HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2008, 08:53 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Discussion
THE OFFICIAL KDS 450S 3D THREAD, questions/support

I went to Woodvale rally over the weekend. Ended up coming home with a new heli - a KDS 450S 3D. Looks like a Trex clone AFAIK. anyway it's RTF (yeah right!) with a 6 channel WFLY Tx with KDC's own gyro KDC800 (401 clone they say) and their own 30A (40A less than 10 seconds) ESC. battery is a 12S 1700 mAh.

EDIT - KDS not C OOPS!
It'll make a change from me Raptor, assuming I'll get it to fly - so far so good it all seems to work the right way, but I haven't balanced the blades yet, so only spooled it up on the kitchen floor.

Tach.
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Last edited by TachyonDriver; Aug 11, 2008 at 06:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2008, 04:41 AM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonDriver
I went to Woodvale rally over the weekend. Ended up coming home with a new heli - a KDC 450S 3D. Looks like a Trex clone AFAIK. anyway it's RTF (yeah right!) with a 6 channel WFLY Tx with KDC's own gyro KDC800 (401 clone they say) and their own 30A (40A less than 10 seconds) ESC. battery is a 12S 1700 mAh.

It'll make a change from me Raptor, assuming I'll get it to fly - so far so good it all seems to work the right way, but I haven't balanced the blades yet, so only spooled it up on the kitchen floor.

Tach.
lets see some piccys of it
henryd123 is offline Find More Posts by henryd123
Old Aug 04, 2008, 05:20 AM
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
There will be some piccys later on tonight
Old Aug 04, 2008, 07:12 AM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
Quote:
There will be some piccys later on tonight
look forward to seeing them, just done a google search for it but can't find any info
Old Aug 04, 2008, 07:24 AM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
this one is pretty rare as well,pigeon 450m1,it also came with wfly radio that I have since changed to futaba 6ex.This flys real nice,very stable,hope yours does as well
henry
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:14 AM
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
OOH you got metal bling. The KDC is plastic but with a metal tail boom. The frame design is different to the pidgeon - hard black plastic - I thought it was aluminium at first!

Well, got her in the air in the warehouse at work! It allowed me to get the blades tracked (I'd balanced them on my break with a bit of tape ) and get used to the characteristics a little. I didn't need dual rate to calm it down she wasn't as twitchy as I thought. I may have to have a look at the ESC programming - switching into idle up didn't make a deal of difference to hover rpm, although the collective pitch DID change to give me upright hover at around 3/4 stick. Either way, once the collective "bit" the air, the motor rpm died a little
Motor and ESC were ambient temp, but battery got warm. Perhaps the battery will improve with successive flights and charges.

Overall though, she appears to be quite well behaved in the hover - can't wait to set her free outdoors.

BTW - I googled for the bird as well and could not find any info either!
Tach.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:38 AM
Pirouetting flip master
Malaysia
Joined Jul 2007
645 Posts
what is KDC?
lyclyc is offline Find More Posts by lyclyc
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:07 AM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
Quote:
OOH you got metal bling. The KDC is plastic but with a metal tail boom. The frame design is different to the pidgeon - hard black plastic - I thought it was aluminium at first!

Well, got her in the air in the warehouse at work! It allowed me to get the blades tracked (I'd balanced them on my break with a bit of tape ) and get used to the characteristics a little. I didn't need dual rate to calm it down she wasn't as twitchy as I thought. I may have to have a look at the ESC programming - switching into idle up didn't make a deal of difference to hover rpm, although the collective pitch DID change to give me upright hover at around 3/4 stick. Either way, once the collective "bit" the air, the motor rpm died a little
Motor and ESC were ambient temp, but battery got warm. Perhaps the battery will improve with successive flights and charges.

Overall though, she appears to be quite well behaved in the hover - can't wait to set her free outdoors.

BTW - I googled for the bird as well and could not find any info either!
Tach.
my pigeon arrived with a 12c 2200 lipo which was not up to the job (got quite hot) I now use a 25c 2200 and this barely gets warm after 8-9 mins of hover
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:34 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Feb 2008
209 Posts
I think it's KDS that's the renamed Gulang brand..
kimmy is offline Find More Posts by kimmy
Old Aug 04, 2008, 03:39 PM
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Thanks for the battery advice henry! Here's the pics:-
Old Aug 05, 2008, 04:14 AM
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Weird thing happened with the supplied balance charger (nice little blue anodised 2 cell/3 cell "COPTER" balance charger). The green LED was flashing to show that the battery was indeed charging. BUT IT WAS FLASHING FOR MORE THAN 3 HOURS! I finally unplugged the battery and then re-connected it - the LED went solid green indicating a full charge. FWIW the battery was at ambient temperature inside the lipo sack. I will see if my mate has got some appropriate power leads for his proper balancer.

Tach.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:57 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
I can see why no one could find info lol

it's a KDS!!! thanks to the gyro pic
http://www.mmhobby.com/gu453delrtfh.html
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Aug 05, 2008, 04:13 PM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
The battery can only supply 20.4 Amps continuous which probably is not enough for the heli. I would suggest you upgrade the battery before you set it on fire (especially having charged it for 3 hours).

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Old Aug 05, 2008, 05:24 PM
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
p4ddy - that link is close but no cigar. Yes my heli is a KDS (sorry!) BUT the frames on the one in the link are totally different as are the push pull linkages on the servos. Just single links on mine,the servos are closer to the mast and in different positions. I've got solid frames and the battery fits on a sloping panel.

Butuz - dunno why but the battery is OK my mate brought his cute little up-to-3-cell lipo voltage reader. One cell was at 4.27 the other two were 4.18, 4.14 anyhow. got some leads made up for the PROPER charger and balancer combo. Going to see what it does now.

Tach.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 06:39 PM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
the swash set up differs from my pigeon (mine is direct from servo's) looks more like esky belt cp set up