HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2008, 06:58 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Discussion
Need Advice Converting FF Model to RC

Hi Guys,

I've just acquired a delightful "CS Boddo .75 Mills" engine and am planning to install it in an old FF design (which I've yet to decide-on and build)

I'm only planning-on having a basic RC "steering" system, so I suppose this is probably destined to be an "FF to RC-Assist Conversion" project

Although I need to keep the RC gear as light as possible, I will still need to use 35MHz, so it will not be a case of "ripping the guts out of" a small RC flying toy

Lightweight Rx and servo(s - if I decide to have an elevator too) will not be a problem to obtain

But I need some advice regarding the Rx battery. I realise I could use 4 x AAA cells, but I don't know if there's an even lighter way to get the required voltage (leaving-out lipos as I'm allergic to them - having almost burned my house down not so long ago when one caught fire)

Any advice will be welcome

Tony
T.W. is offline Find More Posts by T.W.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:44 AM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
There are 1/3AAA NiMHs available. Those might just be a bit hard to find. I'd go for a 1-cell LiPo.
Jupeli is offline Find More Posts by Jupeli
Old Aug 26, 2008, 05:53 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
438 Posts
I've just bought a Boddo Mills too, and mounted it in a Tomboy. Rudder/elevator control. Micro servos (9gm), 700mah AAA nimh pack, Futaba R606 receiver.

How do you like your Boddo Mills Tony? I'm very happy with mine. It turned about 6,500 with a Master 8*4 after about 20 mins running, and very easy to start and tune.
johnvb is offline Find More Posts by johnvb
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:00 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Hi John, The engine is a little jewel - runs great and looks great too
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:54 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
438 Posts
Flew the 42" Tomboy with Boddo Mills today at the Cowra Oily Hands day today. Went well, mostly at 4 stroke burble. I'll try running it a bit harder after a few more flights.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:18 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
213 Posts
Great! Maybe now that my Junior 60 project is "almost" completed I'll get-on with my Boddo Mills project!

What radio gear have you used? What size Rx battery?

Tony
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:44 PM
Boo
Joined Dec 2004
161 Posts
Hi Chaps,

I as considering getting one of the new Boddo Mills engines but was a bit put off by a bad experience with an Aurora Mills a long time ago. Can eiher of you tell me how this new Mills compares with the originals ?

Thanks,

Boo
Boo is offline Find More Posts by Boo
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:47 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo
Hi Chaps,

I as considering getting one of the new Boddo Mills engines but was a bit put off by a bad experience with an Aurora Mills a long time ago. Can eiher of you tell me how this new Mills compares with the originals ?

Thanks,

Boo
The Boddo Mills constructed differently from the originals. The originals have a cast crank-case and cylinder, while the Boddo has a turned lower case and soldered(?)/welded(?) upper. Can't say much more about the internals because I haven't pulled it apart.

In terms of quality control, the CS built Boddo Mills is way ahead of the Aurora KMills or the Russian versions that have been built over the years, and maybe not quite up to the Irvine standard. I have examples of all four (Irvine, CS, KMills, Russian) and one original Mk1 1.3 Mills to compare. The original feels *very* solid and well-built and runs well even at 60 years old, although it's no powerhouse.

Only my opinion though, and there will be others.