Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: Multiplex Park Master 3D or RC-Factory Flash?
Multiplex Park Master 3D 24 64.86%
RC-Factory Flash 10 27.03%
Other 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 07, 2008, 02:55 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
615 Posts
Poll
Parkmaster 3D vs Flash

Sorry, I realise this kind of question has been done to death, but I'm having real hard time deciding between these two. They both appear to be exellent models with the flash cost a little bit extra. I can get the PM3D for ~£55 online (~around £65 inc pnp), but I may as well pay £69 and get it from my LHS where I can go and have a personal look at it before or I buy. Or, there is the flash which is £70 before postage is even added.

Is there a huge difference between them in terms of flight characteristics, strength, robustness, build quality etc?

Thanks!
Plane Hazza is offline Find More Posts by Plane Hazza
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2008, 05:02 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Feb 2007
152 Posts
I own 3 Flashes and cannot recommend them enough (1 old battered one which I lend to friends fly, one is my regular Flash and one is my highly modified superlight Flash.)

I plan on buying the PM3D very soon as I'm intrigue to find out how good it is, and from what I've read/seen I think it'll be every bit as good.

A few more points you might want to consider:

1. The PM3D is a bigger plane than the Flash, with about 25% more wing area and 25% heavier.

2. Elapor foam looks a whole lot nicer than EPP! (I really hate the porous EPP look).

3. If you don't like the PM3D stickers you have the option of doing your own paint job (minus or bonus depends on your view point)

4. If you plan to build really light (for super slow flying), there is alot of scope to lighten the Flash, but from what I've seen there isn't much scope to lighten the PM3D.

5. If you plan to use the same power setup for either plane then the Flash will give you much higher power to weight ratio. (ie the PM3D will need a bigger motor / battery to match the Flash on power/weight.)

6. The PM3D landing gear looks like a weak point so will prob need modifying (if you plan on using LG)

I think the PM3D will have a larger speed range due to the smoother surface and rounded corners. (The Flash has alot of square edges and I think the rough foam surface must generate alot of drag..)

It would be great if someone who already have both can comment on the flying characterics of both..
EricP is offline Find More Posts by EricP
Old Aug 07, 2008, 08:28 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Well, I have flown a PM (finally ) and it flies excellently. The landing gear may look weak, but I planted it a bit hard after a tight and low loop, and it took it with zero damage.

It does have a good speed range, but for the most part, it is a nice slow 3D plane, that does 3D very very well.

I flew it on the stock setup, and hovering around is done at around 1/2 throttle. Full throttle climbs are pretty strong with the 2816 motor.

I watched one fly in a small gymn, and it did really well. Had a lighter 800 mah 25C lipo on it, but it did really well. Flew as if the walls weren't there (but hey, the pilot did have experience ).
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 08, 2008, 05:02 AM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
615 Posts
Thanks for the responses lads!

Although I've realised that the Flash is the better model (marginally from what I've read), already £70 is more than what I'm wanting to spend. I'm still leaning towards the parkmaster, simply because my LHS stocks them and I can go 'play' before I buy
Plane Hazza is offline Find More Posts by Plane Hazza
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:16 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
I own a Flash and it's an excellent "smooth" 3D plane (hard to get good tumbles and twisties, but it can be done). I've only flown one PM, and it was owned and set up by someone else in ways I would not have done. Even so, and using an unfamiliar transmitter, it flew better. Broader range and smoother control.

Probably get one if my Flash ever dies. Which is unlikely.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,098 Posts
Et tu, Dave? I have only flown a Parkmaster once briefly and thought it was great but didn't feel it was dramatically better than the Flash. However, two of the Flash enthusiasts at our field have mothballed their Flashes and put the equipment in Parkmasters, so they seem to prefer it.

For myself, my new favorite is the RC Factory Yak 54. All the smoothness and precision of the Flash plus much tighter flipping and tumbling characteristics. Also, so easy to harrier that it's almost criminal.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Nov 18, 2008, 01:02 PM
Sam Adams Fan
USA, PA, Honesdale
Joined May 2008
517 Posts
oops
DG40 is offline Find More Posts by DG40
Old Nov 18, 2008, 01:32 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,438 Posts
I have both planes and really enjoy them. If I was told I could only have one though, it would be the Parkmaster. It simply is a better all around flyer, although not by a huge margin. I have 300+ flights on my flash (it just won’t die) and well over a 100 now on my Parkmaster so I have a good feel for both of them. The Parkmaster flies slow exceptionally well and is very stable. But is also more nimble then the flash, faster to roll and pitch. Its shorter fuse means it can do end over end maneuvers better, such as knife edge spins, waterfalls, etc. And finally it has a much broader speed range, going from slow high alpha maneuvers to fast pattern type passes. Btw, the Parkmaster does the best point rolls of any foamy I have flown.

Now if you’re a beginning 3D flyer, I still recommend the Flash. The epp foam is so repairable that you can crash over and over and always repair it. The Elepor foam of the PM is very durable and repairable (I have tested this), but slightly less so then EPP. Also the larger speed range of the PM means faster crashes and more damage if you’re not quick to get off the throttle which many beginners are not.

Check out my Parkmaster review for more of my thoughts on it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=79699

Matt
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:58 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Hazza
Sorry, I realise this kind of question has been done to death, but I'm having real hard time deciding between these two. They both appear to be exellent models with the flash cost a little bit extra. I can get the PM3D for ~£55 online (~around £65 inc pnp), but I may as well pay £69 and get it from my LHS where I can go and have a personal look at it before or I buy. Or, there is the flash which is £70 before postage is even added.

Is there a huge difference between them in terms of flight characteristics, strength, robustness, build quality etc?

Thanks!
The Flash is only £49 here in the UK http://alebproducts.com/products.php?cat=31

Why suffer all those horrible moulding marks on the PM3D

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 18, 2008, 03:32 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart
It is kind of ugly, ain't it? But it's shipped white, so at least you can pick your own color scheme... that's a bonus in my book.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old Nov 18, 2008, 03:35 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis
It is kind of ugly, ain't it? But it's shipped white, so at least you can pick your own color scheme... that's a bonus in my book.

Dave
Yes, but it means you have to paint it or use those horrible stickers and its not cheap. At least the Flash is already painted.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:52 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart

Mike
They make sandpaper for that if you care so.

Here is a vid which tells me what to buy next :

http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/vdV...arkmaster2.wmv
MICKEL is online now Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:10 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,098 Posts
Mickel:

What a wild video! Who is that guy, and what is the deal with the variable thrust? Is is linked to rudder the whole time, or is it on a switch, or what? Please, we need more information.

Neil
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:17 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,345 Posts
Its me. OOOOOkay, its

my man Derk Van Der Vecht. One of the best pilots in the world IMHO!

Swing Nose PM3d. 9303; switches everywhere, so it's easily done.

Lance, just wait its worth it! (Dial it up asap! )
MICKEL is online now Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:23 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,098 Posts
LOL. I thought I recognized Derk (and the setting looked familiar, too.) I agree completely about Derk -- one of the best, no doubt about it.

Neil