HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:20 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,749 Posts
Good looking covering scheme! I may have to enlist the help of my wife to help design a scheme for mine. She's good at it and I'm not....
The way you CAed the nuts in wouldn't work for me because I enlarged the holes in the plywood and the only place for the glue to grip is the flange and pins of the nut. Maybe I'm being picky but I have had nuts vibrate loose on IC powered models if they bottomed out on the motor mount before the flange was flush with the ply on the back. I also could have just drilled the holes out on the x mount for the sleeve to extend into, that would have been easier. Note to future builders, if you are using the stock motor mounting holes then Mark's way would be fine, the glue will grip the sleeve of the nut where it is pressed into the hole in the ply.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:40 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
I don't think you are being picky at all, Glenn. You need to do whatever you are comfortable doing!

Thanks, Doug. I'm sure my maiden will be similar to your flying of the ACE in CO, although in much denser air.....

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:34 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
Final Assembly

Having gotten the ACE covered, final assembly was quick and easy. As I mentioned in a prior post, the horizontal stab/elevator is locked in place by the vertical fin sliding through the fuselage, through the bottom piece of the tail, and into the horizontal stab. I did check to make sure it was square, and level. I used 5 minute epoxy to glue the tail pieces in place, and held them in place, in full contact with the fuselage bottom, to make sure they stayed that way.

The landing gear were bent up from the pattern Brian provided, and the wheels he supplied were used.

The Scorpion motor and ESC installation was absolutely painless. The Scorpion ESC is a little large, in my opinion, but I did manage to get it through the forward holes in the crutch so that it is underneath the crutch.
The prop is an APC 10x5 E.

The Dubro tail skid was also epoxied in place on the tail, as I'm setting mine up as a taildragger, at least initially.

I plan on using a PQ 3S1200 battery. Based on the CG information provided by Brian, my CG is perfect with the battery about 3/4" behind the firewall. So getting it in through the top hatch is easy enough. With the additional weight of the nosegear in the trike configuration, I'm sure the battery would have to be slid aft a bit to maintain the CG. The CG was set at the rear of the main spar, as recommended by Brian for initial flights.

Control throws at 100% are insane. I set up dual rates at 45-50% for all of the surfaces for the maiden.

I still have to put my meter on the model to double check amp draw, watts, etc., but it should be around 17 amps at WOT, based on Scorpion's charts.

Without the battery, my all up weight is 13.4 oz. With the battery, the model weighs exactly 17 oz. At 334 squares, that gives me a wing loading of 7.3 oz/sq ft, which I would think makes it very much a parkflyer.

I'm attaching my "beauty shots" of the completed ACE!

Mark
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:40 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
Mod for trike gear

Because I had not crossed the guide tube for the rudder as I ran it aft through the fuselage, and thinking that I would want to try the trike gear at some point, I went back and removed the guidetube for the nosegear that I had previously installed, and put some extensions in and a new tube to move it towards the center of the fuselage to line up with the opposite servo arm on the rudder servo. There is obviously a much greater radius that the cable is going to have to run than originally designed by Brian, but I think it will work OK. A little lubrication of the cable will probably help.

Mark
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:53 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
Aileron Setup

Because it is a fully symmetrical wing, I was not exactly sure where to set the ailerons as the neutral point. A quick email to Brian resulted in him sending me a .pdf of guides he made up when he was setting up his prototype. I think he is going to provide them in the kit, laser cut. I simply cut the guides out of some heavy bond paper I had handy, and used them to set the ailerons to neutral. This made it really, really easy to get them setup properly. Really a nice idea, and a good way to make sure that your ailerons are set to the correct neutral point.

I would guess that building the ACE, from start to finish, took me about 12-14 hours, including covering, setup, etc. I'd consider that a pretty quick build. Although the majority of that time was spent covering. Cutting and placing even small checkerboards by hand can be time consuming.

Thanks again, Brian, for the opportunity to build the ACE!

All that's left is the maiden!

Mark
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:19 AM
It's a BIG park
Killeen/Ft. Hood
Joined Apr 2007
1,088 Posts
Really looks good Mark.
I like the checkers, but I know I donít have the patience to cut out all those little squares.
Much less try to get them straight.

Ric
PrkFlyrRic is offline Find More Posts by PrkFlyrRic
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:59 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
Ric, I used to do them out of Solite, which was incredibly time consuming. I'd cut a strip, take the backing off, put it adhesive side down on a sheet of glass, then line up a ruler and a t-square, and cut each check with my hobby knife. Now, I use Solartrim. I do it similarly, but because of the paper backing, it is much easier. I can make my measurements on the paper, cut the long strip, and then use scissors to cut the individual checks. It really goes much more quickly. For what it's worth, the checks on the ACE are 3/8" square. I've found that 1/4" is the smallest check I can comfortably cut by hand. Any smaller than that and I just don't seem to be able to get a check with 90deg corners. And trust me, the checks on the ACE are not all perfect, either. But from a couple feet away, they look decent. And the stripes are Pactra Trim Tape, so that makes them pretty easy.

Mark
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:49 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,749 Posts
Looks really nice Mark. I think you will maiden yours a bit before mine is ready...

I'm going to have to give Solartrim a try. Is it thinner than the monokote trim?

I got a few things done last night while watching the progress of Tropical storm Kay. Looks like it missed us by a wide margin and they don't expect any severe weather here.
Since I'm using Elmers Carpenters glue I'm going to document the deviations from the normal CA building process.

Fuselage side subassembly:
I laminated the fuse doublers to the fuse sides with wood glue and while it was wet I inserted the crutch/F2, F3 without glue to align everything. A few clamps held the position while the crutch was removed then it was laid flat on the table and phone books piled on to clamp it while the glue dried. The aft part of the fuse sides were also glued on now while everything is nice and flat.

Next was the completion of the firewall sub assembly. Our runway is notorious for an intermittent rolling turbulence that will make a model drop like a rock onto the concrete runway. Many perfect landing approaches end in a plop landing that is tough on the landing gear. I intend to strengthen this area a bit only for that reason. As designed Iím sure it is plenty strong enough to take normal abuse.

Nose gear mount reinforcement:
I added a lite ply doubler made from scrap to the back of the firewall for the nose gear mounting block screws to bite into. This should help prevent the screws from pulling out of the firewall on one of those less than perfect landings. Iíll add a few triangle gussets to the fuse sides where the main gear receptacle is attached to spread the shock loads out to the fuse sides.

Main gear mount:
At first I couldnít figure out how all those parts made up the main gear mount. After consulting the Tyro assembly manual I realized there are two sets of receptacle parts for the main gear. Brian, did you intend to include a spare set? Are the parts supposed to be laminated to double thickness then assembled? It doesnít look like the parts will fit together if they were doubled up. Iíll use epoxy to assemble the main gear mount for the added strength.
Tonight: fuselage assembly.
Glenn
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:17 AM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Mark,

Your Ace looks great!

Looking forward to your flight report.
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:48 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
Main gear mount:
... Brian, did you intend to include a spare set? Are the parts supposed to be laminated to double thickness then assembled? It doesnít look like the parts will fit together if they were doubled up. Iíll use epoxy to assemble the main gear mount for the added strength.
Glenn,

Yes, there are 2 main landing gear mounts. You'll glue both of them into the fuselage. This lets you change from trike to taildragger any time you want.

So, don't laminate the parts. On the bottom parts of the gear mounts, make sure the part with the "slots" in it gets glued to the bottom. The bottom fuselage sheeting gets notched into those slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
Nose gear mount reinforcement:
I added a lite ply doubler made from scrap to the back of the firewall for the nose gear mounting block screws to bite into. This should help prevent the screws from pulling out of the firewall on one of those less than perfect landings. Iíll add a few triangle gussets to the fuse sides where the main gear receptacle is attached to spread the shock loads out to the fuse sides.
The 1/8" 3-ply birch firewall should be plenty strong by itself. After you install the screws for the nose gear, take them out and reinforce the threads with thin CA (unless you can't due to allergy). That'll make them plenty strong. I did a couple 1-point landings to test the strength of the firewall and it held up with no damage whatsoever.

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:53 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Mark,

Your model looks great! I can't wait to hear about the maiden. I'm sure it'll be just fine. I still get the "maiden shakes" myself, and I've been flying for a long time now.

You know, even though I love the covering scheme I picked out on mine, it's very hard to keep orientation against overcast skies. I'd love to be able to fly it against nice blue skies, but we haven't had any of those for a while now.

I am definitely going to add the aileron alignment templates to the kit, laser cut on whatever sheet they'll fit on. Thse things make it as simple as possible to get the right "neutral" setting.

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:57 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,749 Posts
Ahh ha. Optional mounting positions, Cool.
10-4 on the nose gear mount. I already glued it together but it's good to know the stock configuration can withstand some punishment and reinforcement is not necessary.
Glenn
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:07 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Brian. I know it will fly well! It was a very enjoyable build, to be sure.

Glenn, I'm not sure on how heavy Moneykote trim is. As near as I can tell, Solartrim is about the same thickness as Solarfilm (not Solite). It seems much thicker because of the paper backing, but once that's taken off, I would guess it's abot the same as Solarfilm. I'm glad Brian was able to respond to your questions. Nothing like having them answered by the singlular authority figure at MM!

Mark
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:08 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,370 Posts
The plane looks great Mark! Nice job, and thanks for showing us!

Glenn, thanks for the build as well. We enjoy seeing all the pictures and the final tweeking of the kits these beta builds bring.
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:20 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,227 Posts
You've done a killer job as usual Mark!

I haven't built a real kit since the SwitchBack Sr. beta. I'm hoping to finally have some time free and clear to bang out an "Ace" about the time Brian has it ready for market. He already knows I want kit #1.
I'm thinking this is going to be one fun little monster!

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe