What was the final weight, cmoulder?
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:38 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
'monkey, when do you expect to have yours ready to fly? It will be great to see some more of these beauties airborne and you are in for a real treat when you fly this model, which is one of the best sport flyers I have ever flown.

The Tx is an Airtronics SD-10G. While it does not have a specific pre-set function for using the throttle stick timer, it is easy to figure out using the "stick switch" feature, once you become a bit familiar with the system. It has the most logical and intuitive programming method and is very user-friendly. Best bang for the buck in higher-end radios as well, if you check them out at Hobby People.

AUW with my heaviest battery (Rhino 4900) is 12lb-10oz. Fuse alone (but including Rx batt) is 6lb-2oz, Wing is 3lb-12oz and Rhino is 2lb-12oz.

-- Bob
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:05 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Fellow Seagull Sparrow Hawk aficionados,

Here is the last batch of photos depicting items that I mentioned previously, to add to the construction data base that Peter started.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed the thread with too much info too fast, but I can assure you my "info dump" is over unless somebody has a specific question. The only other thing I might tackle is a modification of the landing gear to add some shock absorption. I saw David H's use of the oleo struts on his 63" Sparrow Hawk and that has got me thinking.

It was a quick and fun conversion.

-- Bob
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:17 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,988 Posts
I predict that motor mount will be toast on the first runup to full power.

Crunch
Capt. Crunch is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:38 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Crunch View Post
I predict that motor mount will be toast on the first runup to full power.

Crunch
It already has 11 flights on it and it is still quite solid.

In time you may prove correct, but I can assure you it is uncannily rigid as is, much more than I would have ever anticipated.

-- Bob
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:41 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Motor mount death watch

Five more flights this morning, and still clinging to life after a total of 19 flights

On a serious note, this has got to be one of the absolute best semi-scale/sport flying models ever made. Handles crosswind very nicely, and now that I have a much better feel for the stall speed, landings are done at a very reasonable speed and "baby-in-the-crib" soft with no bounce.

I am thinking of getting a second one, stripping it and making a bunch of scale enhancements. Although Scale never particularly interested me before, this model flies so nicely that it deserves "the treatment".
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:59 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Been flying the Miles Sparrow Hawk a good bit and am still very pleased with it after 34 flights.

Cap'n Crunch, I did notice a funky noise starting to develop while doing right top rudder knife edges, which I figured out rather quickly were due to motor mount flex that permitted the spinner to rub the cowl. Therefore I added a ply plate inside the motor mount to give it some lateral rigidity. I forgot to take a photo (was in a hurry to go fly, what with a dose of extremely nice weather today) but will take one next time the cowl is off. The modification did the trick, with absolutely no noise from the cowl area despite the spinner clearance being very tight.

A few photos from today, made by clubmate and pro photographer Steve Lesnick. It's nice having someone around who knows what he's doing!!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:03 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
472 Posts
You have an excellent photographer!

What radio gear are you using?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:43 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
bicyclemonkey,

I am using an Airtronics SD-10G transmitter with a 10-channel receiver, although a 6- or 7-channel receiver is enough (depending on Rx battery slots available). However I had the 10-channel available because I am using the slightly smaller 8-channel receivers in my pattern planes. I have approximately 400 flights on various models with Airtronics gear now with nary a glitch.

Servos are all Hitec, what I had on hand. For ailerons some 322HB's, 5625 for rudder and the mini 5245's for elevators.

-- Bob
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
near Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
153 Posts
Landing Gear

I got these units form HobbyKing. I am hoping they will be better than the stock system.

I used a piece of the stock wheel mount wire, moved it over to the centre line and use a 1/4" playwood brace.
elhepilot is offline Find More Posts by elhepilot
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:00 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
472 Posts
Nice, do you have the link to those struts?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2004
153 Posts
Link

Here is the link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm%5F12kg.html
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Looks good, but HEAVY!

With wheels, the landing gear alone could weigh 12 to 14 ounces!

Mine flies fine at 12lb 10oz, but I wouldn't want it any heavier.

I am going to think of some way to made some gear with 3/32 piano... something with a little shock absorption, unlike the stock arrangement which is pitifully inadequate as you all know.

Bob
Old May 21, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Oct 2004
153 Posts
Weight

This one is a replacement for the first one I built (pilot error!). I put all the gear in the same place. In the first one I had to add 5 oz. of lead in the nose to balance. This one with the new landing gear balanced right on. So the mass of the gear is somewhat offset for me.
Old May 22, 2012, 05:13 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
I am using a heavier power set intended for a 2-meter pattern ship (Himax 6330-200 with 5000mAh 10S LiPo) which is why I didn't need the extra nose weight to balance. Balances just right with the batteries right up against the firewall.

So I've got to get off my duff and work on the gear already. But it's Pattern season now and home repair and entertaining season as well so I might not get to it until Autumn...