HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2003, 06:43 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
Ascent or Just Right?

Very similar specs; but quite a diffrence in price.

Of course there is a bit of an issue with the Ascent posibly being over propped; or is it just an LMR?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2003, 03:19 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
Or, other recommedations for an electric sailpane that uses Zagi packs?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Feb 04, 2003, 06:22 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
look in parkfliers re: ascent prop...maybe a 6 x 3 is the way to go.
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old Feb 06, 2003, 07:07 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Ascent - intended use

Been following a couple of threads on the Ascent glider. I just took delivery of one today and will probably not get to assembling it until next week.

I think the operative word in the name of this plane is Ascent "GLIDER." The plane/motor/prop combo is intended for motor use to be a climb to altitude, shut down motor for thermal searching (and cooling) and then another burst of motor when required to climb back to altitude. That's why the suggestion of an ESC with brake... to lock the prop in folded position during the soaring portion of the flight.

I'm sure if one runs the motor at full bore for 8 mins., or whatever is possible, that both the motor and battery will get quite hot.

I suspect that it actually will benefit from a gear box and a larger folding prop to climb out with more authority.

sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Feb 06, 2003, 07:40 PM
Orlando Fl
Joined Jan 2002
1,900 Posts
sierra-gold, I think you are right about the geared option, mine takes 5 min to get to altitude so it is pretty hot by then.
BTW after a bad launch( dumb stunt) the battery was shoved to the front of the fuselage(forward CG) it seemed to climb and glige better.
Chuck
Chuck McHugh is offline Find More Posts by Chuck McHugh