HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 05:07 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
It's autumn here already! Better get off my duff, fix my wayward ESC and get mine flying again!

Can't believe it's almost 4 years since some fool started this thread........
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Then you've got no excuses, mate!

Please post any more ideas that I might want to steal!

Thanks for starting the thread. I would imagine a fair number of reluctant e-converters (such as I) were inspired by it.

Bob
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, IL, Libertyville
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Hello! Just picked up the 71" SparrowHawk at a LHS (1/2 off; $138).

I know this is an electric thread/forum, but it's clearly the most comprehensive SparrowHawk thread to be found (and longest lived!).

But my question, alas, has to do with the smellier powerplants out there (though from what I've read here, ESCs can get pretty noxious when mistreated!).

For the 71" model...figuring in a 12-13lb weight (I prefer sturdy to 'how light can I make it?'), what size gas engine would you drop in it...and/or what size of a 4-stroke nitro?
I'm a relative newbie; this is my first low-wing plane...though I might get/use a better low-wing trainer (I got it cuz of the PRICE, and it looks cool). So I won't be flying pattern or anything, but I'd rather have too much power than 'just right', as I like having the flexibility to go to a larger plane later on.

Thanks so much for your help!
deandome is offline Find More Posts by deandome
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:41 PM
near Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
146 Posts
I used an Evolution 26 gas in mine.
elhepilot is offline Find More Posts by elhepilot
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:54 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Hi, Deandome,

This model is definitely not a first low-wing trainer, being more of a high-performance sport model with some warbird characteristics, what with the tapered wing tips and semi-symmetrical airfoil. If you want a low-wing that is a joy to fly and is very forgiving when landing, consider a Sig 4-Star.

Elhepilot's recommendation of an Evolution 26cc gasser is excellent, and I would also add to the list a DLE 20, which you could use in a Sig 4-Star and then also use in the Sparrowhawk when the time comes. I have helped set up a couple of these engines and they are very well mannered. With the high cost of glow fuel, gassers are the way to go, especially with so many excellent options these days.

I suppose you've read all the comments about the landing gear, and they really are crap. Get ready to do some modifying, as I will be doing this fall when the weather turns cooler.

Good luck with your project!

Bob
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:00 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Elhepilot, how are the Hobby King landing gear working out?

I just got a notice from HK that they are back in stock and am thinking of ordering.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Oct 2004
146 Posts
The installation worked fine. The rest is a sad story. Sparrow Hawk was destroyed on its maiden by a radio problem. Dx8 back to Horizon Hobbies for repair. However, I now have a brand new cowling, lg pants and KH lg struts for sale.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:55 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that!

I haven't checked, but Horizon might still have them cheap.

I ordered some of the lighter sprung gear (4mm, not the 5mm rear link) to install several weeks from now, if they have arrived from HK by then!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Oct 2004
146 Posts
If anyone wants to pay the postage, I have a new untouched cowl and landing gear pants.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:11 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
It's autumn here already! Better get off my duff, fix my wayward ESC and get mine flying again!

Can't believe it's almost 4 years since some fool started this thread........
It's spring here in two days and still haven't got off my duff to fix that wayward esc. But have been thinking about it....
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Couldn't figure out why the motor and esc would loose sync since I hadn't done anything (except to solder in some BEC leads onto the main battery leads) so I just dropped the prop size (but snuck in a couple of inches more pitch) and it operates fine.

So I rediscovered it's still nice to fly after all these years.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:28 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out, Peter, and are able to enjoy this model once again!

I got the sprung landing gear from HK and in the next few weeks hope to get around to installing it, but I will have to give it some thought because I have no idea yet about how to attach it to the existing structure. I want to try to use what is already there so as not to increase weight too much. The sprung gear travel is only approx 2cm, although it is a heckua lot better than the ZERO travel of the stock arrangement.

The only thing slowing me down is our new family member, Cyrus, who is vying for my attention and affection! He's an Aussie shepherd/cattle dog/and (maybe?) hound mix and he is my constant companion as I approach retirement in a couple of months.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Hi Bob,
David mounted a set of HK legs on his 64 inch version: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post13325749

I'm thinking that for the larger ones a pair of sprung legs per wheel would be the best way as the twisting moment on the little centering screw would have to be enough to cause it to damage the plain aluminium slot it runs in.

That's my two cents anyway! I'm sure you will work out a solution (and post some pictures so we can steal your ideas!)

I reckon that pooch is going to keep you on your toes!

Regards
Peter
Last edited by Peter M; Sep 23, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2010
38 Posts
Hi Guys/Gals?

I just bought the 1.6 - 2.0 Sparrow Hawk. Couldn't resist such a unique and sweet looking old gal.

I'm considering putting a 1.6 parallel twin in it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_Engine_.html

Is the C/G correct at 11.5cms?
Sasazuka is offline Find More Posts by Sasazuka
Last edited by Sasazuka; Oct 04, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Sasa,
The cg measurement is from the root not the tip: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=54

Can't help you with the motor selection though but I think it would look better in a Sparrowhawk if it was actually a parallel twin rather than a horizontally opposed one.....