Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 07, 2008, 06:43 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Build Log
Introducing..."ORB" AP ship with break down fuse.

Hi all... I have always been fond of getting thrust/power from large props. As we know, the AP planes we deal with will only allow certain (relatively small) diameters to be used because they get in the way of either the camera lens or in the pusher config they hit the rear fuse. This means we are fixed at higher rpms/pitch speeds to get the thrust.

With this project I hope can solve two things. Great tractor pulling thrust at low RPM and the ability to take without question any SLR or video camera I choose and fly/land at an extremely slow speed. The plane is built around the new AXI (of course) 2820-14 swinging a 14-7 prop It is a brute. The rear fuse consists of two 3/8 x 48" carbon tubes glued together. This allows the tubes to be oriented in the main fuse socket with the aid of a ply servo carrier structure. It is held in by a single carbon pin. (see pics). The main fuse is 2" beaded foam with 3 mm Depron sheeting. Once again It has ply in areas that need strength. The fuse is incredibly stiff/strong as the 2" does not have any cutouts and once sheeted with the Depron it is very sound.

I twisted the rules a bit on this one but what fun . I do have pics that document the entire build. I will post them after I find out how/if it flys. I plan to maiden on the first nice day so we will know soon. Meanwhile here is my setup....comments???

MAIDEN VIDEO!!! http://www.mvqf.com/power/Beast/The%20ORB.wmv

PLANS ARE READY!!!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=139

The plans are free, if you have success with the build and feel they are worth it. a $5.00 Donation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PayPal DONATION

Wingspan 80"
length 70"
Wing area 1200 sq in
AXI 2820-14
prop APC 14-7E
ESC PH-45
3s 2500
AUW with my A640 and a 3s 2100 pack (I need to buy the 2500) 68 oz

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Last edited by power; Apr 25, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2008, 06:47 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Very neat platform.... good work
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Aug 07, 2008, 06:50 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
Very good work! Does the ESC get warm with that size prop?
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Aug 07, 2008, 06:54 PM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
"ORB" AP ship

WOW, holy HOLE's!!!! That's nice!!! So, any video or plans?
blindflight is offline Find More Posts by blindflight
Old Aug 07, 2008, 07:05 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Feb 2008
1,009 Posts
Wow, That is so cool. I want one of those. What is the wing made off and the body of the plane.

It looks like an easy build. I am very interested in making one.

So cool.
skullcrusher49 is offline Find More Posts by skullcrusher49
Old Aug 07, 2008, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,467 Posts
You know, I just downloaded Pacman for my Blackberry. Now Mike is flying one. Paint it yellow and there you go.
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Aug 07, 2008, 08:11 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
Cool looking design. Just wondering what kind of turbulence issues you are going to get blowing across the horz and vert stabs due to the square shape of the fuselage downstream of the prop.
birdman11787 is offline Find More Posts by birdman11787
Old Aug 07, 2008, 08:32 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Zirt
I thought the same thing when I first saw it.... Now I can't get that pacman tune out of my head! LOL

VERY interesting design Mike!! Can't wait to see/hear more on this one... Your designs just keep getting better and better! A slow flying AP platform that now breaks WAY down??? Where do you keep coming up w/these ideas!!!
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Aug 07, 2008, 09:17 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
Very good work! Does the ESC get warm with that size prop?

The motor pulls about 37 amps with this prop at WOT the ESC is rated at 45 and it is in the open so it stays very happy

blindflight, I do have plans but I will wait until the maiden before I post anything. I will have a camera man on site... good or bad it will be on video

Mike
Old Aug 07, 2008, 09:42 PM
New Ulm,MN,USA
Joined Nov 2007
452 Posts
WOW, that is really radical Mike. You have the knack for design for sure. Looking forward to what comes from it.

Heading out Aug 11th for week along Lake Superior and taking along LARS for a
hopefully wind free week. Or else it will just be in the way. Wish me luck.
BTW, my Kodak V1253 just came back from the factory repair shop, New CCD
and lens assembly. Works great now. Hopefully it will keep on working great to.

Jim
JimKallinen is offline Find More Posts by JimKallinen
Old Aug 07, 2008, 10:08 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Real Crazy man .......
You got the idea while having coffee and doughnuts....right after you took a small bite.... .......might have vibe issues with the motor/cam relationship
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Aug 07, 2008, 10:55 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,467 Posts
I hope you aren't offended Mike. Pacman is the first thing that came to mind when I saw it. As I said I had just put pacman on my blackberry (really, I did, just two days ago) so maybe that's why I thought it looks like that.

I'm actually very interested to see how it flies. So is it a pusher or a tractor? And the idea of it breaking down for transport. Hmmmm, interesting, I've got a couple of 3/8th carbon rods sitting right here. I wonder what a "Solution" would fly like with a tail such as this... Maybe my next build.
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Aug 07, 2008, 11:59 PM
Electronic juggler
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
Mike, extremely nice looking fuse! Is the wing the same as in the Solution, looks like it? I was pondering arrow shaft tail earlier with the Solution because I just finished an Allegro Lite two months ago and the removable (via one screw) horizontal tail sure makes for an easily transportable fuse. See http://charlesriverrc.org/articles/a...egrolite2m.htm for details.

-Jussi
jsirkia is offline Find More Posts by jsirkia
Old Aug 08, 2008, 01:40 AM
Happy landings
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jul 2007
670 Posts
Cool! But Mike.. I have to build this one as well. It is a curse!!

I have a suitable Turnigy motor lying around with a 60A ESC and a 14x7 prop.
paulrene is offline Find More Posts by paulrene
Old Aug 08, 2008, 09:20 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Paul, you will be the first to get plans if it flys well

-Jussi, The wing is a lot larger than the Solution in both coed and span. I took the 2" beaded foam sheet to the maximum

zirt57, LOL it does look like Pac man! Hmmmm...yellow isn't a bad color

SOP, The idea actually came from playing in the front yard with my step daughter we were playing with one of those Ginormous cloth covered Frisbee thingys and she threw it vertical. I saw something.... BTW the Frisbee is 24" in diameter and so is the ORB.

As far as the vibe thing goes it might be an issue but the fuse on this thing is huge and it dampens very well. Honestly...I have yet to have a vibe issue with the AXI motors and a well balanced prop. We will see what happens. Folks the pics do not show just how big this thing is. It is quite large. I am hoping to stuff it in my Passat.

Here are a few pics of the foil and core schuck to show the size difference between the Solution....

Mike