HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:08 PM
3d with an airliner
Tampa, Florida United States
Joined Dec 2006
136 Posts
Idea
rc go-kart

i have a used baja 150cc go-kart i plan on using it for my latest project which is making it run off my one of my specktrum radios

i got pneumatics for brakes

and taking out the throtle spring for use with a bb metal gear servo

but steering is a bit of an issue

its the letting go of the steering and having the vehical not turn

my idea is to use power wheel chairs the ones that can do 360 turns take the electronics or just buy electronics and use the turning function which is fully proportional and control it with a servo to the joy stick thing with a plate to prevent the fore and aft movement of the joy stick so its only left and right

im going to put the power wheel chair motors on the go-kart linked to the steering wheel via wheel chair wheel and car fan belt

i want to put a heli hh gyro on the steering channel then the servo that way the go-kart centers it self when i stop providing control input

Does any one suppose this would work???
Francisco1 is offline Find More Posts by Francisco1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:31 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
i would guess u need to do it mechanically .. it sounds like a rather large project that would require a heavy duty servo .. a normal hh gyro may not drive the servo u would need but then again im not fully picturing the control setup you have in mind ..
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Aug 01, 2008, 07:44 AM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
What do you plan on doing with this big RC go-kart?

sounds like a terrorist project to me
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1
Old Aug 01, 2008, 07:45 AM
3d with an airliner
Joined Dec 2006
136 Posts
well Dze,

im going to use power wheel chair electronics to rive the steering wheel

the joy stick of the power wheel chair is conected to a 72 oz serzo and to a gyro then the reciver

the wheel chair electronics serves as my big powerful for/rev esc with no brake and it its also proportionalfor small inputs
Old Aug 01, 2008, 07:48 AM
3d with an airliner
Joined Dec 2006
136 Posts
well max1,

no its my summer project

i get bored as hell being at the hobby shop every day fixing helis so i need to have a project of my own to help my aura

in other words it makes me feel good inside
Old Aug 01, 2008, 10:25 AM
Northern Ontario
Joined Apr 2008
28 Posts
It will work and keep the kart going straight without inputs from you.

Say you are going over ruff terrain fast and the kart gets bumped around it will try to keep the original course of travel....

So it will act like a auto pilot on a fish finder or electric motor on a base boat with auto pilot feature if the boat gets push off course it tries to get back on track..
nleduc is offline Find More Posts by nleduc
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:27 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,317 Posts
To center the steering with the stick centered you would need to make a circuit board to control the wheelchair servo. Just like in a RC servo. Most RC servo's have a pot in them to tell the control board where the arm is positioned. It reads the input signal, then moves the arm to the commanded position. So what you would do is put a pot or position sensor on the steering wheel shaft. Make a control circuit to detect the position, and interpret the transmitter signal. The DIY Electronics forum has some talented people that could probably help design it. I was thinking a standard servo circuit board could be modified to control it.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Aug 01, 2008, 09:26 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Would this be a little easier to set up? http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com/...e8d1863d8f2867
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Aug 02, 2008, 02:43 AM
3d with an airliner
Joined Dec 2006
136 Posts
wow thanks jason its just a matter of figuring out the required voltage

i have a motor to use with a pully its just monting the pentomieter

or just add a gyro to its as well

i live i florida so i dont worrie about ruff course changing terrian
Old Aug 02, 2008, 07:39 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
You could fit the pot to the steering column
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Aug 02, 2008, 09:12 AM
Joined Apr 2008
493 Posts
Useing a Tone 105 servo is the easiest solution. Most powerful servo made. 5000 oz.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Aug 07, 2008, 12:23 PM
Talk soft, carry a big plane.
northern colorado
Joined Jul 2007
230 Posts
I think trying to put a HH gyro on a surface vehicle of this description is asking for trouble. It will be picking up every little bounce and trying to correct. I would expect it to be over-working the servo trying to keep up with minute corrections. You can always try a cheap one and see. My gut says it won't be reliable, but I'd be interested to see if it responds in this application.
maxadventure is offline Find More Posts by maxadventure
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:04 AM
3d with an airliner
Joined Dec 2006
136 Posts
Update I just found this video while doing some file archiving.

The whole point of the gyro was to serve as a feed back position sensor for the wheel chair motor drivers.

without it, returning the control stick to center would just keep the go kart turing in circles unless i counter steered to bring the wheels back straight.

But no matter I found a motor controller that has a position feed back input so i can turn any large motor into a super servo by just adding a potentiometer for position sensing.

Nino Francisco D. Estrada Full Scale R/C Go-kart (1 min 38 sec)
Old Oct 06, 2011, 10:50 AM
Talk soft, carry a big plane.
northern colorado
Joined Jul 2007
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco1 View Post
Update ..... I found a motor controller that has a position feed back input so i can turn any large motor into a super servo by just adding a potentiometer for position sensing....
Nice! Are you willing to share/link said motor controller?
maxadventure is offline Find More Posts by maxadventure
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:03 AM
3d with an airliner
Joined Dec 2006
136 Posts
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/95

I used the Jrk 12v12, all the controlers in this category share the same programing features, but at different power levels. the12v12 is good for large motors( wheel chair motors) while the other controllers are good for smaller motors winshield wipers, or small dc motors.