HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2001, 06:14 PM
Newport News, VA USA
Joined May 2001
155 Posts
Hobby Shops in Richmond, VA?

I've noticed some posts from Virginia flyers in the past, so.....
are there any interesting hobby shops in Richmond? I'd be interested in e stuff, or unusual kits of e planes or sailplanes?

thanks.

Sotos is offline Find More Posts by Sotos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2001, 10:13 PM
Richmond/Wmbg Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Mar 2001
157 Posts
There are three shops in the area.

The best one is Hobby Corner!!! on Hull street near the Chippenham parkway. The lady who runs it is named Yvonne and she has some electric stuff and getting more everyday. She can order just about anything and have it within 4 to 5 days at the most.

I find that with most LHS her prices are a little higher than mailorder but she is competitive when figuring shipping and handling.

There is also K and W on Nine mile road out near the airport. They have lots of ic stuff in stock and he also has an indoor car track.

There is one other store on Patterson ave just west of Parham rd. Can't remember the name of the store but he also has some plane stuff.

Hobby Corner seems to have about the most eflight stuff. Tell her John from the Oilville club sent you in.

Hope this helps!

John
Johnfish is offline Find More Posts by Johnfish
Old Jun 05, 2001, 04:44 AM
Newport News, VA USA
Joined May 2001
155 Posts
Helps a lot!

Thanks.
Old Jun 05, 2001, 06:04 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
If you are in Newport News, you should go down to Debbie's RC World in Virginia Beach. An absolute ton of electric stuff and everything else. Best LHS I have seen in a while. The guy that runs is named Les, and he will match prices on any mailorder stuff.

cheers,
Tim
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Jun 05, 2001, 08:11 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
I'll toss in my 2c on Hobby Corner. I lived in Charlottesville in the mid 80's, and used to enjoy going to HC (I was mostly into electric cars at the time). I don't know if they've moved since then, or are under new management, but they were pretty good back then.

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jun 05, 2001, 05:00 PM
Newport News, VA USA
Joined May 2001
155 Posts
Mr Mootsie....

I agree with all that you say about Debbies. First class operation. I know Les, he sold me my first RC plane a few years ago. I don't get over to Va Beach as often as I'd like. I asked about Richmond as I happen to be going there anyway and just thought I might mix in a bit of pleasure with the trip.
Whereabouts do you fly around here? I usually fly at the HRRC field in Suffolk. And will you be going to Debbie's/TRC's E Fly In in a couple of weeks?

Tim: thanks for the endorsment of Hobby Corner. I'm going up tomorrow and plan on stopping in.

I really don't "need" to be buying anything right now as I already have my next half dozen projects already purchased, but things you buy out of town don't count, right??
Old Jun 05, 2001, 05:03 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
I typically fly at the Wildhorse site because it is close to me in Chesapeake. Once in awhile I go to Fentress to fly, it is better for electrics, especially sailplanes. I will be flying my Xenath and Rascal at the E fly in.

take care,
Tim
Old Jun 05, 2001, 10:37 PM
Richmond/Wmbg Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Mar 2001
157 Posts
MrMootsie

Could you give me some details on the flyin?

When and where?

Thanks

John
Johnfish is offline Find More Posts by Johnfish
Old Jun 06, 2001, 05:47 AM
Newport News, VA USA
Joined May 2001
155 Posts
The following is copied from Ken Meyers' site. (Please don't arrest me)
It is a first time event, so who knows about turnout. I asked Les Modlin from Debbies about it several weeks ago, and he said that at that time, they did have indications that 10 or 12 e pilots from some distance away had committed to attending. Let me know if any of you E-Zoners will attend and we should at least say hi. Oh yeah, I asked Les about it being called a fun Fly and not a Fly In and he said it will be very laid back and all about fun as in, "here we all are, do you want some fun fly type events or not".

June 16 & 17 All-Electric Fun Fly at Fentress Navy Airfield in Tidewater, VA. The field is only 1/2 hour drive from Virginia Beach. contact: Brad Tennant Btenn_10@aol.com

For up to minute details on the "e-vent" people can call Debbie's RC World 757-340-6681 as they are the hosting business, and have organized other RC meets at Fentress Navy Airfield in the past. We hope we can make this a good fun-fly type gathering, and added bonus: visitors can get rooms at the Virginia Beach oceanfront resort area and it's only about 20 minutes to the site in Chesapeake or 10 minutes to our local schoolyard for e-flying only. Some local crazies also fly foamie slopers off the dunes on the ocean or Ches. Bay when the wind is up.

Old Jun 06, 2001, 02:03 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
What he said!

Also, here is the URL for the club's website.
http://www.flytrc.homestead.com/home.html

It should be good, if the weather holds.

cheers,
Tim Jonas
Old Aug 15, 2010, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1 Posts
i see you are in oilvile i live in rockville and looking for help in flying helis can you help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfish View Post
There are three shops in the area.

The best one is Hobby Corner!!! on Hull street near the Chippenham parkway. The lady who runs it is named Yvonne and she has some electric stuff and getting more everyday. She can order just about anything and have it within 4 to 5 days at the most.

I find that with most LHS her prices are a little higher than mailorder but she is competitive when figuring shipping and handling.

There is also K and W on Nine mile road out near the airport. They have lots of ic stuff in stock and he also has an indoor car track.

There is one other store on Patterson ave just west of Parham rd. Can't remember the name of the store but he also has some plane stuff.

Hobby Corner seems to have about the most eflight stuff. Tell her John from the Oilville club sent you in.

Hope this helps!

John
billyd57 is offline Find More Posts by billyd57