HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2008, 02:06 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,063 Posts
Discussion
"Scratch" from RC FLY magazine

I noticed in a RC FLY magazine a pull-out plan for a sport plane called "the Scratch". Has anybody build/flown it?
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2008, 09:05 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,842 Posts
Yes, My son and I built two. I was pleasantly surprised how well they fly
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2008, 09:55 AM
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,063 Posts
They're looking great!

This is a coincidence! I am going to build two together with my son as well! He's been flying slimers, but has seen the light and sold his glow stuff. He wants to get a all modded MPX Acromaster, but lacks the funds. So I made him an offer he couldn't refuse, just to keep him flying. We will build them together, and he pay for half of the electronics he needs to add.
I was thinking of adding landing gear.

What is your setup? To keep our (=my son's) expenses down I was thinking of getting a Turnigy combo from Hobby City with a couple of decent lipoly's.
Old Aug 03, 2008, 10:17 AM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away
They're looking great!

This is a coincidence! I am going to build two together with my son as well! He's been flying slimers, but has seen the light and sold his glow stuff. He wants to get a all modded MPX Acromaster, but lacks the funds. So I made him an offer he couldn't refuse, just to keep him flying. We will build them together, and he pay for half of the electronics he needs to add.

What is your setup? To keep our (=my son's) expenses down I was thinking of getting a Turnigy combo from Hobby City with a couple of decent lipoly's.
I am using a pair of those motors on my Multiplex Twinstar. With 9x7.5E APC propellers and Turnigy 25A speed controllers I am getting 255 watts and 21.7 amps per motor. Is this what you are looking for or would you want a smaller prop on a higher kv motor? My Twinstar isn't terribly fast, but it has gobs of power. I have been thinking about building the "Scratch" myself. It seems like an easy straight forward design. Check out the "Twinger", also offered as a free plan in Fly RC magazine. Good luck!

--quigley
(subscribed)
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Aug 03, 2008, 01:18 PM
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,063 Posts
Good grief, this is an evening of coincidences! I have the plans of the Twinger already photocopied to size and ready to go! I was planning on starting with the Twinger soon, but a father & son project has priorities...

I guess I'm looking for 200Watts to haul 600-700 grams of balsa around at speed. We're thinking of dogfights with streamers...

NB.
My son thinks the Twinger is for old folks like me...
Old Aug 03, 2008, 05:09 PM
Northern CA
Joined Mar 2006
194 Posts
Yes! here a couple shots of mine.
LtDan is offline Find More Posts by LtDan
Old Aug 04, 2008, 08:46 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away
They're looking great!

I told my son I would sponsor the funds for everything as long as he helped build it, and he did! It was great pulling him away from the Play Station.

Mine uses a Suppo 2204 brushless outrunner, Got it and the ECS for $30 at HotRC deals. I fly it with a 3 cell 2100mah TP Lipo - get about 15 mins flights. More power than it needs.

My son's (The blue and Gray one) is powered with a Castle Creations Mamba CM-2042 brushless in-runner that turns a 6:1 gear box. Uses a 3-cell 1200 Mah Lipo. This seems about perfect. His is not as fast, but just right for him to learn with. Both weigh about 21 oz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:22 AM
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,063 Posts
What's your AUW? I just had a look at RC HotDeals.com and the 2204 is quoted for 4-8 Oz planes?
Old Aug 04, 2008, 12:40 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,842 Posts
Oops. Sorry. I guesed wrong. I bought the Suppo 2212/10T combo with the 30 amp ESC. (I'm sure, just went to the basement to look)

This motor is very powerful with a 8X6 or 9 X 6 APC prop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2008, 12:28 AM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
Great to see people are building and enjoying the Scratch. FWIW, I have been flying the original with a Hacker A20-20L, APC 9x7.5 SF prop and a 1500 mah, 3S pack controlled by a Hacker 20 amp ESC. Scoots right along and has unlimited vertical with that setup. I have over 100 flights on mine it's still fun to fly. Here's a couple of pics of the original. I've recently switched it over to Spektrum so no more wires on the outside. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Jim Vigani
jfv is offline Find More Posts by jfv
Old Aug 05, 2008, 02:12 AM
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,063 Posts
What did you guys use for elevator/rudder pushrods?
I was thinking 1.5mm CF rods with a quicklink epoxied at both ends.

EDIT

Sorry, that should read a threaded coupler epoxied at both ends, with a quicklink attached to it...
Last edited by Up&Away; Aug 05, 2008 at 02:16 AM. Reason: correction
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:11 AM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
I used 1/8" CF tube with 2-56 threaded rod inserted at both ends. I use J-B Weld to glue the threaded rod into the tube. I add a piece of heat shrink at the end to help keep the tube from splitting. The rudder pushrod has a long piece of threaded rod so that it can be bent to exit the fuse.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 10:05 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,842 Posts
I used the same type of push rods. First time I used CF rods, good tip, they are light and very strong. In larger airplanes I have used Arrow shafts, this is the same idea only on a smaller scale.

Good to see the original designer here. Jim, this is a wonderful little airplane. My son and I have attached light-weight streamers and tried R/C combat with them. Neither of us got a kill, because we are both too scared to fly close enough to each other for fear of a unplanned meeting, but they will fly with the added drag of a paper mache streamer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2008, 10:25 AM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
Thanks Steve. You and your son did a great job on the build. The Scratch has been much more popular than I ever expected. So much so that we are in the process of kitting it. It will be offered by 3DX Hobbies. Should be out sometime in October. Everybody who has flown mine loves it. Sometimes a design just works out I guess.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 03:11 PM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
Anybody have a copy of the plan for the Scratch? I do not get that magazine so I missed the plan for this cool looking little plane.
Coop is online now Find More Posts by Coop