HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2001, 04:30 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
hotliner on a low cost power system ?

i was thinking about getting a small (by comparison) hotliner, something like the simprop lift off xs - http://www.simprop.de/index.htm
at the moment i am not willing to invest in an expensive brushless setup (although i see one in the future).
can this model or any other for that matter fly well with an inline gearbox (something like the graupner inline boxes), or will it be a waiste of time & money ?

from what i know than the power off part of flying a hotliner has nothing to do with the power plant, only with the airframe. so, gaining altitude could take some time (magnetic mayhem + inline 2.8 + 12x10 folder + 8x1900 scr pack) but most of the flying can be quite exciting.

appreciate your replies, oded.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2001, 04:52 AM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
Oded,
I have used a simple system, it was a geared endoplasma in a simprop rabbit. The gearbox was an inline 2.8:1 and I used a 12x7 on 7 2400's and the climb was really good with this setup (for the price). The MM would not get it to height so quickly but would still work with your 12x10 on 8 cells since the total power would be roughly the same.
I like the rabbit its quite fast but the moulding is heavy, which is great for hard landings but makes thermalling a little more difficult. The nose had to be extended to get the plane to balance as well but I recommend it as a good flyer.
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
Old Apr 13, 2001, 09:46 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,576 Posts
A hot little motor is the hot wind can motor from Dymond. This is the one used in the Crazee. They also sell a cheap gearbox(bb supported) that would make a good combo.
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Apr 14, 2001, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
thanks for replying.
the simprop "rabbit" is high on my list. i do have to decide which one to get - simprop rabbit or simprop lift off xs.

kyri, would you charecterize the rabbit as a hotliner ?
Old Apr 17, 2001, 04:01 PM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
Rabbit as a hotliner? Most definately. Its a very nice plane, and with a geared setup and a nose extension it will climb nicely and build up lots of speed in a dive. I have considered 10 cells and I'm sure the wing would cope, but I may put some carbon tows on the underside just to make sure.
I have thermalled this plan, its glide is a little to fast to make it easy but the flights can be long if you happen to find a thermal...

I use the plane to practise with since it is slightly less precious than a plane with a fully moulded wing!

Get one, Oded!
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
Old Apr 18, 2001, 11:09 AM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
Kyri, thanks for the info'.

is the Rabbit an ARF ? why do you need to extend the nose, is it a CG problem ? are you familiar with the simprop lift off xs, they seem to be from the same performance class, what do you think ?

oded.
Old Apr 20, 2001, 04:38 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
I have a xs and a friend has the rabbit - the rabbit does not fly nearly as well as the xs and is not as good looking. Go for the xs but watch it when banking still tends to drop away if your speed in not high enough (simprop say the winglets reduce this)
rorywquin is offline Find More Posts by rorywquin
Old Apr 20, 2001, 04:40 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
Forgot to mention that I am using the 2000/7 motor recommended (basic setup) by Simprop - but it needs something a little hotter.
rorywquin is offline Find More Posts by rorywquin
Old Apr 21, 2001, 01:02 AM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
"rorywquin",
what kind of motor is the 2000/7 ? some type of a speed 600 or hotter ? why don't you add an inline gearbox to it ?

oded.
Old Apr 29, 2001, 11:49 PM
ovid MI USA
Joined May 2000
622 Posts
looking for the same type of plane only on a inexspensive brushless set up. what did you fellers come up with. Because of my job I need somthing I can get in the air Quick. Thanks-------- Mike
Superbike is offline Find More Posts by Superbike
Old May 06, 2002, 06:23 PM
Barcelona, Spain, Europe
Joined May 2002
3 Posts
simprop 2000/7

Hi oded!
I fly an old kyosho FLASH EP powered by a SIMPROP 2000/7, an APC 11"X8.5"electric prop, the original gearbox modified to 1.65:1 ratio (23T pinion) and a 7 cell 2000 mAh Corally battery pack. It drags 26.5 A (static) and makes it climb at an impressive 60š angle! Itīs a great ferrite magnet motor, not too expensive, 600 sized with lots of torque (note the huge prop for such a small gear ratio). To take the most of this motor I recommend always 7 cell packs, and test several props or combination gearbox/prop until you reach 26-27 amps (static). It doesnīt works well with small props because itīs a low revving motor.
Good flies!

ah! any good-looking ARTF 50" low wing model on the market? (better if itīs a warbird)
HECTOR is offline Find More Posts by HECTOR
Old May 07, 2002, 09:51 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Hi Oded,

Still intrigued by the Lift Off XS?

OK, a friend still has his, and the power system has been developed over the last few months:

Believe it or not, the system is now 10 CP1300 with the Mag Mayhem, Graupner 2.8:1 box, and matching 12x10. All I can say is that the whole package now has me interested, not up to brushless performance, but sufficient. For some reason the left stick does nothing when I move it sideways, but we could have a cure for that coming soon

Enjoy.
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old May 07, 2002, 04:42 PM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
John,

i started this thread over a year ago (way before I knew the bandit). I suppose HECTOR found it in a search he did and answered my question regarding the 2000/7 motor issue which was remained open for quite some time (thank you very much HECTOR, motor sounds pretty good !).

John, the info regarding the lift off xs was still very usefull - thanks.

Oded.