experience. This is not an easy plane to fly. But it does fly great!!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts

isn't vtail and elevon mix are the same thing?
I'm helicopter flyer, i will try to learn flying plane on hard way... foam is cheap..
is this motor strong enough... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HexTronik-20...item5643d4f899
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:02 AM
Caracas, Venezuela
Joined Oct 2008
68 Posts
A v-tail mixes rudder and elevator, an elevon mixes elevator and ailerons.
Guerrero is offline Find More Posts by Guerrero
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:18 AM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,135 Posts
It might be good. It looks like what most people call a Blue Wonder Motor. Since it is not the regular size and motor that i used i can't be 100% sure that it will be good enough though. There are a lot of things that go into making the plane fly right.

My first Viper was about the same size as what you built. I had a lot of trouble with keeping the weight down and it just did not fly good. I sized it up and it made a huge difference. It went from a barely controllable brick to a great flying aerobatic plane.

Your build looks pretty good. I would add 2 skids to the bottom of the wing though. I put mine on the bottom plate and it supported the whole plane so it doesn't rest on the wing tips. I thought they were in the plans... maybe not.

BTW, you can upload pictures using the RCgroups storage system. When you are replying just hit the "go advanced" button and then "manage attachments".

Good luck with your conversion to planes! This is probably not the best plane to learn on but like you said foam is cheap!

If you really want an easy plane to fly though, my Cylon Raider is actually a lot easier... simpler to build too! Just don't change the scale!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Hello parkflyers... me again with a few questions...
After a little study i decided to buy electronics for my first parkflyer... if it will not fly i will try to build another...

this is a list of things i will buy and just want your opinions....

and 500mah 7.4v lipo battery

this is very cheap... about 30$ all