HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Aug 2010
38 Posts
Thanks for the reply Peter

Yes an inline would look nicer but I wouldn't mind if she exposed some of her naughty bits on the outside as well.

If the sparrowhawk is anything like my wife, being tail heavy, she will need something heavy at the front to keep it balanced.

I do have the Saito 200Ti ,(which I've been intending to put in an ESM Typhoon), sitting on the shelf. I don't really like inverting motors though.
Sasazuka is offline Find More Posts by Sasazuka
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:52 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Sas,
You just made me laugh twice!

Thank you
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Aug 2010
38 Posts
Seems like this thread is kinda dead?
Hope everyone is enjoying their sparrows.....

Interested to know what engines people went for and how much weight they needed to use to balance it out.

Anyone out there?
Sasazuka is offline Find More Posts by Sasazuka
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:06 AM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
465 Posts
Mines still in the box. I'll get to it sooner or later...
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:05 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasazuka View Post
Seems like this thread is kinda dead?.....Anyone out there?
26 pages,
Almost 30,000 views
but only half a dozen Sparrows flying. Must be a record!

Maybe it's something I said......
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:29 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
I finally got around to working on the landing gear today with the new HK sprung gear pictured a few posts previous.

After considering a few different ways it might be clamped/screwed/glued/tattooed to the original gear struts, finally I decided just to try soldering it all together. With the Dremel tool I flattened out the rounds of the new gear and the original struts in order to give some surface area for purchase and to get through the plating and down to bare metal. The two pieces were clamped into position with some Vise Grips and heated with a butane torch and letting rosin-cored solder run down into the crack. Worked very easily and the resulting bond is very strong, even though it might look a bit dodgy in the photos. I will add a bit of a brace to the rear of the legs to limit forward travel, then button it up an fly it.
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:05 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Got it done today but won't be able to give it a try until Sunday.

Seems fairly strong thus far and although the model weighs more than 12-1/2lbs there was very little compression of the springs in a static setting. Of course, smooth landings will still be preferred because the compression of the springs occurs rather quickly with little additional G-load.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Wishing you smooth landings Bob!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Hi Guys,

Been reading up on the brilliant reviews on the hawk and are collecting mine this Friday.
Going electric option with a pulso 4120-20 465kv on 6s 5000mah with a 60amp esc and a 15x8.
Running this in my seagull porter and its brilliant(1000w @40amps) so think it will be fine.

Has anyone thought of using an elevator joiner and just using one control rod and servo for the elevator. Just a thought of weight saving ?

Also good idea with the oleos, got a nice pair waiting to fit.

Andy
AndyCross is offline Find More Posts by AndyCross
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Hi, Andy:

465kv seems a bit underpowered for this model (assuming you've got the 72-inch version).

Admittedly, mine is a bit overpowered with a 200kv motor and 5000/10S, but it is not insanely fast nor too heavily wing-loaded. Mine weighs about 12-3/4lbs and is not prone to tip-stall and slows down nicely for landing with the CG farther back, around 13cm.

A joiner could be made easily for the elevators, or a split pushrod could be used. If you use a very light power set as mentioned above, you are indeed going to want to get some weight out of the tail in order to achieve CG without adding lead to the nose. The stock tail gear is also VERY heavy and you might need to find a lighter replacement.

I squeezed in 5 flights today between rain showers. The new oleo gear worked pretty well but on the third flight one of the big solder joints gave out partially upon landing, causing yet another scuff on the spats but doing no major damage. Did a field repair with some light copper wire, butane torch and solder and was back in business. Although the other solder joint held solid all day, when I get a chance I will wrap it with light copper and solder it again as well.

Bob
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Hi Bob,

No its the 63 inch version, most builds seem to be coming in around 8.5lb mark so i reckon my power set should be ample.
Yes good idea regards the stock tail wheel set up, I'm sure there's an alternative set up.
Going to put bigger wheels on as well as our strip this time of year is boggy and perm wet.

Andy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
In that case, power should be excellent for sport flying.

With about 2400 watts mine can do some pretty good verticals. However, it looks so incredibly nice when flown in a scale manner that I am rarely tempted to do so, and even take-offs done at about 1/3 throttle with the tail lifting first for a longer roll-out are very impressive.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Picked the kit up today.

First impressions are excellent. Looks well made and finished to a high standard. Legs look really stout and strong but will fashion my own using oleos. Fitting 4" wheels as well which will help with the ground handling.
My 6s looks like a nice snug fit in there.
The wing chord looks huge in comparison to my other 60inch kits. So this may be a floater!!!!!

Picking up tomorrow a 2.75" alloy spinner and wooden props 15x8 &16x8. We'll see which looks best and gives best performance.

On the whole a very nice kit.

Will get some pics up and running as I go.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Just a quick update. Maidened last weekend. Lovely to fly and handles like dream. 10mins first flight, just nice smooth flowing routine no aeros. 2nd flight tried loops and rolls , brilliant and still got 8mins. Lipos recorded 3200 and 3300 going back in on a 5000mah so quite please all round.

Andy
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:39 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCross View Post
Just a quick update. Maidened last weekend. Lovely to fly and handles like dream. 10mins first flight, just nice smooth flowing routine no aeros. 2nd flight tried loops and rolls , brilliant and still got 8mins. Lipos recorded 3200 and 3300 going back in on a 5000mah so quite please all round.

Andy
Congrats on the successful maiden! Sounds like a great-flying model.

Did you make an elevator joiner, split pushrod or dual servos?