HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,795 Posts
Welcome, Glen! I look forward to seeing what you do differently.

For what it's worth, I have used Titebond anyplace I need to laminate stuff, as I find even thick CA sets up too quickly to line up parts accurately, with these tired, old eyes.

I think the 400XT will be a good choice. I use one in my MM Cub on 2 cells, and it flies it with authority, to be sure. Brian has told me that he thinks the plane will fly very well on 100 watts. As I said in my first post, the Scorpion is really an insane power system for this model.

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:06 PM
what does this button do?
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Wyoming Valle, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Sep 2004
190 Posts
one word
retracts.......
mle2tie is offline Find More Posts by mle2tie
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mle2tie
one word
retracts.......
One more word...

Where??
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:13 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,795 Posts
Fuselage starts...

Having a few minutes, I started on the fuselage. Looking at the diagrams Brian sent me, and having the kit in hand, I can tell you that there are not a lot of parts to the fuse.

The heart of the fuse is the crutch, the firewall, and two formers. The center former twists in to place, and the firewall and F2 are tabbed and slotted front and back on the crutch. The doublers are added, and everything locks into place.

Four blind nuts are installed in the firewall for motor installation. The firewall also has four holes for the nosegear mount and a hole for the pushrod guidetube.

Parts fit is great, and with the ply crutch and formers, I have no doubt that it is strong.

While I was building this up, I also built up the two main landing gear mounts, as they slot into the doublers. They're a little bit fiddly, but if you have built a Tyro, you'll recognize the construction. The only significant issue is not glueing yourself to the LG mounts while holding everything in place and square..... Note to builders: I built my LG mounts incorrectly. If you look at the picture, you will see the one on the left has a cutout in the bottom pieces. One bottom piece with the cutout should be the bottom piece on each landing gear. The bottom sheeting is designed with tabs to go into the slots on the two gear.

I've decided to set mine up as a taildragger initially, as Brian's proto was set up as a trike. That way both options will be demonstrated. I'm sure, however, that I will experiment with the trike option as time goes on.

Mark
Last edited by buzzltyr; Aug 12, 2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,795 Posts
After the three formers are on the crutch, you add the two sides and the three formers aft of the crutch. The sides are made up of two pieces that are dovetailed and glued. You simply add one side to the crutch, add the rear formers to that side, and then add the second side. You can tape (or clamp) the tail together, which results in a straight fuselage. The two landing gear mounts are also inserted into the crutch at this point.

The two pictures shows the fuselage assembled up to this point. As seen here, no glue (other than the stitching together of the sides) has been used.
Once you're satisfied that everything is where it belongs and straight and square, add glue.

Parts fit for the tabs and slots on all the pieces was very good. A few swipes with 120 grit sandpaper takes care of any tabs that are tight.

Mark
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:37 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,795 Posts
Once you've got the fuselage to this point, the rest of it just falls into place.

This picture shows the bottom sheeting in place (there are three pieces), a 3/32" piece that goes into the tail, and is slotted to hold the vertical stabilizer and horizontal stabilizer when they're installed, and the guide tubes for the rudder control rod and the nosewheel steering for the trike gear.
There's even a little guide tube support for the nosewheel flex cable, all laser cut and fits perfectly. The guidetube holes in the formers all line up perfectly.

Note that with the way everything lines up for the trike gear, you are going to have to have the rudder servo on the right hand side of the fuselage. The elevator servo is mounted in the tail on the left side of the fuselage. Brian advises that if you are using a light motor setup, you might have to build the plane as a taildragger, and put both servos in the tail to get the correct CG (or add some weight to the tail). Brian has made provision for this with a cutout on the right side of the fusealge for the rudder servo, which isn't used if you are doing the trike.

Mark
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:29 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,708 Posts
I received my kit yesterday and to my horror (but not surprise) the box was smashed A quick inspection of the contents and it looks like nothing was damaged. Glad you put the peanuts in there Brian, they saved the contents.
Guys, this is one complete kit! After building a few other laser cut ‘kits’ that only include a few sheets of wood I was pleased to find what looks to be everything needed to complete the model except the covering. Included are wheels, wire for the main gear, a complete steerable nose gear assembly, and a tail skid for the taildragger configuration. Dubro EZ connectors, blind nuts for motor and wing mounting, a couple of nylon screws to hold the wing on and even the Sullivan cables and magnets to hold the hatch shut. There are some other small parts in there too that I couldn’t identify without dumping out the contents. IMHO, not having to scrounge for the bits to finish the model is priceless
I didn’t open the bag yet but I did take a couple of pics of the contents as removed from the box.
Brian, is there a full size pattern for bending the landing gear wire?

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:47 AM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,411 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the finished products. Keep the pictures coming!
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
The Evil Twin
Garden City, GA
Joined Feb 2004
1,308 Posts
Brian,
It looks like you did it again! Great work. Glad to hear that you and Doug got to hang out. Did he say hi for me like I asked him to? If not, hi.
The evil twin
Matthew Binder is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Binder
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:13 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,209 Posts
I'm really looking forward to buying an "Ace". A nice, simple, no frills hot rod. Gotta love it.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:30 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,795 Posts
Finishing up the fuselage

Having gotten to the point in the last picture, all that's left to do is the top rear sheeting (very much a no-brainer), the hatch, and the hatch's magnet support.

The hatch goes together quickly. The magnet support inside the fuselage is sort of like the landing gear mounts, only smaller! But both are easy to put together easily. My kit has two magnets, one for the hatch and one for the "latch", but it is so aggressive, that Brian thinks he might go to a "one magnet, one washer" setup.

The second picture is of the completed fuselage, hatch installed, all spackled and sanded and ready to cover.

My fuselage weighs 2.4 ounces and is nice and straight, and seems very robust. My guess is that it took me under two hours to do the entire fuselage, including removing parts from the carrier sheets, and waiting for glue to dry. And that was without any instructions. So I think this is a very quick build. The engineering is thoughtful and complete. I can't think of a single part that is unnecessary, or is any larger than it needs to be.

Glen, welcome. I hope you'll post up your progress in this thread, as well.
In conversations with Brian, he's told me that the nosegear will probably be an orderable add-on in the production kits, but he obviously supplied both you and I one in our hardware kit. And it is certainly very complete, including three wheels. For what it's worth, Brian owes me a landing gear template as well. But that's alright, as he forgot to include the LG wire in my kit, and I haven't had a chance yet to hit the lhs and pick some up. Hopefully I'll do that this week sometime.

On to the wing!

Mark
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:14 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,708 Posts
Dagnabbit Mark, you'll be done before I even get to open the bag! I won't be able to start mine for a couple more days. I have Fridays off so I'll get some serious workbench time then. Seeing what you have done so far it looks like the airframe can be built in one day even without instructions . Any idea on your covering scheme?
Glenn
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:38 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,795 Posts
Glenn, I'm working on the covering scheme. Sort of going to make it up as I go along. It is not going to be as "purty" as Brian's, but I hope it will do the plane justice. Pretty much a basic sport type scheme. Some strips, some checks, a couple of colors. It it helps, when I ordered up the motor, esc, etc. from Brian, I also ordered up a roll of transparent yellow and opaque red Solite, so those are definitely going to be the major colors.

Even using Titebond, I think you are going to be amazed at how quickly it builds (I know I was). You assemble a lot of the fuselage before you even pick up a glue bottle, although because Titebond doesn't penetrate and wick like CA, you might have to glue things up as you go along. But I know you'll be catching up with me in a few short hours!

Mark
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:53 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,708 Posts
The process is reversed from using CA. I apply glue to both surfaces then assemble. In about a minute the joint can't be seperated as the wood fibers swell and lock the joint together. It should go pretty fast without the wait for glue to dry.

Glenn
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:36 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,348 Posts
I like the light plywood crutch that goes all the way to the firewall! I like the tail feathers, they look tough as well!
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich