HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:21 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
I checked out the website, and the Loc8tor appears to be another device which uses the 2.4 GHz frequency.
7rider is online now Find More Posts by 7rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2008, 03:30 AM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
I lost my glider with a loc8tor tag in it, and I was a bit annoyed that the loc8tor didn't pick up a signal until it was within about 50 feet of the plane. It turned out the nose of the plane was buried in the ground! The plane was invisible in long grass and the tag was several inches underground. So the loc8tor did its job well, I probably wouldn't have found the plane without it.
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
Old Aug 22, 2008, 02:48 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamehead
I lost my glider with a loc8tor tag in it, and I was a bit annoyed that the loc8tor didn't pick up a signal until it was within about 50 feet of the plane. It turned out the nose of the plane was buried in the ground! The plane was invisible in long grass and the tag was several inches underground. So the loc8tor did its job well, I probably wouldn't have found the plane without it.
dang, nice job on the lawn-dart!
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 23, 2008, 07:15 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Quote:
From their site you can order for the UK, USA, Spain and France with no other country options.
When you add an item to your basket, you can select any country. $9.99 to Canada for example.
http://www.loc8tor.com/basket.asp

Because they use 2.4GHz you have all the usual problems of water, wet grass, carbon fibre and metal blocking the signal. When the tag is on the ground, it really helps to get up in the air yourself with the locator -- climb a tree or stand on a truck if you can't get a signal.

Congratulations, the Loc8tor main page includes a link to this review.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:51 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage53
When you add an item to your basket, you can select any country. $9.99 to Canada for example.
http://www.loc8tor.com/basket.asp

Because they use 2.4GHz you have all the usual problems of water, wet grass, carbon fibre and metal blocking the signal. When the tag is on the ground, it really helps to get up in the air yourself with the locator -- climb a tree or stand on a truck if you can't get a signal.

Congratulations, the Loc8tor main page includes a link to this review.

Rick.
Sweet! Thanks for the update Rick, very handy to know. When I ordered mine I tried to see if the ordering process could select another country at the time (hence the statement in the review) but couldn't. Good to know that they've now made it easier for others. Will see if I can get an edit put into the review or on the tail of it.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:12 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,206 Posts
I would like more info on the tags beeping. Do they beep all the time? Do they beep when away from the rx?

Thanks
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:48 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
I would like more info on the tags beeping. Do they beep all the time? Do they beep when away from the rx?

Thanks
They beep only when being actively searched for. So they're dead quiet until you turn on the handset and select the tag to be found. The finding process involves a two way communication with the tag... when the handset locates the tag, the tag starts beeping. If you turn off the handset, it'll stop beeping.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 05:24 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,206 Posts
Thanks for the info! I am ordering one today. I lost my Kyosho in a beanfield yesterday. Went in a dive and wouldn't pull out. Went in at full throttle, probably 110mph so I know little would have been salvageable, but I still would have liked to find it.

By the way, I like the idea of making a wire antenna for the tags for better distance. Anyone have any info on this?
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Aug 25, 2008, 06:51 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
I think I will get one and put the second tag on my wifes car keys. She loses these more than I will ever lose a plnae. Thanks for the review.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:18 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
By the way, I like the idea of making a wire antenna for the tags for better distance. Anyone have any info on this?
I wish I did

unless some electronics guy can chip in for us, I may send an email to loc8tor to see if they have access to some guy willing to impart the knowledge to a DIY'er. Would be handy to know.
Old Sep 01, 2008, 06:45 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Looks pretty solid from this
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Sep 02, 2008, 03:29 AM
Manly NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2003
47 Posts
Found this whilst trawling the web

Cracking open a tag
With the batteries removed and the tag board exhumed from it’s plastic coffin, you can see how easy it will be to insert this small board into items like laptops and such. You can also see the integrated antenna starting on the right side of the board and wrapping around the board perimeter.

The tag and receiver use a proprietary air interface (data protocol), and operate on the 2.45GHz band. For those of you who feel daring, you could cut/gouge the antenna leads on the tag board and try coming up with a straight full wave dipole antenna to see if you could enhance the range of the system. Unless my math is wrong (which it very well could be), the full wavelength of 2.45GHz is about 12.245 centimeters. Minus 5% for velocity factor, makes each leg of a 2.45GHz full wave dipole antenna about 2.9 centimeters long, which is close to the size of the antennas on the tag board. The only thing that might be impeding performance is the fact that the integrated antenna on the tag board is wrapped around the board’s perimeter. A straight dipole antenna, like the one in the receiver, might perform better. However, I wouldn’t suggest altering the antenna… usually these things are designed to perform at their best ability and rolling your own usually results in decreased performance. I especially wouldn’t mess with the receiver antenna… it has some passive elements on the underside of the plastic slide-up lid that assist with direction finding, and messing with that messes with the entire point of the receiver.

The first thing you want to do is remove the speaker from the tag board. The tag beeps and flashes a red surface mount LED when being located, which is great for the intended purpose of finding your keys… but you don’t want the stolen merchandise giving away the fact that you’re tracking down the rats who stole it with a bunch of high pitched beeping. With the speaker and housing removed, the tag still works like a charm.
Ozzy Bear is offline Find More Posts by Ozzy Bear
Old Sep 02, 2008, 09:33 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
thanks for hunting that down and posting. some pretty interesting info. I'll re-crack open one of the tags to see if it's antenna is that prominent.
Old Sep 02, 2008, 04:24 PM
Manly NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2003
47 Posts
You should be aware that tag battery life can be as low as 2 months but generally about 6 months.

It is a good idea to check tag function on first flight of the day or .......!!

Just for interest - Our club has two master locators ie up to 48 tags and members need only buy a tag for flying at the club field.
Ozzy Bear is offline Find More Posts by Ozzy Bear
Old Sep 02, 2008, 08:34 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Dipoles are not a panacea

One of the advantages of the design as is, is that you don't have the dead spots off the end of a dipole. If a dipole was lying on the ground in the right orientation, you wouldn't be able to pick up a signal from some or possibly all directions. So the added range would often be a liability.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53