HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2004
1,460 Posts
Discussion
Someone wanna do a "new stuff" instruction thread

Hi guys...

Just wondering if anyone with a digi camera , a spare bit of epp foam and some of the new stuff wanna do a instruction thread on the stuff ... what i wanna see before i commit myself to the "new way" of doing an epp plane "for a fly thread<sick of building em and not flying em,,lol" is..

*thicknesses .... in mm
*what the stuff looks like on top of epp from the side
*application techniuqes
*Ways to colour it

of course im keen and will need some samples to find creative methods of colouring it without adding weight and also after much debate getting a mate of mine "who makes laminates and vynyl locally" to make a colourfast covering like monokote but for epp in these thicknesses...

so if someone wants to show me the new stuff we can get creative and make a great product even better

"Knew i was usefull for something other than building planes"

cheers
doug
flybaby2000 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2008, 07:42 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,837 Posts
gavoss is offline Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gavoss; Aug 07, 2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 10:08 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybaby2000
Hi guys...

*thicknesses .... in mm
*what the stuff looks like on top of epp from the side
*application techniuqes
*Ways to colour it

cheers
doug
Hi Doug,

I have too many projects to do another at the moment, but you can check out my old Reaper build, where I used the new stuff; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821598

There is some photos of it on the side, showing thickness, joining technique, LE folded, etc,.

I have a couple metres of the stuff left if you want me to send you some to play with.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Aug 06, 2008, 03:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2004
1,460 Posts
thanks eric . i will look into your thread and see if the "New Stuff" is just another name for "thicker laminating film" thats been around for centuries and used by many modellers as a clear covering until someone thought " hey ill cover it in that thicker stuff" and tried to brainwave that it was actually new and unfound......

for example . three years ago i bought a lot of laminating films and occasionially you would get a thicker roll for cheap as the laminators had no use for it , instead of throwing it i kept it for other uses .. three years later its very interesting to see how im now building alot of epp planes , out of the planes i build most are foamies...

stupid fate or fate is a stupid thing "anyway"

a freind of mine makes laminating film at the source of most of oz supply and says that with request they can colour it like monokote..

for a majority of users i think that this is great...

oh and i can get these thicknesses too

60 microns
70 microns
120 microns

so making a good comprimise would be ripper for man and hobby rather than renaming an old goat.. lets make some new stuff

cheers
doug
Old Aug 06, 2008, 04:40 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybaby2000
a freind of mine makes laminating film at the source of most of oz supply and says that with request they can colour it like monokote..

cheers
doug
That is great news Doug. Couldn't be a better out come if you and your friend can make this work.

I'm pretty sure that not all laminating film is created equal. Apparently some of the glues etc, don't stick so well to EPP. I do know that some guys are having success with some of the thinner varieties of film available here in Australia. I guess we need some of this colored stuff made so we can give it a go!

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Aug 06, 2008, 05:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2004
1,460 Posts
Yeah thats why i need some samples of the "quote name here stuff laminating film" as the sooner i can get a sample the sooner i can get the ball rolling on creating some great covering for epp ..

just in case im in the perception that "the new stiff" is just some way of saying "thicker laminating film" then i can get some made in colours of white , red , yellow , blue, and black ..

if someone wants to cut some samples of the stuff into what can fit into an envelope and send it to me " pm me 4 address" then i would be happy to provide the effort and research to get some covering made for our hobby...

cheers
doug