HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:55 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,819 Posts
According to the prop charts that Innovative Design provides, with that motor and an APC 9x6 E prop, you'll be getting an amp draw of about 19 amps and 210 watts, which is pretty close to the limit of the motor. You could prop down to an 8x6 for a slightly smaller amp draw. Going to a 8x4 would get you down to 13 amps and 140 watts. Which is still enough to fly the Ace. What size battery are you going to use? I use a 3S 1300, and that is a tight fit through the hole in the former at the rear of the hatch, which is where I need to have the battery to set the CG with the trike gear.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
278 Posts
The website says to use a 3S-1300 20c battery. Is there any hope of using a 11.1v 3S 1800 mAH 15c battery? I have 4 of them laying around from a crashed foamy that probably won't see the light of day. I will be using the trike gear too.
JudahBenHur is online now Find More Posts by JudahBenHur
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:06 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahBenHur View Post
The website says to use a 3S-1300 20c battery. Is there any hope of using a 11.1v 3S 1800 mAH 15c battery? I have 4 of them laying around from a crashed foamy that probably won't see the light of day. I will be using the trike gear too.
Mine were taildragers and with a 1300mAh it balanced well with the batt almost against the firewall which made it very easy. I gather with trike gear the batt needs to be moved back a bit and space is tight.

I think batt placement with an 1800mAh in a trike may be problematic but I haven't tried it.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:10 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudahBenHur View Post
You'll have to try and see how they fit through the former at the rear of the battery hatch.
If they fit through, you should be fine. If not, you probably still can use them if you remove the wing to install the battery, rather than the hatch. Not the best solution, I know, but a viable option to use the battery packs you already have.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:26 PM
Joined Jun 2007
69 Posts
I fly my lucky ace with a 1800 3 cell in it. It fits pretty tight but it fits. I would make sure you locate as much of the other radio gear as you can to the back though. I built mine as a tail dragger so I was able to put the rudder servo in the tail. If I remember right you need to put rudder servo more in the front of the fuselage to support tricycle gear configuration. You could always install a steering servo and a rear mounted rudder servo and connect them through a Y harness. This might make install a bit easier as well. Here are a few pics.
Caseywhite is offline Find More Posts by Caseywhite
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:45 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
Just BEAUTIFUL!!!
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:03 AM
Joined Sep 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseywhite View Post
I fly my lucky ace with a 1800 3 cell in it. It fits pretty tight but it fits. I would make sure you locate as much of the other radio gear as you can to the back though. I built mine as a tail dragger so I was able to put the rudder servo in the tail. If I remember right you need to put rudder servo more in the front of the fuselage to support tricycle gear configuration. You could always install a steering servo and a rear mounted rudder servo and connect them through a Y harness. This might make install a bit easier as well. Here are a few pics.
Your plane looks great. My battery fits in there no problem. They also slide easily into the next compartment. If I can get these to work then it would be great.
Last edited by JudahBenHur; Jan 17, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Jun 2007
69 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. Most of the credit goes to Brian though its easy to make it look good with such a great easy to build airplane. I hope others post pictures of their Lucky Aces as they get completed.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined Sep 2012
278 Posts
I will try to post a picture when it's done. I don't expect it will look pretty.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Jun 2007
69 Posts
I am sure it will look fine. Besides the important part is that it flies good, and considering it is a luck ace I am sure it will!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:37 AM
Joined Sep 2012
278 Posts
I've been lazy and haven't worked on the plane at all. I did buy some covering material and a curved sanding block along with some wire benders. I might have to dig around for some 220 to 420 sandpaper. I did notice something with my wing that maybe isn't correct. If you hold the leading edge of the wing against a flat surface, their is a gap of approx 3/16" at the center that slowly tapers away to both wing tips. In other words, the outside part of the wings are leading. If you press on it a little in the middle, it springs into being straight. The trailing edge is perfect when laid flat to the surface.

Should it be straight? Is that normal before any covering has been applied? Will it make it harder to fly or will the trim be able to take it away?
Last edited by JudahBenHur; Jan 09, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:37 PM
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Sep 2012
833 Posts
I'm finally getting around to doing something about the tail, getting it up a bit off the ground. I was going to use a wingtip skid on a balsa block, but it really looked crappy, like a big bump on the bottom of the plane.

Looking for another option I noticed I had an extra tail wheel assembly from my Hobby Zone Super Cub. Turns out it's just the right size! I recessed a couple spots to fit the design and epoxied it in place. It still needs some side support, but I'll take care of that after the epoxy cures.

The nice thing about this tailwheel is that it's got a built-in spring. The bad thing is that the way I installed it it's not steerable. If I had the rest of the tailwheel assembly I might have been able to make it steer. With the grass and reasonably rough surface I fly from the steering may not be much of an issue - I'll walk to get the plane if necessary.
Joker 53150 is offline Find More Posts by Joker 53150
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:59 AM
Joined Sep 2012
833 Posts
Has anybody tried flaperons on their ACE? The field I fly from isn't the smoothest and I'm thinking about the flaps to slow the landing speed a bit. Thoughts?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Sep 2012
278 Posts
I need to get in gear. Warm weather will be upon us in a month or two.

This is were she stands at the moment.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Sep 2012
833 Posts
Maidened the WWI themed ACE today!

The weather is too nice to work today, so I took a day off to play outside. My Lucky ACE is the first balsa plane I ever built and it's been waiting for the maiden flight since late last year. In that time I've also built a MM Switchback which has flown already. I've been waiting for better weather for the ACE since it's a hotter setup than the Switchback and I'm still a noob.

I ran two 1000mAh packs through the ACE, giving me 6 minute flights. The prop is a 9x5 (14A at 165 watts) which pulled it along nicely. I almost started with an 8x4 (10.5A at 125 watts) but decided at the last minute to upgrade to the bigger prop. ESC is an HK 20A, motor is the Turnigy Park 450 1050kv. Orange RX, Turnigy ER9X TX, and HK 9 gram servos.

My dual rates were set up as "very tame" and "not crazy" so I could check for any gremlins. The first take-off was uneventful, just a little trimming needed and it flew along nicely. Plenty of power to loop, run vertical, etc. After a few minutes getting a feel for it I switched to the higher rates and did some corkscrews to amuse myself. Inverted flight went as well (as well as I could muster, at least) with a little down elevator.

To help with orientation I had originally added some black stripes to the bottom of the wing. I did this before ever really flying a plane I built so I *thought* it would work. Well, it didn't. Black stripes on a sky-blue wing don't show up well for me at all. However, there is a white stripe on the top center of the wing that shows up well and the bottom front of the fuselage has a lot more red visible so those colors worked very well to help me figure out which end is up.

As mentioned, I'm still new at this, so correct me if I'm wrong. If I switch back to the 8x4 prop the motor will draw less power, but I'll also get less power. Drawing less power to me means the battery lasts longer, but I'll have to operate at a higher RPM to fly the plane which means drawing more power for that speed. I'd like to get more than 6 minutes out of the 1300mAh packs, but I have three of them so swapping them out isn't a big deal. I also have a couple 1500mAh packs that I could use, but I'd rather not add the extra weight if I don't need to.

Now the ACE is back in the shop so I can go over it closely to make sure everything is still solid, screws haven't backed out, servos are in securely, etc before the next flights. The weather is still good, so I'm heading back out to fly the Switchback for a while!