HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2008, 05:17 AM
Registered Abuser
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
658 Posts
Help!
Pleas Help! Need info on USA car size quick!

Hi all,

I quickly need some help!

I need to make a box for transporting and protecting my models on our road trip in the USA. I do not know if the size of box I need to make will fit in an American car, we only have a small 2 door German sports car and there is NO WAY it will fit in it.

I had wanted to make a box that would fit on the back seat, but the smallest length to fit my 1 piece SR-7 wing will need to be about 160cm (approx. 63 inches)

Can someone please measure the distance between the doors, and between the seats and roof of a typical mid-sized American car. We have reserved a Pontiac G6 or similar from Avis.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
fooesboy is offline Find More Posts by fooesboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2008, 07:43 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,811 Posts
Chris, if I'm not mistaken, the Pontiac seats fold down, so the trunk flows thru and under, resulting in a pretty long trunk floor. I know for a fact there are not that wide as my wing halves dont fit and they are 62" each half.
You coming to SoCal???
WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Aug 02, 2008, 08:14 AM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2004
3,509 Posts
Chris, I have a similar car to the G6, 2 door I am thinking?

I just measured my car and a box that will slip in the car behind the front seats and sit across the back can be. 110cm width, 30cm depth, and 45cm height.

hope that helps
Chief High Horse is offline Find More Posts by Chief High Horse
Old Aug 02, 2008, 10:04 AM
Registered Abuser
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
658 Posts
Thanks guys! Looks like the car we have reserved is going to be wayyyyy to small! I need to fit a box 160cm x 50cm x 50cm at a minimun! I have called the rental company and they recommended to change the car at the time of pick up.

Dave any chance build nights will be back on when I'm in SoCal?

Thanks again for the info!

Chris
Old Aug 02, 2008, 10:58 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,393 Posts
Ya, upgrading the car is no big deal. And you'll be pleasantly surprised
at how cheap the gas prices are.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2008, 01:54 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,477 Posts
Before you build a box, check out the Sport Tube. Designed for snowboards, it telescopes in length, and will hold several sailplanes. Best thing is that when you arrive at your destination, you can take your planes out of the sport tube and collapse it down to a convienet size.

WinchDoc
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Aug 02, 2008, 02:18 PM
H.A.L. 9000
Benicia Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2001
730 Posts
Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a Toyota Sienna minivan if possible, loads of room, and a good driver as well.
checkenbach is offline Find More Posts by checkenbach
Old Aug 02, 2008, 03:34 PM
Registered Abuser
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
658 Posts
Ian, the gas will still be about 1/2 of what it is here in Switzerland......

WinchDoc, I have seen the sports tubes here on RC Groups, but cant find any here. But this option will also give (I hope) good protection while traveling in the car. We are planing on driving about 5'000 miles.

Checkenbach, Thanks for the tip, not sure if Avis do Toyota's. Not sure if a minavan is the way to go or a SUV, we will just have to take a look when we are there.

Minhuahua, are your going to Sore Utah? I will let you know when we are on our way down SoCal.

Attached are a couple of photos of the box I have started on this afternoon. I hope it will stand up to the baggage "throwers"

Chris
Old Aug 04, 2008, 12:13 PM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2004
3,509 Posts
Chris,

Make sure you have a support block in the middle of that box!!! The baggage handlers at the airlines WILL stack a couple of hundred pounds of suitcases on top of that box.
Chief High Horse is offline Find More Posts by Chief High Horse
Old Aug 04, 2008, 12:23 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhuahua
Chris,

Make sure you have a support block in the middle of that box!!! The baggage handlers at the airlines WILL stack a couple of hundred pounds of suitcases on top of that box.
I wouldn't trust any cardboard box like that in the hold - it's gotta be much sturdier than that, ideally with a polycarbonate shell. It will be more expensive than yours to transport, but then arriving with a box of mangled plastic and foam isn't exactly cheap...
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...