Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:34 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,465 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Electrostik...

Hi Guys....

As soon as I received notification that the Electrostiks, were in, I ordered one, and received it two days later, with the intention of building it immediately, but as with most plans, this just didn`t happen. However, I got to fly one yesterday (I`m writing this at 2:23 in the morning) and while I think that one might have been a bit under powered, it flew great (as any Ugly Stick always does) The one I flew had an E-flite motor on it, but as noted, I don`t think a particularly powerful one. The plane also didn`t have the control surfaces set for much movement, and the plane was very docile, and landed like a feather...

So....this was all I needed to make me come home and finish mine!! And believe me guys...you can build this one in a matter of a very few hours!!

Mine will NOT be underpowered. I have installed an AXI 2826-10, using Thunderpower 4S 3300 Extreme V2 batteries, an APC 12-6 prop, and a Hacker X-55-SB ESC. With this setup, I am drawing 49-50 amps and getting almost 900 watts with a fully charged battery. I didn`t run it full throttle for long, as my batteries are brand new as is everything else in the plane. I was curious how much vertical this setup was capable of, and so I took it held it vertical and advanced the throttle....There is absolutely no doubt this plane will have as much vertical as I will every want, as it wanted to climb right out of my hand.

While I am an old-time to RC (nitro fixed wing, helis, and sailplanes), and have been flying EDFs since March, this is my first prop driven electric plane. I am amazed at how much power this combo has. I used to fly Great Planes 40 and 60 size Ugly Sticks, with YS 45 on tuned pipes, and YS 60s on tuned pipes, and of course would flatten the wing when I would build them, so they had no dihedral, but I don`t think any of them had the power from a standing vertical start that I believe this plane will have.

I can`t wait to fly this plane later today!!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2008, 05:40 AM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
Haha, that's awesome.

Make sure to post a flight report, I'm curious how it flies. I'm a reluctant Stik fan, as the first airplane I owned and soloed on was a BS 40.
Jon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Jon Craig
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:37 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Sweet. Hope it goes well. Is this plane about the same size a Mini Ultra Stick?
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:40 AM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
No, the ElectroStik is a lot bigger. 52".
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:42 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Oh.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 10:49 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Sounds just a tad bigger than the Ultra Stick 25E to me.

I just replaced the anemic glow 25 on my U.S. 25E (on there when I bought it) with a AXI 2820/8, a 10x5 apc and a 3S 4200. Flies like a dream now!

Have a blast with your stick Steve! Lookin forward to hearin how you like it.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:22 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModemMisuser
No, the ElectroStik is a lot bigger. 52".
Is it 50" or 52"?
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:31 AM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot glue
Is it 50" or 52"?
Check the website.

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma7500.html

52.75".
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:54 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
But on Towerhobbies says 50".
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:33 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,837 Posts
Hmmm, I always thought an "Electric Stick" was a cattle prod .

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Aug 01, 2008, 05:17 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,465 Posts
Hi CD....

And I always thought a CD was something that contained data or music.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2008, 07:03 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,465 Posts
Hi Guys..

I wanted to post this earlier, but didn`t have time... Electrostik maidened today, what can I say, flys like an Ugly Stick...not the worlds fastest plane, but very stable, and if you are any kind of an accomplished flyer, the controls on the suggested high rate setting will not be nearly enough for you. I now have my low rates set for the factory suggested high rate, and have the rates set for basically twice as much, and may go for more. My plane took two clicks of down elevator, and one click of left aileron, and no rudder trim changes.

With the power setup that I listed in my first post, it gets air-born in about 20 feet off of deep grass,(with "normal" throttle) and once it clears the ground goes vertical as long as I want to hold it, and it does it quite quickly. The wind was really gusty so I didn`t get a chance to try any harriers with it, but I have no doubt it will do them. Inverted was a breeze with no down elevator needed at all....just roll it over and fly it...you can`t ask for more than that.

Flight time with the previously mentioned setup gave me 5.5 minutes with voltage at 14.86 volts at the end of the flight. These are new batteries, and will probably get better after a few cycles.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2008, 09:46 PM
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
Just flew mine today. With the included rimfire motor and speed control, I used a D9 2200 3S pack from united hobbies. Performance was excellent for sport flying and I would highly encourage others to take a close look at this one. I cant 3D except to re-kit a plane so i've no idea on how it would perform in that realm.
garlonbs is offline Find More Posts by garlonbs
Old Aug 01, 2008, 09:51 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Video?
Old Aug 04, 2008, 04:14 PM
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
Quick update on my stik. Changed the stock prop to an apc 11X5.5 (stock is 11X8.5) and dropped the amp draw from almost 37 to 25. This makes it alot easier to fly on a single 2100 or 2200 battery. Flight time was about 7 min and had about 25% remaining on the pack. Lost a little bit of vertical performance but for just knock around sport flying the plane is a dream to fly and I dont have the expense of new batteries since all mine are 3S 2200's. Effortless inverted flight and had a blast doing half loops inside and outside until i could barely see the plane. Great visability with the white squares on red. Cant recommend this plane enough for a knock around sport flyer.
garlonbs is offline Find More Posts by garlonbs