thomasscherrer is offline Find More Posts by thomasscherrer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:45 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
Thanks again J. I appreciate it. I'm no longer confused.

I think I will just start with a basic setup from rangevideo.com. Then when I get used to flying FPV, I will buy Thomas' LRS.
Another option is that I could sell you a Thomas LRS system ready to plug right in to your DX7, along with the video equipment ready-to-fly, or maybe we could call it "readymade".

Note that the one Thomas LRS system I have left has a "last generation" TX (i.e., no power selection button). I can probably give a small discount since I'm SURE Thomas will give me a good deal on the next batch of systems I need to buy.
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:56 PM
spain
Joined Jun 2007
30 Posts
Just comment i've just installed the 433 in my plane; yesterday i did more than 7 km without any booster nor new antenna
LUIS68 is offline Find More Posts by LUIS68
Old Jul 14, 2009, 04:57 PM
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Ballerup
Joined May 2007
3,207 Posts
yes, pibb lets talk in private about this discount,
and then you can deside to let this discount shine on to your customer,
so it will be a win win situation for all involved, I am always happy to deal with you
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:11 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
mr pibb is amazing, I ordered an easy glider pan&tilt a few months ago and a an easy star motor mount last week, both came within 3 business days to idaho.
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:02 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,475 Posts
I second that\Mr. Pibb follows through and delivers as promissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_patso
mr pibb is amazing, I ordered an easy glider pan&tilt a few months ago and a an easy star motor mount last week, both came within 3 business days to idaho.
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 15, 2009, 05:14 AM
Joined May 2007
3,207 Posts
FUTABA users be warned !
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079459
also please see my post #19 in that thread,
I still have no idea what caused this, I have seen a pictures of his futaba,
it is tiny SOT23 diodes that got fried,
if this is correct and some futaba units deliver power to the student
connector via such tiny diodes, I do not recommend you power your LRS using this connector !
I dont own a futaba, I dont know the exact type that caused this problem,
I will be happy if LRS users double check for correct pin used and no hot diodes
in their futaba !
also with the new 1W and even 2W TX box, you can imagine the current usage is much higher, so this is a potential problem..
I suggest adding much larger diodes, or maybe a direct wire from the power switch
to the V+ switched, will also solve this.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:23 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,475 Posts
what about the spectrum and jr units?
the dx6i and 9303 both turn on automatically when plugged into the trainer port plug?
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:40 AM
Maximum Attack
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Lystrup
Joined Jun 2008
1 Posts
Hi! Just got the Long range set from Thomas yesterday. And iīm impressed by the service that Thomas delivers. Extremely fast (almost scary) on email replies, and also fast on delivery.
I mounted the tx on my Spektrum DX7 radio, and only needed to buy a spare mono 3.5mm minijack and a spare charger cable. Easy to assemble and solder, even for me

I have only one question left; How do I mount the antennas on the rx ? I know that they have to be 90 degrees apart. But what about the cables that are soldered onto the antenna ? I cannot find a good way to mount them on my Easystar, so it isnīt flimsy.
vpdel is offline Find More Posts by vpdel
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:19 AM
Joined May 2007
3,207 Posts
I have seen several easystars with my system on it,
often is one antenna taped to the faselage or a wing,
while the other is standing straight up, people use the stiff plastig tube to hold the wire straight up, the ground wire is placed a little bit away from the coas
almost like on the antenna explain page
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:47 AM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb
Another option is that I could sell you a Thomas LRS system ready to plug right in to your DX7, along with the video equipment ready-to-fly, or maybe we could call it "readymade".

Note that the one Thomas LRS system I have left has a "last generation" TX (i.e., no power selection button). I can probably give a small discount since I'm SURE Thomas will give me a good deal on the next batch of systems I need to buy.
Well right now I don't have enough money to buy both Thomas' LRS system and all the video equipment. I'm trying to save up for all of it, and hope to have enough in a few months. But right now I am about $600 short.

But say if I were to buy that combo from you plus Thomas' 7W booster, would I get an extreme amount of range, or would I have to upgrade the antennas on the 900mhz 500w video equipment first?

Thanks.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:02 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
Well right now I don't have enough money to buy both Thomas' LRS system and all the video equipment. I'm trying to save up for all of it, and hope to have enough in a few months. But right now I am about $600 short.

But say if I were to buy that combo from you plus Thomas' 7W booster, would I get an extreme amount of range, or would I have to upgrade the antennas on the 900mhz 500w video equipment first?

Thanks.
Your RC range would be great, obviously.

Video range would be decent, but you could buy extra stuff later to increase your range. In other words, you'd have a rock solid RC link and you video would be the limiting factor. As time goes on, and the inevitable urge to improve you system comes on, you can purchase better 900MHz antennas and also improve the video quality by getting an Oracle video diversity setup and another video receiver. To some extent you can do this stuff a little at a time, but it's always good to use good equipment and don't go cheap witih the electronics.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasscherrer
I have seen several easystars with my system on it,
often is one antenna taped to the faselage or a wing,
while the other is standing straight up, people use the stiff plastig tube to hold the wire straight up, the ground wire is placed a little bit away from the coas
almost like on the antenna explain page
Thomas,

How much difference in sensitivity could be expected between separating the ground wire and running it along the coax?

Tim
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:00 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
I would have never done this without Thomas' system you need to be 100% confident in your RC link when you're flying within 10 feet of a full scale aircraft lol

all of this flown from the comfort of my living room

Foam FPV easystar VS Full scale Cessna 150 dogfight (3 min 38 sec)
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Jul 15, 2009, 09:16 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb
Your RC range would be great, obviously.

Video range would be decent, but you could buy extra stuff later to increase your range. In other words, you'd have a rock solid RC link and you video would be the limiting factor. As time goes on, and the inevitable urge to improve you system comes on, you can purchase better 900MHz antennas and also improve the video quality by getting an Oracle video diversity setup and another video receiver. To some extent you can do this stuff a little at a time, but it's always good to use good equipment and don't go cheap witih the electronics.
Thanks for the reply Mr.Pibb.

Without the upgraded antennas for the video gear, how far would you think the range would be? Would Thomas' 7W booster even be appropriate without upgraded antennas? I would really like at least 1-2 miles range.

Thanks.... Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer