HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2008, 09:57 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
Discussion
ESC Capacitor Help

With my battery moved to the nose of my A-4 I need a 25" lead..

I have a CC 110HV

I got the info that I need to add a Capacitor for every 4" over 12" so to round off I need three capacitors

I called castel creation today and they said I need three 180 mfd 50v caps.
Or I could multiply 180 times 3 = 540 mfd and add one large cap

heres my problem I went to a huge electrical supply house and they don't have 180 mfd 50v cap.. they siad most are 100, 220 and on up

They had a 470 mfd 50v (pretty close to 540 mfd ) will this work?
I have no clue about caps.. anybody good with this stuff ... I'm going to email CC but that could take awhile

Also here is a pick of the cap which side is neg. and pos. ? I know I need to bridge the pos. to the neg.. but which way does this thing go?
there is an arrow on the white strip and an O what in the world does this mean?

also there are differnet caps .. the electrolytic caps looks to me like the ones on the ESC .. any one know?

These EDF's are really making me nerdy.. I'm mean I was staring at capaitors for 30 minutes.. now if I can just make a flux capacitor I'd get back to the future

thanks
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Last edited by Ron101; Aug 07, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2008, 10:17 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,833 Posts
Ron thats a great question that I always wondered about also. They really should include this kind of stuff in the destructions for the esc's. Like something noting basically what you were told. They should also make them available through the manufacturer.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Aug 06, 2008, 10:29 PM
The need for speed
Perth Western Australia
Joined Apr 2005
332 Posts
Dont waste your time it wont help one bit. If you want to play it safe get rid of the castle creations ESC.
Brett_Warwick is offline Find More Posts by Brett_Warwick
Old Aug 06, 2008, 10:35 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,706 Posts
Hi Ron,
yep, the 470mf should work.
yep, you need the electrolytic caps

Your pictures a little fuzzy but I think I can make out a stripe on the side with a minus sign. The arrow points to the negative lead. Here's a pic of a cap showing the same thing. Some caps have both leads coming out the same end. In that case the lead thats closest to the racing stripe is the negative one.

Looks like in your pic the negative lead is on the left and in mine it's on the right.

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Old Aug 06, 2008, 10:41 PM
Joined Jun 2002
855 Posts
Hi Ron -
Well, let me get you started;That symbol facing the camera is a minus sign.

Yeah, it looks like an egg, but it's a minus sign. It should be lined up with one of the leads. That would be the negative, Ground, black lead. If it's an axial lead capacitor, and it looks like it is, the arrow points at the negative lead.

Get the polarity wrong and the capacitor will 'Blow' and be ruined.

Capacitors, like resisters, come in certain standard sizes. Get the values in the ballpark, and you will be good as gold.

Ron

Dan! You beat me to it - I am just a two fingered typist
Ron Pogue is offline Find More Posts by Ron Pogue
Old Aug 06, 2008, 10:45 PM
Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
199 Posts
I have about 3 feet of extension...2 330mf capacitors...twist the 2 positive and 2 neg leads together. then tap into your extension (not esc) and solder the pos to red and neg to black...make sure they don't touch using electrical tape. worked fine for me on my Fly Fly Raptor which is presently disabled waiting for a new fan and motor combo. Probably a winter project at this point. There electrolitic caps with a stripe down one side with neg symbols, the other of course is pos...an arrow usualy indicates current flow direction like in diodes. hope this helps

Ron
Flatspin is offline Find More Posts by Flatspin
Old Aug 06, 2008, 11:15 PM
The need for speed
Perth Western Australia
Joined Apr 2005
332 Posts
To all that have responded so far .Id like to ask what effect do you think its going to have apart from adding weight.

By the way if you are going to install caps why not make them at least low ESR types after all i guess its the ripple current your all worried about.
Old Aug 06, 2008, 11:28 PM
Joined Jun 2002
855 Posts
I add caps coz I like the color.
Ron Pogue is offline Find More Posts by Ron Pogue
Old Aug 06, 2008, 11:59 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
Thanks so much guys..
No I get it.. it's a funny lookin negitive sign
Cool.. I set it up tomorrow

Brent,
I love all my Castel ESC.. guess we all use what works for us
and I'm adding caps because Castel tell you on leads over 12"

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 07, 2008, 12:24 AM
The need for speed
Perth Western Australia
Joined Apr 2005
332 Posts
Im a little bias because i recently tested the CC bec for load performace at my work..
I was shocked at what i saw, there spec claims are ridiculous and i refused to use it in my plane.

Then in a seperate incident a friend of mine's CC110HV caught fire destroying his Yellow aircraft F16.

After doing a bit of reasearch i found other quality issues with CC

As an Electronic design engineer i always look past the flashy covering.
Old Aug 07, 2008, 01:28 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
i guess im down the middle! lol having used tons of them and at the same tie frying some of them, I know its not the best part one can use, but long as I consider its not safe to operate it past 90% or so of what they say is nominal, I get by. Kontronik is a much better ESC, and has been SHV for a while now!, but it is big and heavy. So I just try to stay safe when I use CC in high power apps and dont over abuse it and get the additional safety from sticking it on the fan stream everytime.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Aug 07, 2008, 01:52 AM
Braunton, North Devon, England
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin
Ron thats a great question that I always wondered about also. They really should include this kind of stuff in the destructions for the esc's. Like something noting basically what you were told. They should also make them available through the manufacturer.
Schulze provide details on their website:

http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.com/index_uk.htm

click on 6 - Important Tips in the sidebar and click on the further links to see pictures and fitting instructions.

They sell the caps too and I bought some to fit to my Kontronik Beat 55A esc which was supplied without them. No doubt after receiving many escs back for repair due to long lead burnout (mine among them) Kontronik must have learned the lesson that all other reputable esc makers had learned before them, and subsequently all Kontronik escs, eg Jazz, have come fitted with capacitors.

As Brett said, low ESR ones are needed.

Ref the CC110HV, I did buy one for use on 12S. It's not in use yet, but do I take it that I'd be better limiting it to, say 10S?

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Aug 07, 2008, 02:18 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
12 is ok but for me I just dont go over 105, and i mean peak peak. for even lotta peak
I dont like over 100 and prefer high 90's for nominal.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Aug 07, 2008, 03:35 AM
Deutschland, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Dec 2001
859 Posts
That is really interesting with the CC....I go for 12S90A on my CC110 so it is ok!

I get this in a few days.
http://www.yge.de/artikel.php?search=ygecap&more=yes

Martin
MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö
Old Aug 07, 2008, 04:57 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
why do we want to reduce line inductance in the power leads when they are longer than 12"?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged