Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by BoneDoc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:13 PM
Triple boxed goodness!
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Josh how are you coming along with the 'pop-top'? - I can't get this one figured out, first part is easy - wall - and then i'd have thought hard rudder with a blast of power.....but that doesn't seem to work.
simon737 is offline Find More Posts by simon737
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:15 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon737 View Post
Josh how are you coming along with the 'pop-top'? - I can't get this one figured out, first part is easy - wall - and then i'd have thought hard rudder with a blast of power.....but that doesn't seem to work.

...it's a blender... so, like a normal blender (start rolling left, add burst in right rudder just before full down elevator), just get up a pile of speed and do it going up instead...

...and for giggles, do it flying flat (at recovery height, 'cuz it's hard to know which way the nose will be pointing)
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:36 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post

...and for giggles, do it flying flat (at recovery height, 'cuz it's hard to know which way the nose will be pointing)
I did one last Saturday with my 51 and the gO-Rillas went wILd ! oF course, I was a griNNing eAr-2-EaR tOO
EDIT: GoT DanG, didn't realize I toPPed 11 K post !
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:43 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Would someone be willing to post a video of a 'pop-top'? It sounds like a fun maneuver and I want to know what it looks like befre I attempt it so I know weather or not I am doing it right.
Jus Wanna Fly is offline Find More Posts by Jus Wanna Fly
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:02 PM
Triple boxed goodness!
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Joe does one here at approx 17 seconds, its a turnaround manoeuvre and he comes out of it in knife edge (just cos he's too damn good! ), the standard exit is inverted.

Joe Smith Practice SEFF 2011.mpg (4 min 35 sec)
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:50 PM
This Ain't Rocket Science
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2005
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon737 View Post
Joe does one here at approx 17 seconds, its a turnaround manoeuvre and he comes out of it in knife edge (just cos he's too damn good! ), the standard exit is inverted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1CTzFENXY
Not really what would be considered a true "pop-top". but the basic movement is there.
3d_Junkie is offline Find More Posts by 3d_Junkie
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:30 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,517 Posts
Here is what I would call a Pop Top: starts at 27 seconds....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...60&postcount=1
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:50 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,057 Posts
Yup.. that a good shot of a pop-top.

I've been working on these, and for me it seems to be a left rolling upline, then slap in some opposite rudder, down elevator, little to no throttle and top it off with some opposite aileron to keep it spinning flat.

I'm certainly no pro, so any tips or corrections to how I've been doing them is more than welcome!

Getting the plane to pop isn't too bad, its keeping it nice and flat that I find challenging, however, its a lot like a blender, and after you hit it a few times, you'll have it down pat.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:04 PM
Jus Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Thanks, that isn't quite what I pictured, but it sure looks cool. I'll have to start working on that.
Jus Wanna Fly is offline Find More Posts by Jus Wanna Fly
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:25 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,517 Posts
I think I pull up at full throttle, add full right rudder and full left aileron and full down elevator all at the same time. I hold the right rudder in while letting off the throttle. As soon as the right stick hits the top left corner (Full left aileron and full down elevator) I quickly pull the aileron back to neutral and let off on down elevator. It is a little different with different planes, but that is pretty much how I do it. And yes it is basicall a blender while doing an up line. REALLY FUN
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:44 AM
Triple boxed goodness!
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d_Junkie View Post
Not really what would be considered a true "pop-top". but the basic movement is there.
Your right, I got confused thinking the 'pop top' exited inverted and was purely a turnaround manoeuvre, with one rudder turn at the top to pull the airplane around....looks like I have 2 new manoeuvres to try out!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 04:26 PM
Norway, Rogaland, Sandnes
Joined Oct 2009
301 Posts
Finally I understand how to do this. Now I'll have to practice. Thanks for bringing up the topic. This move has been evading me for a long time.
awry is offline Find More Posts by awry
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
SoCal SlowFlyer
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Nov 2009
188 Posts
BoneDoc,

Thanks for the great instructional videos. Your "overlay" view makes it much easier to watch and learn. Being new to 3D, I've subscribed to this thread so I can watch them repeatedly and apply your techniques to my simulator and scratch built Extra 300. So far my repairs have been minimal as I take baby steps to get the hang of these skilled maneuvers.

Nice job!

And huge thanks to your wife as well!

Steve
StevoRC is offline Find More Posts by StevoRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build #38 (March 2014) F/A - 18
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:14 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Congrats Steve. I'm glad you're having fun .

My apology for not putting this one out earlier, but here's another one on the basics of rolling harrier.

BoneDoc's 3D Clinic: Rolling Harrier 101
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:18 AM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
we want a rolling figure 8 loop video!
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob