HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2008, 03:31 PM
Alexandria VA
Joined Jan 2007
44 Posts
Discussion
Ultimate Bipe 46 ARF by Seagull

Does anybody have this airplane????? I haven't seen anything posted. So far it's a great flying air plane. Taxiing is another story and the land gear are flimsy at best.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/SEA/250/SEA3125-250.jpg Specs

* Wingspan: 43 in (109cm)
* Overall Length: 44.8 in (113.7cm)
* Wing Area: 589 sq in (38 sq dm)
* Flying Weight: 6-7 lbs
* Engine Size: .46-.55 2-stroke, .72-.82 4-stroke
* Radio: 6 channel
* Servos: 6 standard servos

jayc73 is offline Find More Posts by jayc73
Last edited by jayc73; Aug 10, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2008, 06:21 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,140 Posts
always taxi a tail dragger with up elevator..will keep the tail down
whats wrong with the gear? perhaps you could change to an after market glass/plastic if the orginial is too soft
jetmech05 is online now Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:00 AM
Perpetual RC Newbie
Powell, OH
Joined Aug 2007
96 Posts
I have this plane... and after about 8 flights with it, I finally have it where I want it.

It took me the first flight to immediately replace the landing gear. They are WAY too soft, and the plane wants to sit bowlegged. Pics of before/after attached. I've linked the video (below) of the maiden flight. Though my landing approach wasn't the greatest in terms of flare (or lack thereof ), notice how the plane immediately noses over. Short bipes want to do this anyway, but with stiffer gear, I think she would have just bounced a bit, and I could have kept it from flipping. With the new gear, never have flipped again, and she can actually taxi now, as they are stiffer, and maybe an inch forward of the originals. Plus I ditched the wheel pants... they dug in, which made my situation a little worse.

Otherwise it took me a few flights to finally finish with nothing falling off. I have a Saito .82 in mine, and the ruddy sheet-metal screws just aren't enough to keep the engine mounted. Three flights in, and I had shaken one bolt head clean off, and loosened one other. Engine was rattling freely... so I replaced those with larger bolts and nylock nuts. Shoulda done this to begin with.

So after a few more flights, I finally got the engine dialed in where I want it, and have found a sweet spot with a 13x8 APC prop on it. It gives good vertical performance, but not unlimited. Still very very fun now that it's dialed in, and gets complimented on it's performance.

I also felt like the elevator throws on low rates not to be quite enough, so I increased both low and high by about 15-20%. Much better on low rates with this, and doesn't affect landing performance. Otherwise all rates seemed good, as did their recommended CG.

Fun plane, and glad I have it... goes with me every week to the field.

Here is my (pretty terrible) video:

Ultimate Biplane 46 Maiden Flight (1 min 40 sec) (1 min 40 sec)

Cheers!
Shazbot996 is offline Find More Posts by Shazbot996
Old Aug 11, 2008, 03:48 PM
Alexandria VA
Joined Jan 2007
44 Posts
Thanks for the replies... I replaced the engine mount with a medium great planes. The original engine mount screws are awful. The screw head started to strip before I had them in position so I decided to back them out. THEY BROKE IN HALF when I tried to back them out. I have an 82 in mine also, I love the way it flies.
jayc73 is offline Find More Posts by jayc73
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:51 AM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Cg

What CG works best? In the manual it says 10 to 13 cm which is 4 to 5 INCHES Back from the leading edge of the top wing....is this correct??
I am assembling the plane now and am going to us an old OS 61 sf 2 stroke with pits muffler and would like to know the best CG. good info on the landing gear. I'll change the landing gear .
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:43 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc73
Does anybody have this airplane????? I haven't seen anything posted. So far it's a great flying air plane. Taxiing is another story and the land gear are flimsy at best.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/SEA/250/SEA3125-250.jpg Specs
That link shows "The page cannot be displayed".
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:02 PM
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Go to Horizonhobby.com and look up Ultimate 46
Old Aug 24, 2008, 08:37 AM
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Maidened my Ultimate. Went pretty well. I changed out the landing gear and am glad i did. The recommended CG in the plans 10 -13 cm did not work out for me. 10 cm is about 4 inches back and 13 is about 5 inches. When flying it at about 4 1/4 t6 1/2 back from the leading edge of the top wing the bipe would snap out of loops rather easily and not track the loops very well as it would corkscrew out of them. I did laterally balance the plane also before the first flight. I moved the CG forward to about 3 3/4 inches and it is much better. I wish the wings had abit wider cord as they look abit small to me.
Loops are not as tight as I would like but better at lower speeds. I did up the elevator travel abit. You really have to fly her to the landing,,no coasting here,,must be under power.
1st flight was ok but rather dissapointing
2nd flight with different CG was much improved
3 4 5th flights no change to aircraft but begining to get the hang of it.
Knife edge tends to pull twards canopy. May add more down thrust or realign the airlerons slightly or both. I still feel the wing needs abit more cord.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:21 PM
Chicago
Joined Jul 2004
170 Posts
I bought this sweet looking plane last week after I busted up my World Models Ultimate 40 Bipe. I want to use my OS 46 AX from the wreck but it was mounted inverted with an inverted pitts muffler and I don't have the original muffler. The Seagull model has the firewall blindnuts set up for a side mount, which is how I see everyone else has mounted it so I want to stick with that.

Since I need to find a new muffler for side-mounting, I wonder if this Slimline will fit in the cowl or if I would need to totally butcher it (which I really don't want to do).

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=8&I=LXTEB7

I also wonder if the motor would overheat if I don't carve up the bottom of the cowl a bit (like the instructions show for the stock muffler). Can anyone comment?
huck328 is offline Find More Posts by huck328
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:47 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck328
I bought this sweet looking plane last week after I busted up my World Models Ultimate 40 Bipe. I want to use my OS 46 AX from the wreck but it was mounted inverted with an inverted pitts muffler and I don't have the original muffler. The Seagull model has the firewall blindnuts set up for a side mount, which is how I see everyone else has mounted it so I want to stick with that.

Since I need to find a new muffler for side-mounting, I wonder if this Slimline will fit in the cowl or if I would need to totally butcher it (which I really don't want to do).

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&P=8&I=LXTEB7

I also wonder if the motor would overheat if I don't carve up the bottom of the cowl a bit (like the instructions show for the stock muffler). Can anyone comment?
Only thing you need to worry about is a place for the air to exit the cowl, or it may over heat. I've read to put 3x the exit hole as the input hole size for the air, this way there is constant airflow over the engine.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae