HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2008, 08:04 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Discussion
Dissection of a Titan 12T Motor

Since I have a couple of cooked Traxxas Titan 12T motors laying around, I thought it would be interesting to take one apart to see what it looks like and what melted. This is the Titan 12T available at a number of places for an approximate cost of $22.75. I pried the can open with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. Checked it out and could not determine what part failed....I expected to see melted wires...but did not.

Capt. Crash
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2008, 08:34 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Ahhhhh...
But can you put it back together?...
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Aug 04, 2008, 09:02 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
Ahhhhh...
But can you put it back together?...
Prolly not...

Never seen brushes with grooves, perhaps they cut through the contact copper on the armature, severing electrical flow. I thought they are supposed to be smooth.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 04, 2008, 09:17 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
Thank You, saved me $23.00, i appreciated the posting!
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:06 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoabcr
Thank You, saved me $23.00, i appreciated the posting!

I don't think I will be buying any more of these either. I was surprised at the quality. Here are some cropped up close shots....it's amazing what you can see through the lens that you can't see with the naked eye.

I may pull the other motor apart tonight and see if I can determine it's failure point. Neither of the motors had more than 20 minutes run time. The last one was a shocker as it didn't get that hot...it didn't even exhibit smoke like the first one I cooked.

Capt. Crash
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:10 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
Pat, slotted brushes are common.

The failure is clearly due to excessive heat caused by excessive current. You must have overloaded the motor. The magnets can get destroyed by excessive heat, losing their strength.

I have run two Titan 12's in two different boats without issue. In an EP1 outboard on the Pro Fisherman bass boat I ran it a couple dozen times and it is still in excellent condition. In my Harbor Star I am running another, it has over a dozen 30 minute runs so far, no problems. I also tested a Titan 12 with a propeller in my airboat and it did not overheat.

You guys are just hard on motors!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:22 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Tom...I really just put this out there for you! Now you know what it looks like inside the can.

Your right...once again too much voltage and/or too much prop!

The only way I know how to find the best motor/prop package is to torture test it....but some motors can take the abuse...while others lay down and die a little too easily.

Hey my new avitar is a better fit...Crash and Burn!

Capt. Crash
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:57 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
Melted Motors

I've seen a few.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 12:05 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,036 Posts
Nice meltdown Tom.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 04, 2008, 01:20 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,683 Posts
Quote:
Inside the can showing the magnet placement. These are very fragile...they shattered with a light tap on the can with a hammer.
Did they shatter to the hammer, or were they in distress before? A cracked magnet isn't really a magnet any more.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Aug 04, 2008, 01:46 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
Did they shatter to the hammer, or were they in distress before? A cracked magnet isn't really a magnet any more.
They were fine until I took the can in my palm and hit it on the side with a hammer trying to pop them loose. That's when they shattered. Now I have lots of magnetic particles.

Capt. Crash
Old Aug 04, 2008, 03:58 PM
Davenport Iowa
Joined Jan 2006
173 Posts
Motor failure

Hi Capt Crash
The failure point is easy to see. There is only one brush still attached to the copper brush arms. There needs to be two. Cant tell with the second motor though. Just about all the can type motors have grooved brushes. Many boaters put the motor into a container of water and run the motor at a low voltage. This very quickly breaks in the brushes before actually using the motor in a boat. This much increased contact area helps the with the ability to handle the amps the motor will draw. I have done this with nearly all my 600 and 700 type motors. Ned
n.h.schmidt is offline Find More Posts by n.h.schmidt
Old Aug 04, 2008, 05:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt
Many boaters put the motor into a container of water and run the motor at a low voltage. This very quickly breaks in the brushes before actually using the motor in a boat. Ned
Yup.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 05:32 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt
Hi Capt Crash
The failure point is easy to see. There is only one brush still attached to the copper brush arms. There needs to be two. Ned
Good eye Ned! I removed the other brush and it is in one of the first pics above but not where it belongs. It is not the culprit.

Tom...how many volts are you putting on a 7.2 v motor to break it in like that and for how long?

Capt. Crash
Old Aug 04, 2008, 06:29 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
That is a 12V motor and I ran it at 12V for a few minutes. You do not need to run a motor at low voltage if it is in water. The reason you run a motor at low voltage when breaking in brushes is to avoid sparking and arcing the armature. But if it is in water, it does not spark and arc.