HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BoneDoc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Slow it down and relearn the feel for it on the Sim. Then do it in real life.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:44 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Also, figure out where you're drifting and find out whether you're early or late on the input.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:48 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Ok will try tonight and thanks for the input Doc will have to start up slow again like you said
to see where its going wrong. do you watch the tail when you do your rollers?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:07 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Hey KM any tips for keeping rolling loops on track ?
For some reason i have been concentrating solely on weeble wobble's for the last few months, started to get the hang of them now. but just gone back to doing rolling loops which i could do perfectly last year. now they are starting to wonder of line as i go inverted, whats going on hehe
+1 on what Josh said about trying to see which direction you're making the error.

Focusing is great to pick up a new maneuver, but it's human nature is that whatever you had almost learned in the past probably wasn't all the way in your muscle memory as yet... and needs more attention when you get back to it. Even when focusing on a new maneuver, it's good to save at least one flight in a session to covering a range of maneuvers, especially ones recently learned... it will help the recent maneuvers get further into muscle memory while still picking up the new thing. The new thing will come faster as you're taking a small break, and the longer breaks between the other maneuvers will really help those... it's simply a good way to help the head-game.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:17 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Cheers KM this makes perfect sense not been doing rolling loops that long and obliviously not imprinted in the muscle memory as much as i thought it was. will go back to basics.
Here's a thought.... if you stopped flying for 5 years then went back to 3D would all the muscle memory be lost back to noob ? or would it just need topping up so to speak
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:05 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I reckon it wouldn't be lost as its just like riding a bike
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:57 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
I reckon it wouldn't be lost as its just like riding a bike
any maneuver you got into long term muscle memory you would be fine with, literally like riding a bike (because bike riding becomes muscle memory)... but anything you still had to think about or apply considerable effort to do would be lost, anything you kinda-sorta had down may be gone depending on how long you left it and where your personal aptitude level is at. But if you keep flying, get it all stored into muscle memory, you'd do pretty well.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
any maneuver you got into long term muscle memory you would be fine with, literally like riding a bike (because bike riding becomes muscle memory)... but anything you still had to think about or apply considerable effort to do would be lost, anything you kinda-sorta had down may be gone depending on how long you left it and where your personal aptitude level is at. But if you keep flying, get it all stored into muscle memory, you'd do pretty well.
I was going to use my golf analogy yesterday but didn't...but will try it today. Played a lot(as in nothing else to do in central MS) junior golf. Eventually got my handicap down to 7. Today even though I haven't played it 3-4 years I could probably go out and almost break 80. I've done this in the past. While muscle memory is good for the swing, the little detail things like putting/short game would suffer. So IMO the after a layoff, the bulk of the things would be there, but stopping points in snaps, etc, would probably not be as crisp. But would come back in a short time with practice(practice, practice).

I'm not the best pilot but for me any stick time, UMX, EPP, balsa it training my thumbs/eyes and brain. Now if I can train my brain that a 74" Edge cost the same as a EPP I would probably fly even better.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
guys... today trying to do a taildragging, i think i almost clicked a harrier landing... thats a slightly failed taildrag...basically harriering in a low AoA and when tail is touching the ground, drop(not chop) throttle a bit, and that will lover wheels... i know im doing something wrong, but so far that is most soft landings im getting every try....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:32 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
guys... today trying to do a taildragging, i think i almost clicked a harrier landing... thats a slightly failed taildrag...basically harriering in a low AoA and when tail is touching the ground, drop(not chop) throttle a bit, and that will lover wheels... i know im doing something wrong, but so far that is most soft landings im getting every try....
Sounds right to me??

Of course if you mean you don't mean to land then yes, you are doing something wrong
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:11 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Sounds right to me??

Of course if you mean you don't mean to land then yes, you are doing something wrong
He.... I was failing at rudder dragging when i understood, im not failing, im harrier landing! but still rudder drags for me is more luck than skill so far...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:48 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
A properly done harrier landing will enable you to land in pretty much any condition. Tail dragging upright will also help prevent those BoneDoc's .

Harrier Landing Clinic
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:05 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,056 Posts
Hi Guys

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but what exactly is that move at 0.41 or 0.42 seconds in this clip:

TELINK EDGE (7 min 59 sec)

It's a real common move.. I know... but does it have a name.... oh, and can anyone explain exactly how to pull it off... it must be easy, but for some reason, I can't replicate it how I'd like to... perhaps it's because my entry and exits aren't the same....or not enough elevator throw??

Any tips welcome...

Rick
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multiplex Stuntmaster Maiden
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
Hi Guys

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but what exactly is that move at 0.41 or 0.42 seconds in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX_pkS0MAPY&feature=fvst

It's a real common move.. I know... but does it have a name.... oh, and can anyone explain exactly how to pull it off... it must be easy, but for some reason, I can't replicate it how I'd like to... perhaps it's because my entry and exits aren't the same....or not enough elevator throw??

Any tips welcome...

Rick
we can't see it due to copyright here in the US... any other videos you've seen the maneuver in?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,056 Posts
Oh - sorry,,, ok... I'll find one...you'll know it immediately
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multiplex Stuntmaster Maiden