HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2009, 06:26 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
26 Posts
Ugly Stik lives again

By the way, I have rebuilt the Ugly Stik and she is airborne once more. The only cost so far is in balsa and time - although I did break an unused pin off the Eagletree logger.
All in all, a very good outcome.
tb49er is offline Find More Posts by tb49er
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:49 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb49er
Well, a certain anonymous member of our club crashed at the edge of the field last week. He recovered everything and then arrived home to find only the Loc8or tag was missing. Well, we found the tag that evening - so I recommend buying the Loc8or to find lost tags!
nice!
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 13, 2009, 05:43 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I slope soar in an area with lots of tall grass, trees and rough terrain, and in the past have spent many hours searching for lost planes (sometimes even successfully).

I decided to buy a Loc8tor, based partly on the positive comments on this thread.
In fact 2 mates also bought one each, as it sounded like the perfect solution to our problems.
We got the standard LCD Loc8tors with silver tags.

There's always someone who'll complain, and today that person is me.....

Sorry, but I will not recommend this device to anyone hoping to use it to find a lost plane.

Why ?
As clearly stated by the manufacturer, It only works effectively when the tag is "in a clear line of sight" of the transmitter.
Think about that for a moment.

It'll work great if the transmitter can "see" the reciever, but if that's the case, then you can also "see" your plane, and will probably have no use for the Loc8tor.

Today I got distracted and lost sight of my plane, it was fitted with a Loc8tor and a Lost Model Alarm (LMA).
I took my best guess and headed off to look for my plane.
I got lucky today, after 10 minutes, I found myself about 300 feet from the plane when I heard the LMA, the Loc8tor was silent.
I checked the Loc8tor every 50 foot while following the sound, but still the Loc8tor was silent.
I got to within 5 feet of the plane (the sound of the LMA was deafenning) before the Locator "found" the plane.
So what was blocking its "clear line of sight" I hear you ask ?
A clump of grass.

TOTALLY USELESS.

By all means buy one if you want to use it to find your Keys, or your runaway Turtle...but don't bother if you want to find a plane.

For the price of one of these, you can buy enough LMAs to outfit your entire fleet...and they actually work.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:07 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,463 Posts
Hi,
Gotta ask: Was it buried in the ground?? In the water?? Did you do a proper range test before you used it? Were the batteries in the tab and the unit brand new? I wouldn't trust the ones that came with it. The standard version is not as good as the plus version, but it still sounds like you got a lemon if it triggered for you at 5 feet. Send it back! Mine triggered at 300ft upside down under an aluminum plate even after a cow had stepped on it The range test showed 520ft at line of sight. I mounted mine on a 16ft. pole to help it get out of the ground clutter. Here is a thread talking about possible improvements: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post10751721
A good LMA is cheaper and a must as you say as well, but redundant and separately powered and working systems for locating lost models is the key to location success. The loc8tor by itself is not perfect, but as you know nothing really is in this price range I was using the lower range silver tags BTW.
BTW, nice blog and models TSnake
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSnake
I slope soar in an area with lots of tall grass, trees and rough terrain, and in the past have spent many hours searching for lost planes (sometimes even successfully).

I decided to buy a Loc8tor, based partly on the positive comments on this thread.
In fact 2 mates also bought one each, as it sounded like the perfect solution to our problems.
We got the standard LCD Loc8tors with silver tags.

There's always someone who'll complain, and today that person is me.....
For the price of one of these, you can buy enough LMAs to outfit your entire fleet...and they actually work.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Mar 16, 2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:25 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Was it buried in the ground??
No, plane was sitting on the ground, hiding behind some grass.
Quote:
In the water??
No, no water was involved.
Quote:
Did you do a proper range test before you used it?
Yes, with a clear line of sight, it works as advertised (probably 600 foot range)
Quote:
Were the batteries in the tab and the unit brand new?
Yes.
Quote:
The standard version is not as good as the plus version, but it still sounds like you got a lemon if it triggered for you at 5 feet. Send it back
I got it through Ebay, sellers don't like giving money back if the goods work as advertised, which this does (600 foot range - line of sight).
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:17 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
Quote:
Why ?
As clearly stated by the manufacturer, It only works effectively when the tag is "in a clear line of sight" of the transmitter.
Think about that for a moment.
well, sorry about your problems, but I think we need to put them out to pasture as "the spike" in the results... because nobody here is lying about their results.

...did you retest your circumstances with any of your friend's loc8tors?...

Apparently the black tags (the tags, not the hand held unit) have better abilities.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:39 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I'm not accusing anyone of lying, I'm just reporting my experiences.

Thanks for dismissing my opinions so quickly, that should save a lot of time.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:35 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
Quote:
I'm not accusing anyone of lying, I'm just reporting my experiences.

Thanks for dismissing my opinions so quickly, that should save a lot of time.
I don't believe "5 feet" as being anywhere near the norm. Did you try the same circumstance with your friend's loc8tors?...

You were using the grey tags, but as stated in another thread, the blag tags are better... this is your "out" for feeling slighted. By all accounts, if you get the black tags you should get some pretty remarkable range.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:50 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc8tor
Hello, I work for Loc8tor. First of all I would like to say thank you for doing such a thorough review. We are proud of our products and are constantly developing them to increase their performance.
A top tip to get the best range is to buy a loc8tor plus (has the strongest receiver) and the very latest new black tags (are the strongest emitters).
To help matters and for feeling smug about our product I will offer 10% off all orders and keep the postage low too for the next couple of weeks. Put discount code RCGROUPS to qualify for the offer.
Cheers
TR
Hi,
Iīd like to buy one of them. But what are the exact differences in the operating distance between the Plus-version and the Lite-version and between the black und the grey Tag? You say that the Plus-Version with the black Tag is the best combination. Letīs say this combination has 100 percent:

What do you think about Plus-version with original grey Tag: 98 % or 90% or 50% ?

And whats with Lite-Version with Black Tag compared to Plus-Version with Black tag: 98 % 90% 50% ?

Do you think itīs really necessary to buy a plus version and additional black Tag? What will I do with the original grey Tag?

Best regards
Jochen
jraichle is offline Find More Posts by jraichle
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:57 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraichle
Hi,
Iīd like to buy one of them. But what are the exact differences in the operating distance between the Plus-version and the Lite-version and between the black und the grey Tag? You say that the Plus-Version with the black Tag is the best combination. Letīs say this combination has 100 percent:

What do you think about Plus-version with original grey Tag: 98 % or 90% or 50% ?

And whats with Lite-Version with Black Tag compared to Plus-Version with Black tag: 98 % 90% 50% ?

Do you think itīs really necessary to buy a plus version and additional black Tag? What will I do with the original grey Tag?

Best regards
Jochen
I think it's just about the voices in your head... the black tags are better, so if you're really worried about things the voices will be happier with a black tag. However, if you walk in the direction of last seen, you can typically find planes without a pile of range. It's an amazing gadget.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:16 PM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Sep 2008
64 Posts
I think these two products are the same thing, one is just much more expensive:

http://www.loc8tor.com/Store/product...k,153,110.aspx

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/child-locator.html

I think I will try the child locator if there is no difference.

Also, are the silver tags that come with the new Locator plus, the same as the "upgraded" black tags?
jasonrusso is offline Find More Posts by jasonrusso
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:01 PM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
I've given up on my Loc8tor because the batteries in the tags go flat. You fit one in a plane, you don't lose the plane for several months, and then when you do, the loc8tor fails because the tag battery is flat.

The system works reasonably well with fresh batteries, but the problem is that it's all down hill from there.

I reckon the system just doesn't work for rare events such as plane flyaways. You would need to be bothered getting the tag out of the plane and changing the battery every couple of months ... but in real life that's never going to happen.
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:13 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,463 Posts
Make it a checklist item. They take 10 seconds to replace I take mine out if I am not going to use them for months. ...Or do a mod for a larger battery as I did here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post13127301
Cheers
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamehead View Post
I've given up on my Loc8tor because the batteries in the tags go flat. You fit one in a plane, you don't lose the plane for several months, and then when you do, the loc8tor fails because the tag battery is flat.
The system works reasonably well with fresh batteries, but the problem is that it's all down hill from there.
I reckon the system just doesn't work for rare events such as plane flyaways. You would need to be bothered getting the tag out of the plane and changing the battery every couple of months ... but in real life that's never going to happen.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:41 PM
Crashing but learning...
Brazil, São Paulo, Sao Paulo
Joined May 2009
463 Posts
Well after what happened to me, bought the loc8tor...

Lost / Crash Cessna 182 rc plane to wind (5 min 25 sec)

Thank you for the review Thekm
Wildweasel09 is offline Find More Posts by Wildweasel09
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:16 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,487 Posts
Never used them in a plane but I've used them on the collars of my dogs and they work great. One of my dogs lost his collar a couple of times both times in very deep undergrowth and the loc8tor took me straight to it. This was in undergrowth so dense I literally could not see an arms length in front of me, but I was still taken directly to the 'target'.

For fun I've tried them in my home and they work through walls and through floors... So i can say for sure 'direct' line of sight is not required.. though obviously range is reduced when stuff is in the way.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer