HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2008, 10:48 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
It won't hurt to leave the Panther the same. You might make a footnote about it on the plans and the builder can change it easily if he desires. It's actually less work as conventional too.
Don't take those hot glue birds to SEFF. I have major heat damage to my 120% F-16 from setting out in the sun all day. I was stupid for doing it. At least a weeks work on repairing it. Wing tanks have bubbles and it even swelled and SPLIT! the foam aft turtledeck and the front section under the canopy. Canopy needs ripped off and all that reworked. Really pi$$ed me off.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2008, 07:39 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
926 Posts
Thanks Beanie!

I do the opposite! I use the the rough (ruff) side to the inside leave the skin on so it looks smoother. I don't care about the dimples, you can't see 'em at 50 ft away. I glue edges to rough side so I don't do any peeling. I need to try the hot glue gun. Right now I use 5 min epoxy and UHU mostly.
Build looks great! Thanks for your answer.

Daniel
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:57 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
I'm the exact opposite. I went to Lowes today to buy fencing. Naturally I went down the foam aisle. Scored a bundle of fanfold without ANY skin, either side. I pull all the skin off anyway so it just saves me the trouble.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
had to stop skinning to install the servos before i cover everything up. first off, i just threw in a pic showing that i use the hole that is 1cm from the servo pivot point (pic 1). i used 1cm with +/-40degree travel to calculate the other control horns. so, if you're using something different, then the control horn sizes/distances have to be modified.

next, i installed my elevator servo (pic 2). i try to keep the tubing housing as close to the servo as possible without infringing upon the servo arm's movement. that way, the tubing can be braced and reduce slop. i build up a little nest of FFF to support the servo. i use 2 layers and use a brick layer's approach to diffuse stresses.

once that's settled, one aileron servo can go in (pic 3). the next series of 3 pics (pic 4, 5, 6) just show a mini-nest that i use to support the aileron servos. i only used 1 layer because the aileron servos are sitting within the wing layer itsef and that acts as a layer.

after all 3 servos are install, it should look something like pic 7. i made approapriate cuts to route the wiring back to the receiver.

then i plugged everything into the receiver (pic 8). i used some velcro to secure the receiver.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Aug 09, 2008, 10:09 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
looking good Ben! i see you have discovered the golden servo...HXT 900...i use them on just about everything!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 10, 2008, 04:07 PM
Brasil
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
excellent work Beanie, I appreciate its work very, I forgive for my weak English
Sartor is offline Find More Posts by Sartor
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
CN- yeah, gotta love how cheap these servos are. i try and buy in bulk when i can. how is your build coming along?

sartor- thanks! hope you enjoy the rest of the build as she slowly comes along.

didn't get much done this weekend because i was at Thunder Over Michigan on saturday and Michigan Jets rally on Sunday. Thunder Over Michigan was awesome once again. they had 2 ground battle scenes with re-enactors and their US/German/British armor/motorcycles/howitzers/transports with 4 P-47's flying air cover. it was amazing. i missed the morning re-enactment. i think that one had an Me-109 flying air cover for the Germans. between the 2 re-enactments, as part of the aerial show, they had 3 C-47/DC-3's done up in invasion stripes fly overhead. there were 16 re-enactors that simulated a drop from a static line using the old round parachutes used in WWII. that was an amazing sight. i attached a few pics i took.
-beanie
Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:29 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Man, I need a MIG-17 to go with my 15!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:05 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
-17 plans are a comin'!! gonna try and work on calculating some of the skins tonight.

-beanie
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:39 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Great biuld Beanie ! Glad to see that you are using Protection Board 111 ( I think ) I'm all out of Blue Core and was wondering about PB 111.

Those pictures that you took of todays airshow are Priceless !!! Look at the second picture of the C 47 dropping jumpers. Now look at the very bottom near the center of the picture. See that Funny looking canopy ? Thats a geniune MALFUNTION! We call that a " Line Over " these days , but in WW2 they called it a " May West " ! BTW those canopies are T-10's , still used by the Army today. Thier are no airworthy WW2 parachutes left. How do I know all of this? Next Tuesday will mark my 38th anniversary of Sky Diving ! And I am an FAA Senior Parachute Rigger.

Back on topic , I'm leaning with C/N on the EDF Thing , I'm converting my second SkyRay built from his plans to EDF, its been quite a journey , but am heading toward the home stretch I think ! Once you get your feet wet with this EDF thing ( well a little more wet !! ) I think you'll be just fine !

Blue Skies ............R Dub
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:46 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,651 Posts
Love that Mig 17!!
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Aug 11, 2008, 01:11 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
Ben, im hoping to start cutting foam this week...i wan to make sure ive got the edf part worked out before i begin to cut. the good news is, ive got all the elec to get it in the ait...JS1400, HET fan, HET gear coming, and ive got the foam, and the rest so once i fire up production, it wont take too long ive been studying the plans, and trying figure out my final changes its going to be awsome, im itching to start it!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:34 AM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Incredible work, beanie!

Im very interested in the 17 as well.

Jasta
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
205 Posts
Hallo Beanie !

I`m very interested too for the Mig 17....... and the Mig 15....... and the Panther....... and Cougar....... and the F-111 Aardvark....... and the de Havilland Mosquito....... and the F-105D Thud....... and the Mig-25 Foxbat....... and the Mig-23 Flogger....... and the Boeing 727??????? and I hope that my Mig-21 Fishbed will fly great.

Great work all the time Beanie !

Thomas
Adlerauge is offline Find More Posts by Adlerauge
Old Aug 11, 2008, 01:30 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,137 Posts
I canīt wait to see the MiG-17 RTF, Ben!!

The heritage flight picture is my favorite one!!
Ohh, .. but the first picture is hard to bite for me.
They are much too close together and donīt use the natural cover.

Greetings
Hans-Joachim
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim