HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Socomon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 09:03 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Discussion
. . .

. . .
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Last edited by Socomon; Jul 20, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2008, 05:54 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Just too damn cool for words
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Aug 06, 2008, 06:56 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Thanks Mark. It was a good project. A guy with your skills could probably knock it out in a long weekend.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 08:01 PM
Engineer in training
Columbia, Missouri
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
Very nice sir, certainly worthy of having a great time How do you have your side and back speakers mounted?

I have limiting issues with my setup in that I cannot move the couch too far back or else the side channels will blocked by a wall. It is still awesome to watch such a large screen. We almost have an identical setup, from head unit, to speakers, to projector.
johnrobholmes is offline Find More Posts by johnrobholmes
Old Aug 08, 2008, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Hi John.

My rear surrounds and rear-rear surrounds are fairly small polk sattelite speakers that come with wall mount brackets. Where possible I mounted them to a stud (which wasn't often) the others are mounted with drywall anchors. They are light enough that they are no problem, but they give good sound. They are the ones that come with the RM6880 package. I bought that package second hand and I am using the sub, center and 4 surrounds from it. The center is too small for the room and Polk is not known for great subs, but it fit my wallet. The front left and Front right are a pair of Polk Monitor 5b speakers that I have had since the late '80s and still sound fantastic. They really put out.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 08:21 PM
Engineer in training
Columbia, Missouri
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
That would make it a bit easier to mount than mine I ended up hanging my sides on screws, and my fronts are the r50 freestanding from Polk. The sub is some JBL 12".

What did you paint the wall with? It sounds like a great idea for a budget screen.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 08:25 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
I used a commercial product from www.diytheatre.com, but if I did it again I would just mix up one of the recipes found on avsforum like blackwidow, etc. I could have mixed my own for about $50. i paid $200 I think for the commerical product. I was getting tired toward the end of the project and didn't feel like messing around with mixing paints at that point.

What did you use for a screen?
Old Aug 08, 2008, 09:07 PM
Engineer in training
Columbia, Missouri
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
I got a Draper 108" widescreen with an aluminum frame. I think it was the Shadowbox Clarion with m1300 screen, but it might have been the m2500. I chose white, but should have gotten a gray screen since my theater is light controlled.

Everything was bought one bit at a time. I got the screen first, then the frame. The head unit and side speakers came later, and last was the projector. Then I upgraded rear speakers, etc. Now I need a better couch
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:12 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Bad ass.
The only way to make it better is to hook up a HTPC to it. The only content for our theater is the net.
hulu, pandora, itunes, HPP, etc, etc, etc. tpb..

My homepage I made for it: http://www.ramsinks.com/htpc/

** edit. O I just noticed you where streaming from a PC you said. nm.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:18 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Yeah, the PS3 has built in wi-fi and streams from the net and media from the upstairs PC. It also has a web browser and I can watch videos from here on R0Groups. good stuff.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:19 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
I bet Grand Torismo looks killer on that.. and Medal Gear Solid.. mmm
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:52 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
I'm ashamed to admit that I have only rented a game once (I think it was that metal gear) and decided I am just not really a gamer. I died every 2 seconds and got very frustrated. Our 19 year old nanny was pretty good at it though.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:53 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
My homepage I made for it: http://www.ramsinks.com/htpc/
Thanks for the link that is handy.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:19 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,551 Posts
Good job on the theater room. I think more people would have their own theater rooms if they realized how affordable it was. Here is mine all DIY with a total price tag including that lame blue couch of under $5k.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2222

It's a fun project.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Dec 07, 2009, 03:29 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68 View Post
Good job on the theater room. I think more people would have their own theater rooms if they realized how affordable it was. Here is mine all DIY with a total price tag including that lame blue couch of under $5k.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2222

It's a fun project.
That looks great. You screen frame looks pretty much the same as mine. What did you use for the screen substrate (drywall, BOC, or ??).

What is your throw distance to the screen? In retrospect my throw disctance/screen size is a bit too much. I thought the AX200 would have plenty of lumens, but as I learned, they are all full of crap about the light output in any picture mode that gives usable colors.

I had my set-up professionally calibrated a couple months ago and it did improve my colors, etc.

We have definitely gotten our money's worth from the theater and I agree, most people don't know what can be accomplished on a budget.