Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 05, 2008, 07:18 AM
Paoli, PA
Joined Jun 2008
118 Posts
Question
Spektrum DX6i Throttle Cut and Throttle Hold

I have a DX6i transmitter and not sure how to use Throttle Cut and Throttle Hold.

Per the instruction manual, the Throttle Cut button puts throttle and pitch to a preprogrammed position. Where can I see the value of the preprogrammed position? Can I adjust it?

When adjusting Throttle Hold value in Setup, its value can be any number from -100% to +100%. I guess 0 means no throttle, 100% means full throttle. My question is what does a negative throttle mean, say -20%?

Thanks,
sonicserve is offline Find More Posts by sonicserve
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2008, 08:58 AM
Paoli, PA
Joined Jun 2008
118 Posts
Can anybody please explain in what scenario should Throttle Cut and Throttle Hold being used? I am not quite clear about it. Thanks for your help.
sonicserve is offline Find More Posts by sonicserve
Old Aug 06, 2008, 09:46 AM
flint
Joined Nov 2006
34 Posts
hi
First off Throttle Hold ,with this switch in on position the throttle control(stick) will not power the rotor blades up or more servo(glow heli), so you can test pitch or more heli to flight line and also safer as doesnt matter if you more throttle stick up or down on tx (BUT ALWAY BE CAREFULL NEVER JUST THINK ITS SAFE WITH THIS ON)

Second Throttle Cut ,this is for glow,petrol engines so when you land or just want to turn engine off etc you press the button and moves servo to lower position and cuts engine off

If you look in your manual on page41 tell you how to set Throttle cut
but have looked for throttle hold and nothing in manual ? i would just try it switch it on and connect power to heli then try moving the throttle slowly up hopefully the motor will not start but be carefull

Hardnut
hardnut is offline Find More Posts by hardnut
Old Aug 06, 2008, 12:28 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
For an electric heli, throttle hold is used to cut all power to the motor. The default setting in my radio is -5 and that works to ensure there is no power once TH is engaged.

As far as when to use it? Man, that should be one of the first things you learn. That's not busting on you at all, but it really is a safety issue. Never plug in your batter without TH being on. TH can also save parts in a crash. In a perfect world, hit TH just prior to the heli going in and it will save main gears, and other parts a lot of the time since all power/torque is cut as it hits. Of course that's hard to do, but hit it as soon as possible. One note: It's not always a great way to check pitch in TH...TH has it's own pitch curve so depending on what you set it at, it could be different from your normal or ST1 curves.

Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn
Old Aug 06, 2008, 02:16 PM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
Interesting point Skarn...On my tranny Futbaba 6exap...i can only set normal curves with throttle hold on...Idle updoesnt work. To set pitch of idle up i must unplug my battery wires!
jrubenis is offline Find More Posts by jrubenis
Old Aug 06, 2008, 02:39 PM
flint
Joined Nov 2006
34 Posts
hi
Both of you are right on the Throttle Hold Answer,
Skarn yes checking pitch curve with TH on can sometimes work as you have said but as it was a basic question i didnt want to confuse people to much
jrubenis, some Tx's dont have this but as you have done there is a way around this

number one point is Safety first alway test and retest before going close to heli with power connected

hardnut
Old Aug 06, 2008, 02:45 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
So would the best and safest way of checking main blade pitch be to disconnect the motor from the ESC?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Aug 06, 2008, 02:59 PM
flint
Joined Nov 2006
34 Posts
Hi dude 109
Ive had a very bad do with the blades on a raptor 30 Electric (someone turned switch off on my Tx )so im very carefull what i do and say/tell people now as i would'nt which that on anyone else.
I do use TH to check pitch on my Trex but on my logo 10/eco 8 i alway unplug batterys

Another way is to disconnect the esc from Rx and use a rx battery then no way of motor turning on !

Hardnut
Last edited by hardnut; Aug 06, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2008, 03:27 PM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Yes, disconnect one of the three wires to the motor (one is enough). I do it with a linear pitch curve on TH though, not as safe but more convenient.
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Aug 06, 2008, 03:35 PM
Eatonton Ga. United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,543 Posts
Throttle hold can be your best friend in the world if the heli starts going in. There have been times I've had an "Oh crap!" moment and just known I was going to lose it and hit throttle hold and saved damage to the heli.
Sky_Dancer is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Dancer
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:02 AM
Joined Sep 2008
13 Posts
With TH siwtch on, all is fine, I can move throltle stick and rotor won't spin. Here's the part I don't understand, with the TH siwtch on, if I turn my transmitter power switch off, the heli will start spinning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can this be prevented ??
retiree_caf is offline Find More Posts by retiree_caf
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:35 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree_caf
With TH siwtch on, all is fine, I can move throltle stick and rotor won't spin. Here's the part I don't understand, with the TH siwtch on, if I turn my transmitter power switch off, the heli will start spinning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can this be prevented ??

This might be a dumb guestion . Is the sub trim for the throtle set at zero?
I had the same issue, I can't remember but I think it was a combination of the subtrim and the F:mode switch Be very carefull!! I do recall that this issue added to my already extencive collection of scar tissue
I allways(now) disconnect the battery from the escapment before I turn the transmitter off!, It dos'nt hurt near as bad
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Last edited by prop bender; Sep 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:26 PM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree_caf
Don't turn off the TX . Just kidding.

I'm assuming you have a DX6i or other Spektrum.

You may need to re-bind the rx to the tx. After the heli is set up, you need to bind the rx again so it knows where the fail-safe positions are. If, when you first bound the system, the throttle was up or stunt mode was engaged, the rx thinks its fail-safe position is full throttle.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:30 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,377 Posts
NEVER turn TX power off while heli power is still connected. Though advanced RXs are supposed to go into failsafe under this condition, I wouldn't want to count on that alone to keep the heli from bashing its brains out or cutting my finger off.

TTBOMK, 'cut' zeros the THR channel and leaves PIT under stick control with whichever curve it was operating under. 'Hold' sets throttle to a programmable preset AND invokes a separate programmable PIT curve. Hold default THR value is zero, and hold default PIT curve is linear.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Last edited by arbilab; Sep 13, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:37 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Amen to that!
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender