SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Socomon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:00 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,551 Posts
I used BOC for the screen and velvateen wrapped base board for the boarder. My projector is around 14' from the screen. The Mitsu HC3000 is still on the original bulb. My kids probably have about 5 times more screen time than I do, and all of that is on the XBOX360. I have black out blinds behind the curtains and they still let a little bit of light leak through around the edges. If I put some BOC behind the curtains it would cut the daytime light in the room down to almost nothing as those are north facing windows so they don't get direct sunlight.

Most people see projector and think $$$$$, but you can get a 720P HD projector for under $1k. I spent $2k for my projector new back in 2007, and another $1.8k for speakers and receiver. The couch I got at a store that sold blemished showroom furniture and the front seats are from Ikea. I made the speaker stands, console stand, and the riser for the couch from Home Depot wood. It took about 3 months of weekends to build, but was worth every penny. I have not done a professional calibration, but I did buy a calibration DVD and did it my self.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:08 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
I started with the Avia calibration disc but quickly realized I had no idea what the heck I was doing. They don't give you much direction with those things.

Yes, I spent $1200 for my 720P projector BUT it came with a $400 blockbuster card. We did not pay for a single Blu Ray disc or game for a year and a half! So, I basically paid $800 pro the projector. That ain't a half-bad deal.

The chairs were my single biggest purchase - but I love them and I don't regret it at all. They are mighty darn comfortable and we needed furniture for that room anyway.

I was going to mix my own paint (black Widow), but by the time I was ready to do the screen I was out of energy and patience so I went with a commercial mix screen paint.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon