HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2008, 04:53 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Discussion
Seagull Models Miles Sparrow Hawk

Seagull have just released two versions of this plane. I have just purchased the smaller of two versions and intend to convert to electric. The small version isn't that small having a wingspan of 71 inches (1800mm), originally intended for 0.90 to 1.20cu. in glow power and a approximate flying weight of of 10.6 to 11.5lbs (4.8 to 5.2kgs)

I'm intending to power it with a HXT 63-54 250Kv HobbyCity motor and either 8 or 9 lipo cells.

Anyone else got the same idea for this model replicating a classic looking plane of the 30's? If you have already please speak up as I'm keen to hear any advice!

If you aren't aware of this model if you Google it you will quickly find a review from an English magazine. (Sorry I could't embed a link - I'm not that clever!)

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:58 PM
Upside down Miss Jane....
Georgetown, Newcastle, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
2,153 Posts
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/445

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/502

Nice plane. Really looking foward to seeing it take to the skys E-powered.

cheers, Shawn
Stuntman is offline Find More Posts by Stuntman
Old Aug 25, 2008, 04:07 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Thanks Shawn!
I'm a little surprised there hasn't been much response to this thread considering there is an active one in the Scale forums for smaller "built from scatch" models and Sparrow Hawk enthusiasts tend to be just that, enthusiasts!

I've started the conversion now and have mocked up the plane to check the weight distribution before I get too committed with the battery location and cutting the battery hatch.
I've adopted a combination motor mount and battery box that looks like the set up on the larger Hyperion models I have. This gives the ability to easily place the battery anywhere from the rear of the motor mount to the front of the servo tray (ie a battery box 13 inches long) Since I intend to use 9 cells of around 3700 to 4000mah capacity I have a spare 7 inches ( ) to play with - to get the CG correct I mean!

Since the model is new to the market there has been a few little details that have to be sorted out by the builder but suspect Seagull will fix these issues in due course. The worst issue is the cowl doesn't fit over the front of the fuselage very well and you will notice in the photos I've had to ease the topsides of the firewall. I will also have to slit the bottom of the cowl along most of its length to give me a bit more width to get the cowl to sit on the fuselage correctly.
Last edited by Peter M; Dec 31, 2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:18 AM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
What a classic! Imagine one of 72" ... I can't wait to see this one landing where I am at.
tIANcI is offline Find More Posts by tIANcI
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
WOW what a looker! Hope we get it here in the USA for a fair price.

Looks like it rolls off the same factory line a Graupner/Black Horse.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Aug 26, 2008, 03:01 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Guys
Last edited by Peter M; Aug 26, 2008 at 03:12 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:28 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Cutting the cowl is disappointing. Guess I'm a bigger baby then you, I would be @#$%^ up a storm!!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Sep 07, 2008, 03:17 PM
mikedsilva
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2005
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M
Seagull have just released two versions of this plane. I have just purchased the smaller of two versions and intend to convert to electric. The small version isn't that small having a wingspan of 71 inches (1800mm), originally intended for 0.90 to 1.20cu. in glow power and a approximate flying weight of of 10.6 to 11.5lbs (4.8 to 5.2kgs)

I'm intending to power it with a HXT 63-54 250Kv HobbyCity motor and either 8 or 9 lipo cells.

Anyone else got the same idea for this model replicating a classic looking plane of the 30's? If you have already please speak up as I'm keen to hear any advice!

If you aren't aware of this model if you Google it you will quickly find a review from an English magazine. (Sorry I could't embed a link - I'm not that clever!)

Regards
Peter
Peter
I just stumbled across this thread after seeing the plane advertised at Rojs Hobbies... is that where you bought yours?
I too intend to electrify if I purchase one, but was hoping that my existing power train would do the job. I have a 2 meter pattern electric which uses a Hacker C50 14XL inrunner with gearbox. Battery is 2x5S 5350mah giving me 10S. I normally swing a 20 to a 22inch prop...
What do you think?
Mike
mikedsilva is offline Find More Posts by mikedsilva
Old Sep 09, 2008, 04:52 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Hi Mike,
Yes I bought mine from Roj's Hobbies in Melbourne. They are probably my favourite Australia hobby shop to deal with, quick, easy and often the cheapest, particularly Hitec gear.
I'm not up on Hacker motors but I reckon a geared 50mm inrunner on 10 cells turning a 20 plus inch prop should eat it!
I'm happy with how my conversion has come together so far and have only really to finish the battery hatch (glue the piece cut from the fuselage to the plywood latch frame and recover) and to repaint the cowl. Unfortunately sickness (Yes, so sick I couldn't even work on a plane. Never been that sick before!) and a university assignment have slowed me recently.

I'll post some more photos and a few other things I've learn't along the way that may be of use to you in your conversion shortly. I'll also measure the prop clearance but know already there is heaps with a 19 incher!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:52 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Mike,
Sorry two more photos!

I'm still not convinced that the location of the two elevator servoes are the best as they do stand out like dog's whatsits! There must be a way of placing them under the tailplane to get them more out of view and regret I didn't pursue this.

The only other concern is the mounting of the fibreglass wheel spats. The maker recommends screws and silicon. My worry is how do you remove the spats to say straighten the undercarriage without making a mess of the spats if they are siliconed on? Also my landings are frequently not gentle enough just to rely on the screws!

Regards
Peter
Old Sep 11, 2008, 04:51 AM
mikedsilva
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2005
298 Posts
Peter
I am very impressed with your progress... how does it balance? it is hard to tell from the photos so i will probably have to bite the bullet and just get one.
I'm contemplating stripping the film and changing the colour.. this also gives me an excuse to cut the hatch and to also figure out a way to get the elevator servos hidden a little better.
What is your estimated all up weight?

Mike
mikedsilva is offline Find More Posts by mikedsilva
Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:30 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Mike,
I am confident the model will balance without having to add any extra weight with the front of the battery pack about level with the original firewall. With the length of the battery box I can still move the battery forward by about 2 inches beyond this point or move it back by almost 6 inches so I have plenty of scope for adjustment or for when using different sized battery packs and motors over the life of the model.

If I was more clever I would strip and recover mine in a more pleasing colour scheme too. It's a little disappointing that Seagull have based both the colour scheme and the English registration numbers on a full size Chilton Monoplane that still flies (What you find using Google!). If you have a look in the Scale Forum you will come across a smaller scratch built electric model with a black fuselage and cream wings which looks great and would be tempting to replicate!

As for weight, I'm expecting it to come in just over 5kgs but will weigh tonight now out of curiosity! What really worries me is if I'll be able to fit the model in my Commodore (sold as Pontiac G8's in the States) sedan!

Cheers
Peter
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:04 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Mike,
With a 10s 3200mAh battery (ie 900g) and a nicad RX battery (90g), AUW is 5.124kg.
The motor should peak at about 2000 watts which will give me about 180 watts per pound. It should fly OK!

Cheers
Peter